• You cannot reply to this topic

"Snipers" read it if u have an opion on snipers Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   Fontain 

• I am every where and no where
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Fontain

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:14 AM

Does any one else think that snipers r overated in paintball, the same with the sniper position as well.

#2 User is offline   CamoDeafie 

• LVL 0 Human class flanker-
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:33 AM

yup. i dont get it. my friends call me the sniper just because i had an Olive drab green marker with stock and camo uniform, sure i have a ghillie tunic but i dont use it anymore because its too warm. i dont take OSOK stuff, i do suppressive fire.
Team Black Sheep, Oregon Division
ex-gunwhore
"All at is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."-N.S.K./Laibach
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable " - /-wear me!?

#3 User is offline   TREE FITTY 

• Time to get to business...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TIPPMANN6791

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:48 AM

snipers are snipers. You love them on your team, you curse them on the other. It's just like tanks. You can never really decide if you like themn 100% or not, simply because if you get hit, you hate them, if your sniper covers your back, you love em.

My personal opinion, though, is that since there is no ballistic advantage, just open your eyes, try to spot them. They're fair in paintball, because anybody can throw on ghillie, stay still and quiet, and pop a potshot off.

Snipers=Fair, but gets one mad when hit by them.

did I die for a second there?...

#4 User is offline   Haunted Hunter 

• Vanguard
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Haunted Hunter

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:56 PM

I wouldn't say overrated. If no one walks up on their ambush, they can do nothing to help the team. If someone walks up on their hidden location, then they help the team.
Don't look at the "sniper", look at the style of play. Anyone who lies hidden waiting for someone has a definite advantage over someone running around looking for them. The hidden guy should get the first few shots in, giving them a great advantage. However, if no one comes near them, the guy is wasted.

#5 Guest_Apocolyptic_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:46 PM

So, so. I can't really say until I actually play the position. So, yah.

#6 User is offline   euglow54 

• Bring it...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:euglow54

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:08 PM

I don't think they are overrated. If a sniper is overrated, then so is a Hammer, and the same with a Sabre. Each is merely a unique style of perferred play, that's all.
IPB Image
Kill by Necessity, Capture by Design
"Well, euglow54 might be the exact reason to keep the full head gear... " -Armory

#7 User is offline   JKLNHYD 

• OG Newb...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:39 PM

First of all, I think it is pretty lame that a newbie is trying to start a flame fest, again, in the Sniper forum. But anyway.

I am not a sniper but I respect the position.
People who say crap about this position have never gone up against one. They have the patience of a sloth, agility of a cheetah, and the camo ability of a gecko. Someone in this position will wait and move very deliberately. They look for cover that will conceal them visually, not just to block balls. Their goal is to get as many hits as possible with the fewest amount of balls. As much as a Hammer brags about dumping 4000 balls on 2 guys in a bunker, the sniper would be embarassed if he dropped 20 on 2 guys.
I had a forum member pm me after Stalingrad last year and tell me he had 250 kills and only took 500 balls. That is overrated? Please!?
My senior member list, Pm me if you think you should be on it. PUZUMA Tyler MurderDeathKill Animal Mother BlackOpsghost Evil Finger Uwannago Weapso Tyger Dr. Wiggy The Stuntman Cops911 Riddick Twistedpsyche Custom Cowboy CamoDeafie Redleg64 ClumsyNinja DigitalPirate Slinkyaroo The Dirty Samurai Neo Enhander AirHOg shadow 772 LONGBOW deltapaintball Styro shadowlord Gunslinger7 Enders War Prodigy evillepaintball Deus Wolf Rifleman ghost93 luke-inator
My New Homie List. PM me
agentM192 nos4atu florentine PhantomAssassin thebostinian T-Freak Ka1iBuR StealingYerMail Not You
My Profile Friend's List, who wants on?
"Calm you down? Done. Enjoy your vacation."- PuzumaClick the link

#8 User is offline   mental assasin 

• MENTAL ASSASSIN
  • Pip

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:15 AM

im new and you might call me a noob but ive been reading alot of the post's on this forum and its seems that there are two different kinds of player...1) those who play for fun..2)those who consider paintball a lifestyle and could not live without it. and it always seems that the ones that question a position such as sniper are the ones who play for fun and dont understand the time..money...and patience that it takes to play this position (sniper) on the field. and the post saying that a sniper would be imbaresed if they took more then 3+ shots to eliminate a player is totaly true. cause they spends hours and hours to perfect thier game. in my opinion, before you can talk "smack" about a position you must FIRST play that position so you can understand what goes into it. just my two cents.

#9 User is offline   Phobeus 

• You can't kill what you can't see...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Bushman

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:41 AM

snipers are not overrated, like tree fitty said snipers are either your friends or your worst nightmares. The name sniper is what we know we are at heart, no matter how far we shoot. We live for those ambushes(whether we wait a full game or sneak up on them ourselves), some of us don't just sit in one place all the time either. The whole ambush thing shouldn't be used in games longer than an hour and if enemies don't show up, move forward and get closer to their base. We just try to use our stealth to create confusion. If we hit someone on the left side of a course the guy tagged will say there are snipers there (or players in ghillie suits) then the opposition might not be so couragous when sending people to that side. I try to create trouble for the opposition where ever I go. Nothing, and I mean nothing, can demoralize an enemy group faster than an enemy which cannot be seen. Read the text under my avatar and you'll see what I mean. These are just my opinions take'em or leave'em, but maybe you should read about the position first, here are a few links so you can better educate yourself.

http://www.specialop...sitions/asn.asp
http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...showtopic=43944
http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...showtopic=37825

ohh also don't start flames about a position if you don't understand it...in fact! DON'T FLAME!

edit: spelling

This post has been edited by Phobeus: 16 February 2007 - 08:43 AM

#10 User is offline   SOLIDUS SNAKE 

• dislikes his own avvy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CORPORATE ASSASIN

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:48 AM

:ghillie: i agree ( i am not a sniper i am a commander ) nothing i hate more than to hear we r recieving sniper fire and i have to remind them its only one guy (hopefully).

It is very frustrating to have ur attack slowed down which the sniper does best.

Man Fears what he does not see/understand :ghillie:

This post has been edited by SOLIDUS SNAKE: 16 February 2007 - 08:49 AM

RAP 4, We Make All Those Terrible Products Nobody Asked For - C-3
My feedback

#11 User is offline   Dermeister 

• The_Masterer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dermeister

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:09 AM

lol, this topic is trite and useless. but ill add my input anyway.

there are no such things as "Snipers" in paintball. There are "Paintball Snipers" in paintball. theres a huge difference. Snipers use long range elim tactics. Paintball Snipers use concealment and hidden ambush tactics to elim. It seems like an eronious point, but theres a huge difference. Solidus Snake said it right, one guy can HALT an attack, and if thats useless, than so is the 10 guys that can halt an attack...

This Is Where We FIGHT!
S.O.F.A Special Ops Forums are Awesome #2 & CEO

#12 User is offline   Reb 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:No brigade affiliation

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:20 AM

Ghostinthewood is gonna kill me over this one, but my 2 cents are as valuable as anyone's I suppose.

Is the position overrated? Absolutely.

As someone mentioned, there are no ballistic advantages that a paintball 'sniper' has over any other player in the field, with that being said, what exactly separates them from everyone else? From where I stand....not much if anything but a mentality fostered by movies and retail companies.

There are so many people out there that have watched "Enemy at the Gates" and the history channel special on Snipers too many times and are enthralled with the idea of being the ultimate weapon, regardless of how impractical it is in the paintball world.

In the 10 years that I've been playing I've never seen the 'sniper' role pulled off effectively. Most of the time, the kids who are engrossed with the idea, leave their team shorthanded and understrengthed, and are often eliminated because their ghillies are mismatched with their environment, or they're overrun by faster players. Sometimes, they manage to be the last ones left on their team, a factor which they attribute to their stealth, but from what I've seen, its usually because the game has moved outside of their crawl range, and now the other team has to go find them.

Ghillie suits, which they believe are essential, make them slow, and easy to spot when they're moving around, and with the effective range of the paintball marker, when a player closes in on their position enough that they can get a shot off, they are as easy to spot as a player wearing regular woodland camo.

The 'sniper ethos' that they live by, stealth, recon, ambush.....etc....are all things that EVERY player has to do in order to be good at the game.

I've been told by snipers that what sets them apart from everyone else is the way that they take 'stealth' more seriously than other players.

Do they actually EXIST in paintball? Maybe, but as far as I'm concerned, until I see one played successfully, I'm going to classify the probability of their existance in the same bag as the loch ness monster.

What I have a problem with, is not what they decide to call themselves, but is the manner in which they defend their beliefs. As soon as someone calls into question their 'existance' they become angry and "You're just jealous" and "You're just a wannabe" and "Not everyone is cut out to be a sniper." I've actually read in the sniper HQ that "If people doubt our existance, then we're doing our jobs." How do these arguments counter such things as ballistic information which negates long shots, excessive camo, and concealment points?

And, I've noticed, especially around here, as soon as you start to debate, you're shut down, almost as if you aren't allowed to disagree with the positions that have been created by television and propagated by Special Ops and other paintball retailers who are seeking to make a buck by selling ghillie suits and useless sights to paintball players.

In fact, I can almost bet that this thread will be shut down ASAP because we're beating the dead horse, no matter how logical and civil a debate we may be having.

Its been nice knowing you, I'll probably be knocked down for being an agitator.
I have never been shot by a player in a ghillie suit.

#13 User is offline   Guy In Digi Camo 

• The Forum Authority On Alaska- pm me if you have any ?'s
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Guy In Digi Camo

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:52 AM

I can agree with several points made in this topic
1. Snipers dont exist in paintball "Paintball Snipers" do
2. That the positions in specops is a marketing ploy that has been very succesful.
3. That sniper dosent have any ballistic advantage than the next player, besides usually having a more accurate guns.

However i disagree on a couple facts that have been posted here and in a previous topic

Ghille suits do provide a great advantage over the normal camo fatigues at the cost of somne movement.
However the Action Ghille solves this problem so u are essentially jsut as free moving as if uy were wearing regular fatigues.

paintball snipers can be either the best player on your team or the worst.

only noobs make the mistake of having mismatched ghille suits that dont wrk in their enviroment.

Really the posittion was around before specops came in anyway so it should be a recognized position in the field of paintball.

Yes paint ball snipers can get over run but that would mean they did something wrong. Either thier too trigger happy or they did not wait for the right time.

However the major difference between snipers adn the other thoeretical positions is that all the other ones are basically about instinct shooting, while paitnball snipers have tuned sights THAT THEY USE ON A REGULAR BASIS. this allows them to take a few well aimed shots instead of 50-1000 random shots in the direction of the target.

Im really only defending the paintball sniper name becasue it was around since the beginning of the game.

Always love a good argument- Guy In Digi Camo
Going to be in Alaska check out my up to date post where you can get your questions answeredAlaska

#14 User is offline   Reb 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:No brigade affiliation

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:06 PM

View PostGuy In Digi Camo, on Feb 16 2007, 11:52 AM, said:

I can agree with several points made in this topic
1. Snipers dont exist in paintball "Paintball Snipers" do
The difference is what? relying on the element of surprise when setting up a shot to compensate for the lack of effective range? Where does this separate them from me?
2. That the positions in specops is a marketing ploy that has been very succesful.
AMEN to that!
3. That sniper dosent have any ballistic advantage than the next player, besides usually having a more accurate guns.
I use a 98, sniper uses a 98, now wheres the more accurate marker? Its tough to prove that one marker is more accurate than another.

However i disagree on a couple facts that have been posted here and in a previous topic

Oh good. :ninja:

Ghille suits do provide a great advantage over the normal camo fatigues at the cost of somne movement.
However the Action Ghille solves this problem so u are essentially jsut as free moving as if uy were wearing regular fatigues.

Perhaps, but again, at effective range, I'm able to pick out a ghillied player just as easy as I can a player in woodland camo. (I'm still new at picking up the digi stuff though) Players should try to rely on their environment for cover as opposed to their clothes, it eliminates having to worry about mismatched clothing.

paintball snipers can be either the best player on your team or the worst.

This can be said for anyone though. Your 'commander' could be the worst player on your team, or lead you to a stunning victory.

only noobs make the mistake of having mismatched ghille suits that dont wrk in their enviroment.

Not true. seasoned 'veterans' of sniping have often overestimated their ability to remain invisible thanks to their clothing. I've seen it. Everyone screws up now and then.
Really the posittion was around before specops came in anyway so it should be a recognized position in the field of paintball.

Yes paint ball snipers can get over run but that would mean they did something wrong. Either thier too trigger happy or they did not wait for the right time.

In either case, they violate everything that as a 'sniper' they stand for.

However the major difference between snipers adn the other thoeretical positions is that all the other ones are basically about instinct shooting, while paitnball snipers have tuned sights THAT THEY USE ON A REGULAR BASIS. this allows them to take a few well aimed shots instead of 50-1000 random shots in the direction of the target.

I'm obliged to argue this point extensively. Shooting should be as 'instinct' to a 'sniper' as it is for everyone else. They shouldn't have to count on scopes or sights to do their jobs for them, indeed, at the range where they are effective, there isn't a need for a scope at all, all of their shots should be based on 'instinct' gleaned from the knowledge of their marker's ability to perform over a given distance. This is no different than what I do. Or what any player who is familiar with their equipment does.

Im really only defending the paintball sniper name becasue it was around since the beginning of the game.

Understandable, but where did it come from if not people's desire to be feared, hated, and respected on the field, which has been fostered by television, movies, and recruiting posters?

Always love a good argument- Guy In Digi Camo
Oh me too.

Indeed, if I remember correctly, we had a good go around over in the "Is being a sniper funny" thread before ghost got mad at me. :D
I have never been shot by a player in a ghillie suit.

#15 User is offline   Fontain 

• I am every where and no where
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Fontain

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:45 PM

The idea of a "Paintball Sniper" is in reality is a guy in a suit that hides in the bushes and shoots unsupsecting newbs.And yes some times they will get some people out but most of the time they r sitting in the bushes for a while doing nothing.
The only snipers i see in paintball r guys that think they win the game for there team when they rarely get any kills unless there r a crap load of people playing like in a senerio game, or big game.
So thumbs up for takin out newbs that dont see u hiding in the bushes.

Share this topic:

• (20 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users