Special Ops Paintball: Tippman A-5 vs Invert Mini - Special Ops Paintball

Jump to content


  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tippman A-5 vs Invert Mini which is better overall Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   B18DelSolT 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 22-September 08

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:33 AM

Hello everyone,

I currently play woods ball right now with a Tipmman A-5, i feel i need an upgrade and i have read great reviews on the invert mini. I just have a couple questions.

1) is it worth the upgrade?
2) It uses less air so how far does the gun shoot average? like does the a-5 shoot farther?
3) Accuracy, would you say its more accurate then a a-5?
4) Power, do the balls shoot at the same rate or stronger than the a-5, a lot of people i play with dont the balls appearntly never burst on them... bs lol
4) what are mods that you guys would suggest for the gun, well after i recuperate from buying it lol.
5) what hopper would you also recommend to use with the gun?

Thanks for any info/guidance

B18DelSolT

This post has been edited by B18DelSolT: 28 September 2010 - 05:44 AM

0

#2 User is offline   Zz Loth zZ 

  • Wellst Obviously We Have a Rapist
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 166
  • Joined: 17-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:GA, USA
  • Brigade Name:ZZLOTHZZ

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:14 AM

View PostB18DelSolT, on 28 September 2010 - 08:33 AM, said:

Hello everyone,

I currently play woods ball right now with a Tipmman A-5, i feel i need an upgrade and i have read great reviews on the invert mini. I just have a couple questions.

1) is it worth the upgrade?
2) It uses less air so how far does the gun shoot average? like does the a-5 shoot farther?
3) Accuracy, would you say its more accurate then a a-5?
4) Power, do the balls shoot at the same rate or stronger than the a-5, a lot of people i play with dont the balls appearntly never burst on them... bs lol
4) what are mods that you guys would suggest for the gun, well after i recuperate from buying it lol.
5) what hopper would you also recommend to use with the gun?

Thanks for any info/guidance

B18DelSolT


I would definitely say that it is an upgrade to the a-5.

1) I would say yes, it is worth the upgrade. (this is just my opinion)
2) This isn't a problem. The reason it uses less air is because the design of the marker is much more efficient than the mechanical blow-back design of the a-5. So, if you set both the mini, and the a-5 to 290fps, the mini would use less air to shoot a pod of paint, than the a-5.
3) Yes, because the mini is more consistent than the a-5, it has the ability to be more accurate.
4) This is determined by your velocity. You can change the velocity on both the a-5, and the mini (you can change the velocity on almost any marker). So if you have them both set to 290 fps, they will both shoot with the exact same "power". Although the mini might shoot with a more consistent "power".
5) Probably a new barrel, if you have any that have cocker threads they will work for it.
6) I use the Too with my mini. You just want a hopper that will feed consistently. If you have the money to spend, go ahead and get a rotor, or one of the other high end hoppers, it's hard to go wrong with them.
1

#3 User is offline   B18DelSolT 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 22-September 08

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:47 AM

View PostZz Loth zZ, on 28 September 2010 - 07:14 AM, said:

View PostB18DelSolT, on 28 September 2010 - 08:33 AM, said:

Hello everyone,

I currently play woods ball right now with a Tipmman A-5, i feel i need an upgrade and i have read great reviews on the invert mini. I just have a couple questions.

1) is it worth the upgrade?
2) It uses less air so how far does the gun shoot average? like does the a-5 shoot farther?
3) Accuracy, would you say its more accurate then a a-5?
4) Power, do the balls shoot at the same rate or stronger than the a-5, a lot of people i play with dont the balls appearntly never burst on them... bs lol
4) what are mods that you guys would suggest for the gun, well after i recuperate from buying it lol.
5) what hopper would you also recommend to use with the gun?

Thanks for any info/guidance

B18DelSolT


I would definitely say that it is an upgrade to the a-5.

1) I would say yes, it is worth the upgrade. (this is just my opinion)
2) This isn't a problem. The reason it uses less air is because the design of the marker is much more efficient than the mechanical blow-back design of the a-5. So, if you set both the mini, and the a-5 to 290fps, the mini would use less air to shoot a pod of paint, than the a-5.
3) Yes, because the mini is more consistent than the a-5, it has the ability to be more accurate.
4) This is determined by your velocity. You can change the velocity on both the a-5, and the mini (you can change the velocity on almost any marker). So if you have them both set to 290 fps, they will both shoot with the exact same "power". Although the mini might shoot with a more consistent "power".
5) Probably a new barrel, if you have any that have cocker threads they will work for it.
6) I use the Too with my mini. You just want a hopper that will feed consistently. If you have the money to spend, go ahead and get a rotor, or one of the other high end hoppers, it's hard to go wrong with them.


Thanks for the quick reply. I was looking at the ones one empires page. something like this (http://www.empirepai...-drive-loader/) you think this would be fine?
0

#4 User is offline   ger 

  • Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,676
  • Joined: 31-August 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western PA

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:01 AM

View PostB18DelSolT, on 28 September 2010 - 08:33 AM, said:

Hello everyone,

I currently play woods ball right now with a Tipmman A-5, i feel i need an upgrade and i have read great reviews on the invert mini. I just have a couple questions.

1) is it worth the upgrade? That's totally a matter of opinion.
Overall the Mini is a better marker, but whether or not spending the money to upgrade is worth it is up to you.
2) It uses less air so how far does the gun shoot average? like does the a-5 shoot farther?
Distance of the paintball will be no different than the A-5 - 280fps is 280fps.
3) Accuracy, would you say its more accurate then a a-5?
Yes. Mostly for two reasons - 1. It's regulated & 2. The marker operation creates less kick than an A-5
4) Power, do the balls shoot at the same rate or stronger than the a-5, a lot of people i play with dont the balls appearntly never burst on them... bs lol
"Power" of the paintball will be no different than the A-5 - 280fps is 280fps.
4) what are mods that you guys would suggest for the gun, well after i recuperate from buying it lol.
There's not a lot to upgrade on the Mini, atleast when compared to the A-5 or even other electro's. There just isn't a ton of aftermarket parts, which can be a good thing. The barrel is always a good place to start on most markers. Upgrading the board may be desirable as well. But again, that's a matter of preference/opinion.
5) what hopper would you also recommend to use with the gun?
Pretty much any force feed hopper would work well so long as it's not some $15 VL from Wal-Mart. The Halo hopper & all its variants are very popular, and w/ good reason... they are a good product. But there are plenty of other kinds out there.

Thanks for any info/guidance

B18DelSolT


Now I have some questions for you.
Are you aware the Mini runs on HPA, not CO2?
Do you run HPA on your A-5?
If not, are you in a location where HPA fills are readily available?
If you answered no to all the above, then rethink your options. Another thing to consider is the cost of an HPA tank. Just some extra food for thought.

BTW - Welcome to the Forums, even though you joined two years ago.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.
0

#5 User is offline   B18DelSolT 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 22-September 08

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:33 AM

Now I have some questions for you.
Are you aware the Mini runs on HPA, not CO2?
Do you run HPA on your A-5?
If not, are you in a location where HPA fills are readily available?
If you answered no to all the above, then rethink your options. Another thing to consider is the cost of an HPA tank. Just some extra food for thought.

BTW - Welcome to the Forums, even though you joined two years ago.


well i would read a lot here never really posted lol, most of my issues ive solved and as far as opinions i have read here. HPA is a nitro tank right? ya i have one (crossfire 68ci/4500psi) but you cant use co2 at all? also now that you mention that, does it matter that my tank is high pressure vs low pressure? I hope 1 Nitro tank will be enough. Damn have a lot of CO2 Tanks to

This post has been edited by B18DelSolT: 28 September 2010 - 07:38 AM

0

#6 User is offline   ger 

  • Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,676
  • Joined: 31-August 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western PA

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:49 AM

Correct, HPA = Nitro. Your high pressure tank will be perfectly fine to use w/ the Mini... the internal regulator in the marker lowers the incoming air to the required operating pressure. Do not use CO2 w/ the Mini. I'm assuming you play outlaw & aren't typically playing at an organized field where fills would be available during play. 1 HPA tank should suffice, but I guess it depends on how much you shoot - rough estimate, you should get over 1000 shots per fill w/ a 68/45 tank w/ the Mini. The Mini is a bit more efficient than an A-5 so you'll certainly get more shots w/ it than the A-5.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.
0

#7 User is offline   Thalion 

  • Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,984
  • Joined: 22-January 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Twin Cities, MN

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:51 AM

View PostB18DelSolT, on 28 September 2010 - 09:33 AM, said:

well i would read a lot here never really posted lol, most of my issues ive solved and as far as opinions i have read here. HPA is a nitro tank right? ya i have one (crossfire 68ci/4500psi) but you cant use co2 at all? also now that you mention that, does it matter that my tank is high pressure vs low pressure? I hope 1 Nitro tank will be enough. Damn have a lot of CO2 Tanks to


Yes, an HPA tank and a N2 (nitrogen) tank are the same thing.

Yes, your Crossfire 68/4500 is one.

No, you cannot use CO2 at all. You will get liquid CO2 in the solenoid, and you will break it. The mini (and nearly any electro) need HPA/N2 (either will fill and work in your tank, but HPA is the most common available fill) to function.

How many shots do you use in a paintball game? One tank should be enough for most fields. If playing outlaw, you may want to keep a CO2 marker handy just in case you do run out of HPA.

Either a HP or LP tank will work on the Mini. Only certain older markers require the LP output; the rest can regulate it down to where they need it anyway.
Member of Team Akkadian

0

#8 User is offline   B18DelSolT 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 22-September 08

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:45 AM

View PostThalion, on 28 September 2010 - 10:51 AM, said:

View PostB18DelSolT, on 28 September 2010 - 09:33 AM, said:

well i would read a lot here never really posted lol, most of my issues ive solved and as far as opinions i have read here. HPA is a nitro tank right? ya i have one (crossfire 68ci/4500psi) but you cant use co2 at all? also now that you mention that, does it matter that my tank is high pressure vs low pressure? I hope 1 Nitro tank will be enough. Damn have a lot of CO2 Tanks to


Yes, an HPA tank and a N2 (nitrogen) tank are the same thing.

Yes, your Crossfire 68/4500 is one.

No, you cannot use CO2 at all. You will get liquid CO2 in the solenoid, and you will break it. The mini (and nearly any electro) need HPA/N2 (either will fill and work in your tank, but HPA is the most common available fill) to function.

How many shots do you use in a paintball game? One tank should be enough for most fields. If playing outlaw, you may want to keep a CO2 marker handy just in case you do run out of HPA.

Either a HP or LP tank will work on the Mini. Only certain older markers require the LP output; the rest can regulate it down to where they need it anyway.


It all varies, i buy a 2000 ball box and share it with my brother. but worst comes to worst ill just invest in a scuba tank to refill my tank.
0

#9 User is offline   ger 

  • Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,676
  • Joined: 31-August 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western PA

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

If I'm not mistaken, scuba tanks are only 3000 psi vs. the 4500 psi of your HPA tank. No big deal, you can still fill your tank w/ it, but only w/ 3000 psi air... meaning you'll get maybe 700 shots per fill instead of over 1000 w/ the 4500 fill. Again, just something to think about.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.
0

#10 User is offline   B18DelSolT 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 22-September 08

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:50 AM

View Postger, on 28 September 2010 - 01:29 PM, said:

If I'm not mistaken, scuba tanks are only 3000 psi vs. the 4500 psi of your HPA tank. No big deal, you can still fill your tank w/ it, but only w/ 3000 psi air... meaning you'll get maybe 700 shots per fill instead of over 1000 w/ the 4500 fill. Again, just something to think about.


is there something proper other than a scuba tank to get for that? well that is also portable. like my friend bought one a scuba tank the other day and we actually used it on sunday while we were out.

p.s. thanks for all the advice everyone, anyone here from CT?
0

#11 User is offline   Krazy8 

  • User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Posts: 2,555
  • Joined: 30-January 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rathdrum , ID
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:22 AM

There is the option to rent a nitrogen tank from a welding supply shop. They are big, heavy and tend to cost about $100 to get filled plus whatever the company charges for a yearly rental fee on the tank itself.
But they typically come with 5000psi in the tank so you would need to make sure a regulator is included in that tank rental so you can control the output pressure of the fill station...yes you would need to create a fill station to attach to the regulator on the bulk tank. But often times the welding supply companies understand what paitnball players need and help in the proper assembly of a good fil station.

Then there is also the possibilty of renting a high pressure bulk tank from a SCUBA dive shop. They have high pressure tanks that go upto 6000psi for remote fills at dive sights, so they should be able to rent those out. Again you would need a regulator and fill station assembly to safely fill your smaller tanks. I have seen these regulated fill stations for sale on ebay regularly so finding them is not to much trouble....the cost is however. They tend to run in the $200-$300 price range just for the regulated fill station.

Both of the above options would offer five outlaw players all the air they could shoot for five or six outings. Yes there is a whole bunch of air there.

So there are other options out there, they are just expensive. My suggestion would be to find a few scuba tanks and use the cascade fill method to achieve 3000psi fills all day long.
The cascade method is really simple. Fill from the lowest pressure SCUBA tanks first to do the bulk of the fills on your empty HPA tanks. That uses the pressure in those lower tanks to fill volume. Then move to the next tank that has a higher pressure...then move to the next highest SCUBA.
This cascade method keeps the higher pressure tanks higher long due to useing less volume of air to complete the fill. THe lower tanks get the lower pressure drained and maximizes the remaining pressure in that SCUBA to it greatest potential...getting you the most out of your money spent on getting the SCUBA tanks filled.
Always have a designated start tank and follow the same procedure each time you fill based on the pressure of the HPA being filed.
It is very easy once you develope a system and everyone that fills understands why it is done that way so no one wastes air.

Outlaw is fun...even more so when you have alll the air you want during the day.

Happy hunting!

This post has been edited by Krazy8: 29 September 2010 - 08:23 AM

0

#12 User is offline   Midnight1403 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 09-September 09

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:16 PM

Consider a TM-7/15
0

#13 User is offline   Benaiah 

  • If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 280
  • Joined: 30-August 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:03 AM

View PostMidnight1403, on 29 September 2010 - 07:16 PM, said:

Consider a TM-7/15

Another option would be a Phenom. One advantage the A5 has over the Mini is that it is much more rugged and durable, and it has many more upgrades for it that are dedicated to woodsball. The mini is mainly a speedball gun, but you can use it in the woods. It would be much more susceptible to dirt and water damage, however. A woodsball dedicated gun would be much more durable, and accept more mods like stocks sights.

As for performance, the A5 is a fully mechanical gun, run on a blowback system. This is quite inefficient and is not consistent at all. The Phenom and the TM series are all electro pneumatic, and would be more consistent and thus accurate. The TM-7 is essentially a mini inside a more mil-sim shell, and runs for $380. It would give you the best of both options, the ruggedness of the A5 with the high-performance internals of the mini.

As for a Hopper, if youre willing to put down the extra money, the DYE Rotor will never fail you. Look on youtube for a video where this guy burns, submerges, and drops the rotor, and it works. It works underwater. its unstoppable. At 50+ bps you'll never have to worry about the hopper not being able to keep up with your gun.

Best upgrade would be a barrel kit. Being able to match your barrel to your paint will give you the greatest improvement in accuracy and efficiency. The TechT kit allows you to use all of the barrels you already have, and only adds less about 2 inches to the length. Again, its a little more expensive but if youre looking for that edge the money is worth it.
2 Samuel 22
0

#14 User is offline   ger 

  • Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,676
  • Joined: 31-August 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western PA

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:08 AM

View PostBenaiah, on 30 September 2010 - 09:03 AM, said:

One advantage the A5 has over the Mini is that it is much more rugged and durable, and it has many more upgrades for it that are dedicated to woodsball. The mini is mainly a speedball gun, but you can use it in the woods. It would be much more susceptible to dirt and water damage, however. A woodsball dedicated gun would be much more durable, and accept more mods like stocks sights.

The A-5 is much more rugged? Ehh. I never use my A-5 to cut down trees or dig holes when I'm in the woods so I think most electros would qualify as being just as rugged for what a marker has to endure during play. The whole "an electro can't get wet/dirty" debate has certainly passed, plenty are used in the rain & run through any sand/dirt the outdoors has to offer. I play scenario/woodsball exclusively (10-12 events a year) & there are more electros out there than Tippy's at the field I frequent. I know an A-5 can fire underwater, I've seen the video... but it's pretty obvious submerged paint wouldn't be worth shooting anyway so it's a moot point.

Also, putting a Mini in a TM shell doesn't automatically make it more durable or "woodsball" - the operation of the marker is still the same. A basic Mini is just as reliable in the woods as it's two reincarnations. The TM's are not more rugged because they have a stock & picitanny rails. You've just roughly doubled (TM7) or quadrupled (TM15) the physical size of the marker so if anything now there is more to break. Though they certainly do look cooler, lol. Maybe the OP prefers the "look", if that's the case then buying into one of the TM's would be a good combo. That's personal preference though.

My point is, don't buy into the myth that Tippmanns are indestructible so they are automatically better for woodsball than an electro. It's just simply not the case.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.
1

#15 User is offline   B18DelSolT 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 22-September 08

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:06 AM

View Postger, on 30 September 2010 - 08:08 AM, said:

View PostBenaiah, on 30 September 2010 - 09:03 AM, said:

One advantage the A5 has over the Mini is that it is much more rugged and durable, and it has many more upgrades for it that are dedicated to woodsball. The mini is mainly a speedball gun, but you can use it in the woods. It would be much more susceptible to dirt and water damage, however. A woodsball dedicated gun would be much more durable, and accept more mods like stocks sights.

The A-5 is much more rugged? Ehh. I never use my A-5 to cut down trees or dig holes when I'm in the woods so I think most electros would qualify as being just as rugged for what a marker has to endure during play. The whole "an electro can't get wet/dirty" debate has certainly passed, plenty are used in the rain & run through any sand/dirt the outdoors has to offer. I play scenario/woodsball exclusively (10-12 events a year) & there are more electros out there than Tippy's at the field I frequent. I know an A-5 can fire underwater, I've seen the video... but it's pretty obvious submerged paint wouldn't be worth shooting anyway so it's a moot point.

Also, putting a Mini in a TM shell doesn't automatically make it more durable or "woodsball" - the operation of the marker is still the same. A basic Mini is just as reliable in the woods as it's two reincarnations. The TM's are not more rugged because they have a stock & picitanny rails. You've just roughly doubled (TM7) or quadrupled (TM15) the physical size of the marker so if anything now there is more to break. Though they certainly do look cooler, lol. Maybe the OP prefers the "look", if that's the case then buying into one of the TM's would be a good combo. That's personal preference though.

My point is, don't buy into the myth that Tippmanns are indestructible so they are automatically better for woodsball than an electro. It's just simply not the case.


I just want a reliable gun. like ive read such good reviews on invert mini especially for the price range. I think i would actually like the feel more than the look. When i used to play with my spyder i love the fact of how light and small it was, now the mini is just that and a whole lot more. Thanks for all the different views. Ima look into that hopper, id rather buy once and know i have something that will last lol especially fires? lol im sold
0

Share this topic:


  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users