Special Ops Paintball: The Ethics and Applications of Double Pumping - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Ethics and Applications of Double Pumping 1 Trigger pull, 2 balls Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Mike68 

• "Have a sense of preservation!"
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:08 PM

This thread is about discussing the ethics, and practical applications of double and triple pumping.

With a Phantom, and I'm sure nearly every other pump gun, it is possible to fire multiple shots by racking the pump multiple times and then firing. It is easier with a direct feed, as you don't need to rock the marker. This can also occur on accident, if you pump your marker too slowly.

Two shots are generally the most accurate, while three shots lose accuracy and range, and four shots will most likely explode in your barrel. Usually, two paintballs will impact on your target within a foot of each other, sometimes within inches of each other, and sometimes not.

I have found a few good uses for a double shot. When bunkering it helps to give a "shotgun" effect, and when creating a diversion it can help to put off the illusion of more players to your enemies. Plus, it's fun to do in front of people who don't know that pumps can do this.

However, I've often thought of the implied ethical implications, doubleshots tend to be a grey area in the rules. Specifically, the rule that states "one trigger pull, one ball." However, no ref has ever called me on it, nor has any player ever complained. I don't employ this method with any regularity, and I suppose I would stop if told it was against the rules. However, I know that many fields, as well as tourneys, do not allow markers like the Nasty Typhoon because it fires two balls on one trigger pull. I suppose doubleshotting is really the same thing.

What do you guys think?
"My greatest fear is that when I die, no one will remember me."

-Some dead guy

#2 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

Well tecnically yes, one trigger pull and two balls fired. thus not allowed.

Although if a field allows typhoons and people are rocking markers which can walk a trigger, chances are your going to be hit twice by most players anyways so whats the difference between the timing of those two shots.

#3 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

I've heard a double pump (in rare cases) can be useful in picking off someone through light bush - the first shot hits the leaves just ahead of the second ball, possibly clearing a path...

Though it'd have to be from closer range, through really large leaves, or an extremely lucky shot to pull off.

Though it could work more feasibly through grass.

#4 User is online   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

I have never found double pumping to be even remotely usefull. It always seems to cut accuracy & range down dramaticly...
...its an accident, not a tactic.

#5 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:17 PM

The one time I've used double pumping is snapping with another pumper. we were snapping for a while and I started getting bored, so I was hoping that by double pumping I'd have a great chance of hitting him lol.
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#6 User is offline   Mike68 

• "Have a sense of preservation!"
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

View PostThe Stuntman, on 06 August 2010 - 02:08 PM, said:

I have never found double pumping to be even remotely usefull. It always seems to cut accuracy & range down dramaticly...
...its an accident, not a tactic.

Sure, the distance between two shots usually becomes way too large to be useful past 60 feet.
"My greatest fear is that when I die, no one will remember me."

-Some dead guy

#7 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:26 PM

I do it often usually when i load up right before i start the game on the field, and i might forget if i did or not, so i just pump again. Rarely get breaks from it. usually just go, Oh didn't realized i pumped before. It can help on bunkering runs for sure. One of them should break. But outside of that it just doesn't work out too well. My SnN has no ball detents, There are times i triple feed one barrel and single feed the other...causing a blunderbuss effect. The triple feed shots go all over and not too far, whereas the single fed one goes normal distance.
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#8 User is offline   Chaos Fiend 

• :)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:|GEARHEAD|

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:54 AM

I used to double all the time from the same way as Leg, but then I started to discharge my marker when I get out. Besides that, I just use it for horsing around when we're just wasting time before games or in the backyard. Like stuntman said, I've always found it to never work in my favor. It's more effective for me to just shoot one ball at a time.

And if you're worried about missing a shot on a bunker run, just pump quicker. I always have enough time to get at least two shots off.
"I dont like brass so I guess I am good to go." -Jiu jitsu fighter. "Communist." -Tu Padre
Pump Player #113 My Feedback +27/-0

#9 User is offline   Spitfire151 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:36 AM

I'm with Eskimo on this, essentially if you're worried about shooting someone twice, semis usually have the same issue. An honest mistake is an honest mistake.
SpecOps Feedback
SpecOps Products owned: Scout Vest; Two Custom Vests; Collapsable Pod Loader; Allied and Axis Bandanas; Remote Line and Hopper covers.
Reviews: Spec Ops Custom Vest
Mods: Minor Mask Mod

#10 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

View PostChaos Fiend, on 07 August 2010 - 09:54 AM, said:

I used to double all the time from the same way as Leg, but then I started to discharge my marker when I get out.

as a safety for me i always discharge as soon as i call out, i fire out my ball to deaden my marker. See no point going to staging witha live marker. Also, three of my five pumps don't have safetys so this is a neccesary action.
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#11 User is offline   Chaos Fiend 

• :)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:|GEARHEAD|

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:58 PM

View PostLegato, on 08 August 2010 - 12:01 AM, said:

View PostChaos Fiend, on 07 August 2010 - 09:54 AM, said:

I used to double all the time from the same way as Leg, but then I started to discharge my marker when I get out.

as a safety for me i always discharge as soon as i call out, i fire out my ball to deaden my marker. See no point going to staging witha live marker. Also, three of my five pumps don't have safetys so this is a neccesary action.

Yup, same here. I don't think I've owned a pump besides my sl68 and traccer that has had a safety.
"I dont like brass so I guess I am good to go." -Jiu jitsu fighter. "Communist." -Tu Padre
Pump Player #113 My Feedback +27/-0

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users