Special Ops Paintball: Is there a Mr. Motivator in the house? - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is there a Mr. Motivator in the house? Need some help, regarding younglings. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   SabreUK 

• Lounge Monkey
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Who cares?

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:11 PM

The Six Dales Walk has been held every year since 1957. A challenge for teams (min. 4, max. 7) of members of the Scout association, it traverses 42 miles of Yorkshire's countryside, from Ribblesdale to the Vale of York, with a 12hour maximum time limit, though a team may be timed out before the 12hr mark if they do not make it to checkpoints before designated times.

I'm doing this race on the 28th of Sep again this year. And my team is going to win it, I'm confident of that.

I need your help though... We've been asked to train a younger group of the local Scouts to take our place after we leave this year. About a month ago I took this potential team on a "hike" to test their navigation skills and what have you. In a word: Useless. In a sentence: "Wow, what a waste of time, they suck and have the attention span of a shoal of fish with ADHD."

They have no motivation, and seem very nonchalant about representing our town. Their laissez-faire attitude will not get them anywhere if they are to succeed in the event. It's tough, and will need determination to get further than half way.

This is where I need your help... I have no patience with them any more but need to try and motivate them. My thinking was that if they're not interested, they won't do it... But I need to try and get them into it really.
So, any ideas (cash bribes are out) of ways to motivate them would be greatly appreciated, as I'm stumped.

This post has been edited by SabreUK: 16 August 2008 - 03:25 PM

#2 User is offline   Thorax 

• PipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:18 PM

I like how you used the term "laissez-faire". Made my day.

I got nothing for you though...

#3 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:20 PM

Point out that it'll get them into college and jobs easier. :ghillie:

-Tenacious

#4 User is offline   SabreUK 

• Lounge Monkey
  • PipPip

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:24 PM

That's a good idea Ten - I'll also have to ask them what they wanna do for a living - It would look good on a Military application portfolio for sure.

#5 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:28 PM

Hmm.....give them something tangible to work towards....Not so much a briber as it is a goal. IE If they win, they go to Disney World. (May be not that, but something they'd be willing to work for.)

Depending on the age....Younger kids need a lot more extrinsic motivators than do older ones.
Can you incorporate GPS into the program? Kids love techie stuff.

Worst case scenario: find a punishment, give them a taste, then threaten.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#6 User is offline   SabreUK 

• Lounge Monkey
  • PipPip

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:32 PM

Well, we've lent them a GPS to learn how to use, for a different purpose, but we could tell them to use it for that... good idea, as my team went the wrong way on our first race. (and still won our sections :D )

As for a reward... I suppose that's a good idea. Disney World or anything like that would go against our group's old-skool beliefs, but you're right, maybe a trip rafting or something could be mentioned... That could be what the sponsor money goes on.

As for a punishment... I'm sure I could find some... :ghillie:

This post has been edited by SabreUK: 16 August 2008 - 03:32 PM

#7 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:41 PM

What age group are you working with?
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123

#8 User is offline   SabreUK 

• Lounge Monkey
  • PipPip

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:43 PM

14 - 16 year olds... They confuse me, sometimes they display a lot of maturity and sometimes they amaze me with their stupidity.

#9 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:47 PM

Iworked with that age group a LOT in my days in Civil Air Patrol. In fact, CAP is how I managed to visit the UK in 2000.

My kids all joined CAP for the military experience, and the more military it was, the better they liked it. I found that by giving them something to work AGAINST, it often brought them together. It required a lot of energy on my part to play the drill sergeant, but it did work. And the harder I pushed them, the better they did. Often the trouble lies in simply getting started. But I am sure if you can find a way to hook one or two, the whole group will come around.

#10 User is offline   SabreUK 

• Lounge Monkey
  • PipPip

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:54 PM

Ah. You know I think that's a really good idea.
The group used to be really regimented, but through the "modernization" of Scouting it has become less strict, and a lot of emphasis has been put onto making it appear non-military.
All that did was attract time wasters IMHO.
I could use that theory to train them, as walking alone has no real plot... I could try and speed them up by telling them another group/team will set off x≈minutes behind them, and will try to hunt them down... You think that would work?

#11 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:57 PM

Perhaps, or split your group into two teams. Or find another troop to practice against. Competition has gotten a bad rap. I think it is motivating to kids to be able to excel and do well. Competition feeds an inner need.

Maybe make it a scenario game like paintball. In fact, land navigation and paintball would make an excellent combination game.

#12 User is offline   Volker 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:11 PM

Lol, Im an Eagle, I'm 16, and I even amaze myself with my own stupidity.
Is it a hiking competition, or just like a race? 42 miles in 12 hours? Just sounds like a race to me.

#13 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:17 PM

Chain a rapid dog to them and put the key at the finish

#14 User is offline   SabreUK 

• Lounge Monkey
  • PipPip

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:53 AM

Perhaps, or split your group into two teams. Or find another troop to practice against. Competition has gotten a bad rap. I think it is motivating to kids to be able to excel and do well. Competition feeds an inner need.

Good idea, we've done similar things before, so I'm sure it won't be too hard to explain to them... I hope.

Is it a hiking competition, or just like a race? 42 miles in 12 hours? Just sounds like a race to me.

As a general reule we hike, and it's a competition, therefore it's a hiking competition. :P
But we're trying to beat others, and run when we can, so it's a race.
It's both.
What would you class as a hiking comp?

#15 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:08 AM

View PostMaj Tom, on Aug 16 2008, 04:17 PM, said:

Chain a rapid dog to them and put the key at the finish

Are you trying to say Rabid, cause that would make more sense about having the Key at the Finish Line to unlock the Lock and Chain.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users