Special Ops Paintball: Barrel Length - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Barrel Length Your Limit Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Barrel Length (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Where do you draw the line?

1. 10" (1 votes [1.54%])

Percentage of vote: 1.54%

2. 12" (10 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

3. 14" (36 votes [55.38%])

Percentage of vote: 55.38%

4. 16" (12 votes [18.46%])

Percentage of vote: 18.46%

5. 18" (3 votes [4.62%])

Percentage of vote: 4.62%

6. Other (Explain) (3 votes [4.62%])

Percentage of vote: 4.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Minnesota Sn1p3r 

• Back on the Attack!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:MN Sn1p3r

Post icon  Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:36 PM

Hey, I have heard many discussions on other threads regarding this topic so I figured I would make it official. Where do you guys think a barrels length is more than whats needed? Vote, then say what u think about the length of barrels, happy posting :happy:

~~The Horde~~ :D
"Its better to out-think your enemy than to out-fight them" - Sun Tzu

"I dont like paying for the same realestate twice" - General George S. Patton

#2 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:53 PM

Well in my opinion you only really need a minimum 8 inches of unported length. I believe Airgun Designs ran a test on their Automags and found 10-11 inches to be the most efficient. CO2 expands a bit slower in cold weather, so 12-14'' barrels can still be rather efficient. Longer lengths reduce air efficiency. Shorter lengths reduce air efficiency even more.

As for accuracy, it all depends. Most barrels are all pretty close - even the fixed 6'' barrels on old school PGPs shoot about as accurately as any other marker.

More porting is quieter, but will reduce air efficiency - especially if it eats into those first 8 inches. It's mostly about finding a length you're comfortable playing with.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#3 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:51 PM

Personally i prefer a 10"-12" barrel. Any longer and i feel like i am shooting with a broomstick or cane. No lie. The extra 2" on a 14" barrel makes it seem excessively long to me. I can't stand it. Has to be 12" or under. It is sad that 2" makes that much difference, but it does, to me at least.
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#4 User is offline   Match99 

• Hmph. He tried to take me marker.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:56 AM

16" is my absolute max. But I usually use a 14" barrel, my favorite being my Redz Pepperstick. 8 inches of unported, then six inches of ported. So nice and quiet on my SP1.

This post has been edited by Match99: 25 April 2009 - 05:56 AM

#5 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:28 AM

I strongly prefer 10-12" but I do have an exception - the airow gun.

Unlike most markers, the ball actually does need the full length of that ridiculous barrel to get up to speed because of the unique function of the design (I spoke to the guys who designed it @ D-Day). As it stands, it's not horrible, just bulky and there for fun (and I do have a lot of fun, forces stealth over joining the main gunfight).
Member of Team Akkadian

#6 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:45 AM

Well....I voted 14 'cause that's the biggest one I have. I know nothing on the science side, but I needed at least that length to make my marker look right. It is on my rifle that I made from an old shotgun stock. (You all remember it I'm sure ;) )
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#7 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:54 AM

View PostI.K.E., on Apr 25 2009, 09:45 AM, said:

Well....I voted 14 'cause that's the biggest one I have. I know nothing on the science side, but I needed at least that length to make my marker look right. It is on my rifle that I made from an old shotgun stock. (You all remember it I'm sure ;) )

14 feet? Get a photo! You broke the old known record of 3' ! (and yes, I have a photo of that one somewhere - Palmer's shop had it as a gag).

I know what you meant, just had to give you a hard time (in a joking way of course).

Don't worry about the science, because it's been done, and really, length of the paintball barrel (within reason - 6-8" or longer barrel) is pretty insignificant to everything but what you feel comfortable using.

Is a longer barrel less efficient? Technically yes, but you probably won't notice it, as it'll only be a few shots (literally I'd guess 5 or less, certainly no more than 10 at worst, worst case).

Length is effectively non-issue.
Member of Team Akkadian

#8 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:16 AM

View PostThalion, on Apr 25 2009, 09:54 AM, said:

View PostI.K.E., on Apr 25 2009, 09:45 AM, said:

14 feet? Get a photo! You broke the old known record of 3' ! (and yes, I have a photo of that one somewhere - Palmer's shop had it as a gag).

I know what you meant, just had to give you a hard time (in a joking way of course).

Don't worry about the science, because it's been done, and really, length of the paintball barrel (within reason - 6-8" or longer barrel) is pretty insignificant to everything but what you feel comfortable using.

Is a longer barrel less efficient? Technically yes, but you probably won't notice it, as it'll only be a few shots (literally I'd guess 5 or less, certainly no more than 10 at worst, worst case).

Length is effectively non-issue.

HAHAHA Notice the space between 14 and the next word. The apostrophe was to indicate that I had taken the BE off of because. :laugh: I should have put the quotation to indicate inches as well. HAHAHAHA

Anyway, thanks. Jokes are good, and I agree with your assessment on the barrel length. It seems to be the same argument as the one over accuracy improvements. You can spend loads of cash trying to get more accuracy out of your marker, but I don't think that in the end there will be dramatic differences between one marker and another. Changing from a J&J to a Palmers may show an improvement, but how much difference is there really?
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123

#9 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:30 AM

View PostI.K.E., on Apr 25 2009, 10:16 AM, said:

HAHAHA Notice the space between 14 and the next word. The apostrophe was to indicate that I had taken the BE off of because. ;) I should have put the quotation to indicate inches as well. HAHAHAHA

Ouch, I was sure I had the grammar cop.

Anyway, thanks. Jokes are good, and I agree with your assessment on the barrel length. It seems to be the same argument as the one over accuracy improvements. You can spend loads of cash trying to get more accuracy out of your marker, but I don't think that in the end there will be dramatic differences between one marker and another. Changing from a J&J to a Palmers may show an improvement, but how much difference is there really?

There are three big factors to paintball efficiency: consistency of marker, quality of paint, and paint/bore matching (whether you subscribe to the "overbore a little" or the "exact match" is open to debate, but we understand there is some relation to paint/bore matching, even if it's not 1:1)

As for how much difference from J&J to Palmers, I'd have to test it to answer the question intelligently.

I just tend to stick around .689-.691 barrels (Lapco mostly, but I have other barrels) and it generally works OK. Paint has always been the biggest factor I've noticed.

I've thought about buying a full blown Freak kit, but I'm not positive that it'll be that much better. That, and I don't consistently use the same marker enough to justify that expense (I have 3 main markers, one of which is a fixed barrel and the other is a Tiberius, so the freak kit can only apply to my semi).
Member of Team Akkadian

#10 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:47 AM

View PostThalion, on Apr 25 2009, 10:30 AM, said:

View PostI.K.E., on Apr 25 2009, 10:16 AM, said:

HAHAHA Notice the space between 14 and the next word. The apostrophe was to indicate that I had taken the BE off of because. :laugh: I should have put the quotation to indicate inches as well. HAHAHAHA

Ouch, I was sure I had the grammar cop.

Well...you DID point out a slight ambiguity in my post. :D ;)
You get one cookie.

#11 User is offline   badger nine 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:58 PM

I draw the line at 14 inches. anything longer and it makes it hard to move quickly in urban fields, which is why I always keep my 8 inch with me.

#12 User is offline   Jakepants 

• avatars are for fancy people, which I am not.
  • Pip

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

Longest I've ever gone is 16, but 14 is my comfort zone. A sixteen helps you eye guide the shot a little more, so it looks more accurate. But a nice 14 inch barrel is going to shoot as straight (provided bore and paint match up.)
I am ethrealwolf's little brother.
Yes, he really is that angry every day.

The Champ is here.

#13 User is offline   Minnesota Sn1p3r 

• Back on the Attack!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MN Sn1p3r

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

My limit is 14", that seems to be the perfect balance, although the MAX limit id say is 16", after that it just gets to be rediculous.

Funny story: My noob friend was going to get a new barrel, I said "Who makes it", he said, "Smart Parts", I said, "How long is it", and he says "22 inches", I said, "Y would you want a barrel that long?", he said, "More accuracy", LOL :evil: :evil: :wacko:

~~The Horde~~ :ghillie:
"Its better to out-think your enemy than to out-fight them" - Sun Tzu

"I dont like paying for the same realestate twice" - General George S. Patton

#14 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:26 PM

Anything above 14" just feels weird to me.
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#15 User is offline   Brainshot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:38 PM

It seems like the general consensus is that 14" is the average maximum length most people prefer. For the first few years that I played paintball I used a 16" barrel on a Tippmann A-5. While it was fairly accurate, I got very tired of constantly hitting my barrel on tree's, limbs, and the ground while sprinting through the woods. Since then, I have switched to a 14" Invert Nightstick (Carbon Fiber) on my A-5 and absolutely :heart: it. It's actually more accurate, consistent, and air efficient than my 16" had ever been. Not only that, but the biggest thing is that I don't have issues hitting every object I run by with my barrel. So I guess with all of that said, you know that I am definitely for anything 14" or under.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users