• You cannot reply to this topic

legality issues calling all lawyer or insurance firm ballers Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   dagger boy 98c 

• Expect the unexpected
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:dagger boy 98c

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:07 PM

OK so i have been planning on making a few more of my carbines for a few interested people. The problem arrises when my parents are worried about the legality issues of my "modifying" these markers. Are there any lawyeres out there who can tell me what i have to do to be safe, or work around this problem? I dont want to go to court someday because some bum got shot in the eye with a marker i modded(far fetched story, but the parrents seem to think its a problem)
i would like any help i can to approach the situation safely. thanks

Nick

#2 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:23 PM

As long as you do not modify any pressurized portions of the marker, you should be fine, because that would legally be the manufacturer's area.

But I'm not a lawyer, or an emotional jury member.

-Tenacious

#3 User is offline   Grendelsbane 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:17 PM

What exactly are you doing when you modify it?

You should really talk to an attorney in the jurisdiction that you live in...what works and is true in one state may be totally wrong in another.

#4 User is offline   methusaleh 

• Living the life
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:41 PM

I second that. Some cities, possibly even some states, now classify any air-powered devices that propel projectiles, as firearms. In which case you would need to be a bona fide gunsmith to do the mods.

#5 User is offline   C9H13NO3 

• Miramar Mafia
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:C9H13NO3

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:18 AM

PPS modifies pressurized parts. I'd just throw in a disclaimer with every marker saying it's not a toy, never point at people, animals, etc, and always wear approved safety gear while operating it. I've actually seen the "Do not point or fire at people or animals" on the disclaimer with a paintball gun...kind of hard to play paintball without shooting or pointing it at someone, but it does clear the mfg of any liability.

#6 User is offline   dagger boy 98c 

• Expect the unexpected
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:51 AM

ok thanks for the feedback. I was planning on talking to a local gun smith to see what regulations this state has. Also as for what i do, the really only internal part i change is two new drilled holes, and i relocate the trigger. Nothing preasuerized.

This post has been edited by dagger boy 98c: 03 September 2008 - 04:52 AM

#7 User is offline   Sneaky Sir 

• Studyin' my pump-fu
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sneaky Sir

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:08 PM

What state you live in?
And a disclaimer is a great idea to include in the box

#8 User is offline   dagger boy 98c 

• Expect the unexpected
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:28 AM

Indiana. I checked .ocal laws pertaining to firearms, and paintball markers dont fit the category.

#9 User is offline   motoguy1251 

• Mustache Afficianado
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:motoguy1251

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:05 AM

Waiver form type idea. It would be a written contract.
1Ill be on you like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snow storm!!
2Games: Americas Army, Battlefield 2,2142,1942,vietnam,Fear, CSS,Red Orchestra,DOD, Oblivion,GaryMod,more

#10 User is offline   The Shepherd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Shepherd

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:54 AM

Well, can I see a picture of the said carbine?

#11 User is offline   dagger boy 98c 

• Expect the unexpected
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:35 AM

The marker basically involves what is pictured below. moved trigger and trimmed body. It has no internal mods of any sort. This disclaimer you are talking about, wouldnt it have to be written up and drafted by an attorney or lawyer? If it was as simple as typing up a paper, i would have done it already. Or is it this easy?

Attached File(s)

#12 User is offline   STAZ211 

• Do it........i dare you
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:STAZ211

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:05 PM

dont get caught........ :P
"Let he who desires peace prepare for war..."

"Home of the free, because of the brave..."

#13 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:39 PM

http://injury-law.fr...r_liability.htm[/url] ']How effective is a ‘waiver of liability’?
Many people try to protect themselves by getting everyone they deal with to sign a writing in which others "waive liability" (give up or release) for potential personal injuries. These waivers or releases have become quite common, especially with respect to recreational activities - for example at ski slopes, bicycle and skate rental shops, bungee jump parks, and amusement parks (just to name a few).

Some sports have been found by courts to be inherently dangerous, such as bungee jumping or skydiving. If a state court has determined that a sport is inherently dangerous, the participants in the sport are said to have voluntarily waived their right to recover in the event of personal injury. This is because the sport is generally known to cause injuries and a person participating in an inherently dangerous sport should know the dangers and by participating has "assumed the risk" of injury.

Assumption of risk has been held to prevent the owner of a baseball park or a golf course from being held responsible to an injured party who was hit by a stray ball. This often holds true even without a specific waiver of liability. By going to a ballpark or a golf course courts have generally held that a person has assumed the risk of being hit by a ball at ballparks and golf courses.

Read also: http://www.scribd.co...-Waiver-Article

I don't believe a waiver would save you from legal action even if it's written by a lawyer. While using a paintball marker does have an assumed risk but injury caused by negligence most likely isn't covered.

For example as a paintball field owner if someone trips on a root and breaks a leg you'd be covered. If, however, you have a 30 cliff on the field that isn't fenced off or have warning signs for it and some one falls off, that's negligence. You failed to take proper precautions to ensure safety.

You definately need to talk to a lawyer. There may be laws that can protect you if you make a limited number or may hinder you because you aren't a company.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#14 User is offline   dagger boy 98c 

• Expect the unexpected
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:34 PM

thanks again for all the help. I plan to discuss this with a lawyer before any major action is taken. I have a few people wanting just the stocks, and do the build off them selves. I plan to do this due to the owners own assembly of the actual mech parts.

#15 User is offline   ProX 

• My primary hobby...
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

I can't really add to what's been mentioned already, but it would be a good idea to use some acorn nuts to cover up the ends of the screws (seen in the right side pic). Those exposed ends could cut someone.... Another alternative is to use male/female screws (not sure of the actual name) One half is as a normal screw would be, the other half is female threaded with a regular screw head.
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other.

"Never play AGAINST your wife on her first day paintballing. Wife gets beat = no more nookie"
Mark that quote down... very important.

When I did tech support for Dell a call came in about a laptop that wasn't working right. The guy insisted that the bullet holes in had nothing to do with the boot issues... -Puzuma

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users