Special Ops Paintball: T9 Longbow Mod to support First Strike - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

T9 Longbow Mod to support First Strike

#1 User is offline   skieaskhell 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

I came up with the idea after buying several First Strike Mags:

Update the Longbow mag and receiver to allow the use of First Strike Rounds.

This way if I want to go FS all the way with a Longbow I can. I know the "slide" top of the T9 will have to be modified to allow the FS rounds to pass (just like the barrel had to be modded), however I think that being able to shoot more than 8 first strike rounds at a time without changing magazines would be excellent.

#2 User is offline   sousey 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:HELL-FIRE

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:49 AM

Do you have it working or just an idea?

Do the SpecOps extensions work with FirstStrike, they seem a little more feasible than longbow...although there may be a "bolt action" mod idea there with the longbow that might work.

#3 User is offline   skieaskhell 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:02 AM

View Postsousey, on 29 July 2010 - 10:49 AM, said:

Do you have it working or just an idea?

Do the SpecOps extensions work with FirstStrike, they seem a little more feasible than longbow...although there may be a "bolt action" mod idea there with the longbow that might work.

It's just an idea at this point. I don't have it working yet, I think the extensions would work, but I was thinking of the longbow because you can have a 3-point platform to shoot from with the placement of the magazine. I see the SO mag extension makes it too much like the T4 - just way too long for use with a bipod.

I was going to go to a machine shop with some rough dimensions and an existing Longbow mag & receiver to see how much $ it would cost. I wanted to kick it by the SO crew first to see if it could be possible (outside of the mod to the T9 slide)

This post has been edited by skieaskhell: 29 July 2010 - 12:07 PM

#4 User is offline   THUNDR 

• Heavy Metal
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Koos

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:25 PM

If it was possible, it would have to be a weird and complex design - there's a reason real firearms have magazines that don't load the rounds from front to back. They must be loaded next to each other, whether it be up and down or side to side. If you wanted a high cap magazine, my only thought would be to make it like one half of a Beta magazine - a drum that feeds into the side of the breech with a spring pushing the rounds. Probably another complex design though.

View PostMarine Scout Sniper, on 24 November 2008 - 06:47 PM, said:

I just try to fulfill what the military conciders when they look for a sniper. ...their major concern is over all accuracy, physical stamina, patience, ability to acquire top secret clearance, and prior experience in paintball and/or hunting...

Gearbag Sale

#5 User is offline   noce13o 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:16 PM

View PostTHUNDR, on 30 July 2010 - 03:25 AM, said:

If it was possible, it would have to be a weird and complex design - there's a reason real firearms have magazines that don't load the rounds from front to back. They must be loaded next to each other, whether it be up and down or side to side. If you wanted a high cap magazine, my only thought would be to make it like one half of a Beta magazine - a drum that feeds into the side of the breech with a spring pushing the rounds. Probably another complex design though.

The main reason 'most' real firearms don't have magazines that load front to back is because the pointy tip of rifle rounds could hit the primer at the back of the cartridge in front of it, triggering the bullet=baaad :tup:
Round headed bullets, rimfire bullets, and shotgun shells which don't have this risk are/were often used with a tubular magazine stacked front to back.
But it is true such a design would be difficult for first strikes, since they stack into each other (because the back fin is hollow).
I'm a bit skeptical that the OP truly has a feasible design.. :/

#6 User is offline   skieaskhell 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:46 PM

View Postnoce13o, on 04 August 2010 - 03:16 PM, said:

View PostTHUNDR, on 30 July 2010 - 03:25 AM, said:

The main reason 'most' real firearms don't have magazines that load front to back is because the pointy tip of rifle rounds could hit the primer at the back of the cartridge in front of it, triggering the bullet=baaad :tup:Round headed bullets, rimfire bullets, and shotgun shells which don't have this risk are/were often used with a tubular magazine stacked front to back.But it is true such a design would be difficult for first strikes, since they stack into each other (because the back fin is hollow).I'm a bit skeptical that the OP truly has a feasible design.. :/

I have the design in my head, and below is a very rough draft, obviously this would need some work. But you get the concept.

The view is Top-down, and shows the FS rounds stacked sideways in the Longbow mag (just as in the regular mag). The complicated part will be the "turn" to rotate the round so that is points out to the front when loaded in to the barrel. There is very little modding needed to the actual Longbow Mag (just make it a little wider on one axis, and narrower on the other, that way the rounds stay oriented correctly.) The major headache is the receiver, which turns the round. It could be that in order to rotate it, the mag ends up sticking further out to the side of the marker, that I'm cool with.

Come to think of it - that would work for any marker, as long as it's modded to receive the rounds.

Attached File  Draft FS Mag.gif (1.26K)
Number of downloads: 1

This post has been edited by skieaskhell: 05 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

#7 User is offline   noce13o 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:47 AM

View Postskieaskhell, on 05 August 2010 - 10:46 PM, said:

I have the design in my head, and below is a very rough draft, obviously this would need some work. But you get the concept.

The view is Top-down, and shows the FS rounds stacked sideways in the Longbow mag (just as in the regular mag). The complicated part will be the "turn" to rotate the round so that is points out to the front when loaded in to the barrel. There is very little modding needed to the actual Longbow Mag (just make it a little wider on one axis, and narrower on the other, that way the rounds stay oriented correctly.) The major headache is the receiver, which turns the round. It could be that in order to rotate it, the mag ends up sticking further out to the side of the marker, that I'm cool with.

Come to think of it - that would work for any marker, as long as it's modded to receive the rounds.

Attachment Draft FS Mag.gif
Ah so you're storing the first strikes side by side after all.. Could sorta work.. What I'd suggest is something like the cyclone or ripdrive to push the first strikes around the radius of the bend. Of course this means the whole sticks out a bit more.. but I think it's the simplest way of turning the rounds.

#8 Guest_B-Dazl_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

Attached File  Draft FS Mag.gif (1.26K)
Number of downloads: 1
[/quote]

That is a pretty good concept....... The big problem is that "TURN" where it goes into the breach. This is something that HAS been discussed at length around here. I personally would LOVE to run a magazine with FS and a Longbow with FS, it would be AWESOME!!

By the way, the 17 rd EXT mags we make, DO NOT work with First Strike........... just FYI

-Dazl

#9 User is offline   skieaskhell 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

View PostB-Dazl, on 06 August 2010 - 11:52 AM, said:

That is a pretty good concept....... The big problem is that "TURN" where it goes into the breach. This is something that HAS been discussed at length around here. I personally would LOVE to run a magazine with FS and a Longbow with FS, it would be AWESOME!!

By the way, the 17 rd EXT mags we make, DO NOT work with First Strike........... just FYI

-Dazl

Dazl,

Thanks for the HU. I have thought about it more, and may have solved the turn issue, I thought of a re-design of both the mag and the receiver:

Have the mag do the "turn", that is instead of a straight piece of pipe, have it bent 90 degrees, at a relatively long curve, kinda like a :J:. Then the receiver would be a vertical "drop in", instead of a horizontal slide.

Edit: BTW, if this does come to fruition, I want the first demo! :)

This post has been edited by skieaskhell: 06 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

#10 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:36 AM

View Postnoce13o, on 04 August 2010 - 02:16 PM, said:

The main reason 'most' real firearms don't have magazines that load front to back is because the pointy tip of rifle rounds could hit the primer at the back of the cartridge in front of it, triggering the bullet=baaad :tup:
Round headed bullets, rimfire bullets, and shotgun shells which don't have this risk are/were often used with a tubular magazine stacked front to back.
But it is true such a design would be difficult for first strikes, since they stack into each other (because the back fin is hollow).
I'm a bit skeptical that the OP truly has a feasible design.. :/

Just stack them in a modded Longbow mag like the shell tube on a shotgun. Instead of the tube being under the gun and feeding up on the pump stroke like a shotgun, the first strikes are in the top tube loading down using the same mechanics as a shotgun feed system. I don't really know how to mod that design to grab the First Strike rounds, since they have no rim/lip on the back like a shotgun shell. Maybe a plastic or biodegradable sleeve? i mean, if you are spending money to buy individual tubes of first strike rounds (which already have the plasic fin) you'd think you'd buy a sleeves too? little plastic thingies can't be too expensive

This post has been edited by Eagle Eye: 19 April 2011 - 08:39 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users