• You cannot reply to this topic

Air compresser filling HPA? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MR. SNYP 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

Hello guys,
I am wondering, would it be possible to fill an HPA tank with a household air compresser? I was wondering this because if there is some attachment to hook up to an air compresser, I could have free compressed air!! I dought that you can do this but I'm just asking to see if it is possible.

Thanks,
MR. SNYP

#2 User is offline   Epic win 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Yardsalesniper312

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:21 PM

No oil and dirt could get in the fill nipple causing a catastrophic failure (the tank vents both burst disks)

Epic win

#3 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:29 PM

what kind of household air compressor are you talking about?

It probably does not get to anywhere near of a high enough PSI. You can fill from a scuba tank at 3000psi. You generally need to fill to at least 2500psi to make it worth-while.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#4 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:45 AM

View PostMR. SNYP, on Oct 18 2008, 11:18 PM, said:

Hello guys,
I am wondering, would it be possible to fill an HPA tank with a household air compresser? I was wondering this because if there is some attachment to hook up to an air compresser, I could have free compressed air!! I dought that you can do this but I'm just asking to see if it is possible.

Thanks,
MR. SNYP

No, household compressors hover around 200psi max pressure, construction grade ~300psi. HPA requires 3000psi +, and those compressors cost a pretty penny.

#5 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:12 AM

View PostMR. SNYP, on Oct 19 2008, 04:18 AM, said:

Hello guys,

Thanks,
MR. SNYP

Physicaly possible with an attachment but no good for paintball you need 3000psi to fill or 800psi to reach the bottles regulator output.

A domestic or commercial tool compressor will not reach that level of pressure

#6 User is offline   MR. SNYP 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

Wow, I had no clue the pressure had to be that high to fill it! Okay, well thanks guys!

MR. SNYP

#7 User is offline   slowerpig81 

• This man is a Beast with that Phantom. -thisissparta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:slowerpig81

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:10 PM

Well, It doesn't HAVE to be that high, but it will fill it to the comp's max output, said above as usually being about 200 PSI. Hey, I've heard that some highend electro-pnuematics operate at less than 100 PSI, but I don't know how that is implemented, or if it would work.

#8 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:18 PM

If you run an AirStar Nova, then by all means go for it! :P

other than that, you'd need a scuba-grade compressor (heavy filtration, ~3000 PSI) and as Maj Tom said, those are a little pricey.
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

#9 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:49 AM

View Postslowerpig81, on Oct 22 2008, 12:10 AM, said:

Well, It doesn't HAVE to be that high, but it will fill it to the comp's max output, said above as usually being about 200 PSI. Hey, I've heard that some highend electro-pnuematics operate at less than 100 PSI, but I don't know how that is implemented, or if it would work.

Tank pressure is normaly a max of 3000 or 4500psi.

A normal output pressure from the tank regulator is 800 / 850 psi, a low pressure regulator is about 450psi.

Many electronic markers operate at a low pressure like 100psi. If there are small internal hoses you can generaly expect it is low pressure but this is controled by the markers own regulator. The marker may still be designed for high pressure input, e.g. the Ion is a low pressure marker but is designed for a normal 800/850 bottle regulator. You could use a low pressure bottle and it could work perfectly. It might be slow at refreshing the regulator if you have a high rate of fire.

If a bottle was filled at 200psi and the regulator refreshed quickly enough for the rate of fire you could in theory do so, but the bottle would soon go down in pressure. This would only give limited shots for checking something.

If you are serious about fills away form site compressors then look into dive tanks, or you can use a stirrup pump - http://www.uttings.com/?categories/Shootin...upPumps/Webley/ however I have no idea how much you have to pump one to fill a bottle.

A very important thing will be the risk of contamination if such compressors were used as there is not the same level of filtering plus dangers of oil contamination. Not much of a problem at low pressures, but when the bottle is later filled at high pressure there is the risk of something like these:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bottle explosion

http://www.p8ntballer-forums.com/vb/showth...eakz&page=3

#10 User is offline   Slivers 

• The charred ghost of Slivers
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Slivers

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:06 PM

Oil is an issue, dirt shouldn't be a problem. Your fill nipple has a filter screen on it. Like they said above, you're ridiculously well equipped if your household compressor goes above 200psi. Probably won't get a hopperfull out of that.
Posted Image
Flying straight above the steady stream of stars.

#11 User is offline   MR. SNYP 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:14 AM

Thanks guys, but after seeing those pics...I think I will just have my local paintball store and field fill my tank for me!! And like everyone else said, my compresser only gets up to 125psi.

MR. SNYP

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users