• You cannot reply to this topic

Pet Peeves of a Commander Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ninjasofpaintball 

• Phoenix Burn. Represent!
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:59 PM

This post is going to be dedicated to your pet peeves on the field. Ill start:

My pet peeve on the field as a commander is when you split up the group 50/50 and it ends up like 16/84
Check us out on youtube! Click Here!

#2 User is offline   1-I 

• Creator of the number 7
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:1-I

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:19 PM

"We are an organised, dedicated charge assault group, we can lead the pack to the bunker"

one minute and 50 yards to the target later

"We cant move up they have too many, our cover is blown, they got position"

one flank move from one or two guys later

"YEAH! did you see how good we were, we ran up and laid cover fire, johnny must have nailed at least a dozen! WE ROCK, WE ROCK, WE ROCK"

flankers return, quietly and the four hostiles leave the field, they donst stop celebrating until the "elite ambush" nails them later
(one guy in simple cover)
Posted Image

Glory is for the weak.

#3 User is online   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:10 AM

Most of my "command"experience has been playing as General in scenarios, which has its own sub-set of commander peeves.
Like:

Players who leave the game with mission cards still in their pockets, never to be seen again.

Discovering that scenario players are like high-school girls: they all have to go pee at the same time. so without warning the 10 guys who were holding the left flank all leave the field simultaneously.

Discovering a dozen major rule changes 2 hours before game time.

Discovering that I have been drafted as General 2 hours before game time.

Having all 3 tanks on our side crap out within 5 minutes of each other.

#4 User is offline   D.B.D 

• Snipar4
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Snipar4

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:23 AM

Taking the lead position cause the other players won't advance just to find out, that they are 20 meters behind you or there is 5 of them trying to hide behind the same tree as you.

You ask for them to give you cover fire and they only fire 2 shots. Rapidly, and not even in the direction of the enemy.
Aim for anything that is visible, most of my shots are either leg, elbow or head... that is if you see me first.

#5 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

View PostD.B.D, on 22 February 2011 - 09:23 AM, said:

Taking the lead position cause the other players won't advance just to find out, that they are 20 meters behind you or there is 5 of them trying to hide behind the same tree as you.

You ask for them to give you cover fire and they only fire 2 shots. Rapidly, and not even in the direction of the enemy.

This - while playing stock class.

#6 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:15 AM

Field commander type issues

-"You're not my boss! I can do what I want" (Okay then, maybe you have an idea of what to do?)

-"That's stupid! I'll get shot." (Well, you'll get shot for sure sitting here looking dumb, so go for broke. This is paintball after all)

-"We can't move, they're shooting at us." when we outnumber them.

Scenario general/XO issues

-Radios breaking down

-Tanks breaking down

-Rule changes at the last second.

-Rule changes mid-game (don't laugh, it's happened before)

-Scenario roles not doing their job and/or running around without a communications device (ever try to find your anti-tank guys when a tank's hitting your objective and they don't have a radio? Not fun)

-Players who don't get why I don't want their markers in my command tent/bunker/hq/whatever

Team Captain issues

-Players who commit to be there and don't turn up

-Players who show up, late, and unprepared (such as troubleshooting their gear half an hour before game on)

Had to deal with all of these at some point or other.
Member of Team Akkadian

#7 User is offline   Rathje 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rathje

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

Breaks between games in the woods to "get a drink" and "refill on ammo" that end up turning into 30 minute BS sessions.

Another would be when you have a lot of newbs, and they all decide to stay behind "to guard the flag."

Other than that, honestly, you can't really command in a pickup game. Not usually. Everyone is just there to mess around, and shoot a lot. And everyone is an individualist. So no one really wants to take orders. So you can't really be "commander." At best, all you can be is "head suggester."

"Hey guys, if they take that central ridge-line, we're going to be shot at for the rest of the game. Let's run really fast off the starting horn and take it first!"

Usually, stuff like that is the best you can do. And since pickup games are all I do - that's pretty much the long and short of it.

Ironically, I think Dagger actually works better as a commander position in small pickup woodsball games than the other positions. I play "Dagger" (if you care about the SpecOps positions) typically, and have found that in small games I can actually set the tempo of the game and what my team does pretty well. I'm the first guy running from the starting line, and I end up running recon - so I'm the one who makes first contact with the enemy and decides WHERE we start the fight. So I can actually have a big tactical impact on the game by that fact alone. If I take off running, odds are really good that two or three guys will follow me. If I can pick the position from which they start the fight, I can get the battle set up how I want. Then I run my flanking moves and other typical Dagger behavior.

Also, woodsballers just don't listen to the guy who is sitting in the back behind a tree yelling at everyone to "move up!" It just looks wussy.

"Yeah sure - you want me to go out there and get creamed, but I don't see YOU moving your butt out there."

Woodsballers just ignore the annoying guy who yells a lot, but doesn't move at all. I know I would. I have no reason to think he has any clue what's going on. As far as I'm concerned, he's just some dude with a big head who wants to stroke his ego by bossing a bunch of people around. Commanders have to earn the right to command from the rear - by working with the same group of guys day after day - so that those guys learn that he knows what he's talking about, and understand that he's just as capable of putting himself on the line as anyone.

But you can't do that in a pickup game. So my advice to would-be commanders in small pickup woodsball games is shut up and get moving yourself.

Imagine I'm crouched behind some bunker and taking fire from several enemy in the treeline, all the while ignoring that obnoxious dude twenty feet back who's been yelling useless vague instructions at us like "get moving" for the last minute or so. Then some paintball player comes sprinting up to my bunker like he knows what he's doing.

"Hey" he says as he takes up position next to me "what you got in front of you?"

I explain what I'm dealing with.

"OK" he says "here's an idea. When I give the word, you start shooting at them, I'll make a quick run to that boulder to the left - right there. Then I'll start shooting at them. Once I've got their attention, I'll wave you over and cover for you. If we can get into those bushes on the far left, I think we can nail them from behind before they know we're there. How's that sound to you?"

Well, now I'm actually motivated. I'm stoked to try this out. The guy has a plan, it sounds like a good one - and HE'S willing to put his own neck on the line first to see if it works!

Yeah, I'll follow that guy. The loudmouth behind me can go hang it in his ear for all I care. A guy who leads from the front inspires immediate confidence. That's what you need in a pickup game. That's why I think the front player is actually better suited for limited commanding than the Broadsword in the back. The most that guy can do is lay down a lot of confidence inspiring covering fire and hope it motivates people to do something proactive.

Small game commanding is all about managing expectations. And the first and most important person's expectations to manage are your own. You aren't going to get SWAT team coordination. So don't try. Just lead from the front, initiate stuff, and invite people to move up and join you at the front. Two or three games of that kind of solid, proactive and confident behavior, and people will naturally start deferring to you by the end of the day, and you can step things up a bit.

But your legs should always be moving more than your mouth.

#8 User is offline   D.B.D 

• Snipar4
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Snipar4

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:26 PM

What he said above. ^
Aim for anything that is visible, most of my shots are either leg, elbow or head... that is if you see me first.

#9 User is offline   Animal Mother 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:///Animal Mother///

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:28 AM

View PostRathje, on 26 February 2011 - 11:10 PM, said:

honestly, you can't really command in a pickup game. Not usually. Everyone is just there to mess around, and shoot a lot. And everyone is an individualist. So no one really wants to take orders. So you can't really be "commander."

I totally disagree, and I'll explain why...

I've been to plenty of walk on games at local fields, and been witness to how stale those games can become in a very short amount of time. People just sit behind pallet bunkers and shoot(sometimes blindly) at whatevers in front of them. More often then not, walk on players love a little direction. Most weekend warriors are just that. They have no real world experience, and when given a task, they jump at the chance. When you turn a sea of bunker monkeys into a wave of storm troopers, the effect is 100% positive. Before you know it, those same folks that were tucked in behind pallets like their feet were stuck in quiksand, are now leap frogging, providing cover fire, and best of all, now they are talking...Talking to each other on the field, talking in the safe zones, and at their cars...about what a great time they had, and how they can't wait to come back.

By giving them direction, opening their eyes to a bigger picture, and last but not least, leading them to victory, you create an atmosphere that breeds better players. They become better in their own skill sets, better communicators, and lastly, they become better ambassadors to our sport. They take what they have learned, and pass it on to the next generation.

I've seen the GOOD that a few well placed ORDERS can do....if someone wants to LABEL that as BARKING...then I'm willing to wear that LABEL...lol

This post has been edited by Animal Mother: 27 February 2011 - 10:52 AM

#10 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:59 AM

People who take the game WAYYYYY to seriously. So we lost a game, big deal. People going on about "they cheated/wiping/had more players/ect," it affects the mood of the whole group. Instead they should just load up, gear up, and get ready for the next game. Who knows, we might win this time, eh?
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#11 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:04 PM

Having no idea what to do....

Honestly.....if you do a good job leading most of the time.....and then get into a pickle....and have no idea what to do. It happens. Then you start making things up, and sometimes you win and sometimes not. I just hate it when that occasional situation happens. Everybody looking at me to tell them what to do.....and I just have no idea.

This post has been edited by I.K.E.: 17 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#12 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:56 AM

Even the best plans never survive contact with the enemy. Learning to "wing it" is where experience comes into play as a commander, and sometime telling your teammates to shut up for just a second so you can think, lol
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#13 User is offline   pathfinder82 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:pathfinder101

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

My pet peeve as a commander is when you ask your team to clear room and you find out the guys with you are afraid of clearing it cause they dont want to get shot.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users