Special Ops Paintball: tippman x7 or a-5? - Special Ops Paintball

Jump to content


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

tippman x7 or a-5? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ricky mroz 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: 28-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Brigade Name:ricky

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:47 PM

ok i was wondering whether to buy the x7 or if i should by the a-5 dont have any experience with either but i have had a 98 before
plz help!!!
0

#2 User is offline   Zz Loth zZ 

  • Wellst Obviously We Have a Rapist
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 166
  • Joined: 17-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:GA, USA
  • Brigade Name:ZZLOTHZZ

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:11 AM

View Postricky mroz, on 03 September 2010 - 02:47 AM, said:

ok i was wondering whether to buy the x7 or if i should by the a-5 dont have any experience with either but i have had a 98 before
plz help!!!


I don't know from personal experience, but the general consensus seems to be that the x7 is practically an a-5 in a fancy shell. So basically same internals, but marked up in price because of the newer shell.
0

#3 User is offline   ger 

  • Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,676
  • Joined: 31-August 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western PA

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:34 AM

The A-5 & X7 are basically identical & both are essentially updated 98's. Like Loth wrote: the X7 is just a dressed up A-5, literally no real advantage in buying it over the A-5. The only reason would be personal preference w/ the look.

Of course if you are looking for a new marker, there are certainly better options than the A-5/X7.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.
0

#4 User is offline   5N1P3R 

  • Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,832
  • Joined: 24-August 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:35 AM

If you are stuck on buying a tippmann, I would suggest trying the x7 phenom out.
0

#5 User is offline   Zugzwang 

  • Your Move!
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: 14-September 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Twin Cities, Minnesota
  • Brigade Name:Zugzwang

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:37 AM

View Post5N1P3R, on 03 September 2010 - 09:35 AM, said:

If you are stuck on buying a tippmann, I would suggest trying the x7 phenom out.


I totally agree here...If you want a Tipmann get the Phenom.
Pelican Brigade Paint Ball Club
0

#6 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

  • Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,502
  • Joined: 10-December 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:23 AM

If the main thing you want from the A5/X7 is the cyclone feed just get the cyclone feed kit for the 98C. If you are after an e-grip with a selector switch look into the Phenom. It operates as both a mechanical and an electronic trigger. Semi auto is mechanical and the rest of the modes are obviously electronic. The good thing about the Phenom is if you run out of batteries on the playing field you don't have to call yourself out.
0

#7 User is offline   IIIce 

  • Stay.Frosty.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 155
  • Joined: 22-March 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio
  • Brigade Name:IIIce

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:28 PM

There seems to be general disdain for Tippmans as anything more than an entry level marker. But they are great guns, easy to maintain, and they last forever. Part of the fun of owning a Tippmann is how customizable they are. You can build a really bad ass Tippmann out of good part and ingenuity, that is an excellent mil sim woodsball and speedball marker. They can compete on a level with any of the high end tourney guns, so I don't understand that attitude. =/
0

#8 User is offline   5N1P3R 

  • Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,832
  • Joined: 24-August 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

View PostDomi-Nate, on 03 September 2010 - 10:28 PM, said:

There seems to be general disdain for Tippmans as anything more than an entry level marker. But they are great guns, easy to maintain, and they last forever. Part of the fun of owning a Tippmann is how customizable they are. You can build a really bad ass Tippmann out of good part and ingenuity, that is an excellent mil sim woodsball and speedball marker. They can compete on a level with any of the high end tourney guns, so I don't understand that attitude. =/


Money pit. :facepalm:

Um. No, not at all. Please explain that to me...
0

#9 User is offline   IIIce 

  • Stay.Frosty.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 155
  • Joined: 22-March 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio
  • Brigade Name:IIIce

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:58 PM

Money pit. :facepalm:
It's a money pit if you cant afford it, but so is paintball in general, so I fail to see the relevance of that comment. Any hobby, especially when taken seriously, requires a bit of dough. I will refrain from making a silly forum face to be sarcastic or illustrate the point.

As for this...
Um. No, not at all. Please explain that to me...


Welll.. Let's think about it. A Tippmann 98C for crying out loud with an e-grip, double trigger, DYE rotor hopper, will perform just fine. Without the DYE hopper, the e-grip alone will push the gun to 15bps which is more than enough to do good. I may have been overzealous if I said "out perform", lol, but I didn't I said compete with. With the addition of the rotor hopper and or cyclone system it will shoot faster, or the addition of a response trigger. Ok, so some guy can shoot 20bps, and miss me how many times?
0

#10 User is offline   IIIce 

  • Stay.Frosty.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 155
  • Joined: 22-March 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio
  • Brigade Name:IIIce

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:10 PM

Not to mention amigo. You have to take into consideration what type of games we are talking about. There are better speedball markers of course, I'm not denying that. But what I AM saying is that it can't be discounted as some entry level marker for newbs. Go on with your bad self and an X7, the phenom is a great choice. A speedball marker would not do well necessarily in a mil sim woodsball game, because for one it will stick out like a sore thumb. Secondly 20+bps getting ripped up by shrubery?(please refrain from Knights of NIII comments.)
0

#11 User is offline   IIIce 

  • Stay.Frosty.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 155
  • Joined: 22-March 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio
  • Brigade Name:IIIce

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:13 PM

I am curious Ricky, are you looking to play more speedball oriented games or are you into the mil sim, and scenario stuff?
0

#12 User is offline   5N1P3R 

  • Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,832
  • Joined: 24-August 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

View PostDomi-Nate, on 04 September 2010 - 05:58 PM, said:

Welll.. Let's think about it. A Tippmann 98C for crying out loud with an e-grip, double trigger, DYE rotor hopper, will perform just fine. Without the DYE hopper, the e-grip alone will push the gun to 15bps which is more than enough to do good. I may have been overzealous if I said "out perform", lol, but I didn't I said compete with. With the addition of the rotor hopper and or cyclone system it will shoot faster, or the addition of a response trigger. Ok, so some guy can shoot 20bps, and miss me how many times?


Oh really. So how about in a tournament that is...say 12.5 PSP ramping. How is the tippmann going to do that...? PSP mode on e-grips now? Or cyclone system?!? What. That is the BIGGEST mistake tippmann has made. Ratchets breaking all the time, if you have it all stock you are pretty much screwed, chops like crazy for some people, and oh yea. Anything with a cyclone feed is the BIGGEST pain in the ass when trying to play both sides of a bunker, especially a dorito.

Not to mention that only the 98 is capable of using a regular hopper. The A5 and X7 have to use the cyclone, q-loader, or a very custom modification.

Now to make a 98 custom with the E-GRIP, DOUBLE TRIGGER, and all the other fancy stuff to get it near the level of a tourney marker, you would spend more money than just going out and buying a basic speedball marker.

There is a reason why when you go to the airball field that no one will be dressed in their tourney gear, using a tippmann.
0

#13 User is offline   5N1P3R 

  • Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,832
  • Joined: 24-August 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:48 PM

View PostDomi-Nate, on 04 September 2010 - 06:10 PM, said:

Not to mention amigo. You have to take into consideration what type of games we are talking about. There are better speedball markers of course, I'm not denying that. But what I AM saying is that it can't be discounted as some entry level marker for newbs. Go on with your bad self and an X7, the phenom is a great choice. A speedball marker would not do well necessarily in a mil sim woodsball game, because for one it will stick out like a sore thumb. Secondly 20+bps getting ripped up by shrubery?(please refrain from Knights of NIII comments.)


Ha. Haha.

Try telling that to the desert edge scenario team.

How would a "speedball" marker not do well in the woods. It will stick out like a sore thumb? What...? Last time I checked almost every "speedball" marker is made in black and hell, some even come in camo (etek3's, pmrs, or annodize anything). Isn't that the color of tippmanns... :huh:

20+bps. Who does that? Oh yea. The guys with tippmanns who think they are sick because they have an e-grip.

Seriously, I have seen more people with tippmanns who think they are tough with an e-grip when they fire as fast as possible (which is a complete waste of paint and dumb IMO for anyone to do) then most speedball players. Most speedball players in the woods from what I have seen our smart about that, and usually use semi.

This post has been edited by 5N1P3R: 04 September 2010 - 08:49 PM

0

#14 User is offline   5N1P3R 

  • Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,832
  • Joined: 24-August 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:52 PM

View PostDomi-Nate, on 04 September 2010 - 05:58 PM, said:

It's a money pit if you cant afford it, but so is paintball in general, so I fail to see the relevance of that comment. Any hobby, especially when taken seriously, requires a bit of dough. I will refrain from making a silly forum face to be sarcastic or illustrate the point.


My definition of money pit: Countless, expensive upgrades, accessories, add ons, etc. that do NOTHING to enhance the performance of a paintball marker.
0

#15 User is offline   ricky mroz 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: 28-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Brigade Name:ricky

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:31 PM

thanks for the posts and ideas guys im leaning towards an a5 now lol thanks
but if not a tippmann what other kinds of relatively cheap markers are there that are customizable and all that good stuff like tippmann is and that wont bust the bank open!
0

Share this topic:


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users