Special Ops Paintball: Type of temporary sniper veil - - Request for input - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Type of temporary sniper veil - - Request for input For those time when a little more concealment will go a long way Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Gunney 

• Gunney
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Gunney1221

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:23 PM

Here is what Iím getting at:
I have found myself in situations during regular weekend rec play & 2-Day woodsball scenario games when I could have really used some type of three-dimensional camo for my mask thatÖ
1. could simply slip over my mask.
2. would conceal my head and the skin of my neck.
3. would be breathable enough to not cause my mask to only fog up faster.
4. would remain in place until I took it off.
5. was not too bulky (like the hooded portion of a ghillie suit) so that I could carry it in my leg pouch.
6. when it had served its purpose could be removed and stowed for possible use later.

(Please note that I want to stay away from anything that is "hunting camo" like REAL TREE and the likeÖjust a personal preference of mine).

Iím looking for suggestions on things I could make or buy.

The following are failed attempts that Iíve made trying to achieve the six conditions listed above:
I have triedÖ
-making a ghillie mask
-painting my mask
-wrapping a sniper veil around my mask and neck
-searching online for anything that I could buy

My whole purpose here is to be able to decide on the spot, while in the middle of a game, to pull this thing out of my leg pouch put it over my mask and have my head and neck better concealed until I decided to take it off.

The point is that all too often, even though you are wearing camo from shoulder to toe, the one thing that the OP4 sees and is therefore made aware of your presence by ,even if you are hiding, IS YOUR MASK. Its shape and size no matter the type, brand, or color is unmistakable. Not to mention the reflective nature of the lenses. (I know about goggle skinsÖthey donít fit every type of mask) The shape and size of your mask is the kind of thing that you donít normally see in nature and so time and again it will give you away.

But keep in mind that during the majority of the time it does not matter if the OP4 knows you are there or not. Cuz once you have committed to engaging the OP4 until either you or they are eliminated or until you break off the attack and fall back, they know you are there and no amount of ghillie will change that.

Therefore Iím looking for a temporay way to better conceal my head and neck during a game.

What type of situations would this even help in?...
-Static defense with single player ambush points surrounding an objective for the purpose of defending it.
-Sneaking up to an objective through the brush to ensure a better chance of remaining undetected until you decide to launch a committed attack.
-Single man recon in OP4 territory. *Thatís just to name a few.*

All input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
GUNNEY - Gun runner for hire

YESHUA - In this name there is power

#2 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:27 PM

Well, Goggleskinz are able to be cut to fit some masks that it's not made for, or you could buy 2 and cut and paste them into one- what mask/gog system do you have?

Here's the only other thing I can think of that works very well, and seems to fit the criteria you stated. The British sniper veil- it's very open and lightweight, but offers decent concealment and breaks up your outline very well. It's not the heavy cloth ones that you're likely talking about above, it's a mesh material.

Take a peek and let me know if it works for you:
http://www.sniperghillies.com/products/Sni...a128f4ac93ce951

http://www.cheaperth.../MIL2160-1.html

CTD is currently out of stock, but most on-line Ghille retailers carry a newer version of this veil. Hope this helps.

This post has been edited by Violator: 09 February 2009 - 11:31 PM

This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#3 User is offline   jim762 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:jim762

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:08 AM

Here is what my friend uses:

Posted Image

In this pic, he has it wrapped around the barrel:
Posted Image

Not sure where he got it, but i can ask him if you want. Pm me and i will ask him on saturday when i see him.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't!
Sponsored by: Urban Ops Armory

#4 User is offline   Gunney 

• Gunney
  • Pip

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:31 PM

View PostViolator, on Feb 10 2009, 12:27 AM, said:

Well, Goggleskinz are able to be cut to fit some masks that it's not made for, or you could buy 2 and cut and paste them into one- what mask/gog system do you have?

Here's the only other thing I can think of that works very well, and seems to fit the criteria you stated. The British sniper veil- it's very open and lightweight, but offers decent concealment and breaks up your outline very well. It's not the heavy cloth ones that you're likely talking about above, it's a mesh material.

Take a peek and let me know if it works for you:
http://www.sniperghillies.com/products/Sni...a128f4ac93ce951

http://www.cheaperth.../MIL2160-1.html

CTD is currently out of stock, but most on-line Ghille retailers carry a newer version of this veil. Hope this helps.

I use a black V-Force Profiler.

#5 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:51 PM

Well- there you're out of luck for Goggleskinz- they don't fit "bubble" lenses like V-Forces and Invision. Sorry.

I have seen a few threads here where some guys did a very light spray of paint through a mesh mask to recreate the effect of 'skinz with paint. Try a search here for painting mask or such.

Did you look at the mesh veil, and is it a solution for your needs?
This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#6 User is offline   Bagheera 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Bagheera

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:01 PM

I don't know if this helps, but this is what I came up with;

Posted Image

Posted Image

The mesh is broken up into three parts;
1) a "beard" that hangs from the front of the mask, under the goggles
2) a "goggle-skinz" type of placement that fits tight over the goggles, and hangs loose over the "beard", which can be raised up and over the goggles for completely free viewing, or lowered for more camo.
3) a full veil that hangs to the sides and down half of my back. Because this part is attached directly to the removable visor, when I remove the visor the full veil is removed along with the visor. It can be re-attached at any time.

WTB Tac-One Warp Right Body

"No such thing as a paintball sniper? I can see how you'd think that, but remember, just because you can't see us, doesn't mean we don't exist." - AnEchoSoldier

#7 User is offline   jim762 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:jim762

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:48 AM

I like it!!! can you do a thread on materials and how to make it??? I think it a lot of people would be interested in that.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't!
Sponsored by: Urban Ops Armory

#8 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:59 AM

Or just take some mesh like that, do a few layers and rubberband it to your mask and fold a flap of the mesh over the rubberband. Works nicely.

#9 User is offline   Bagheera 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:11 AM

View Postjim762, on Feb 11 2009, 02:48 AM, said:

I like it!!! can you do a thread on materials and how to make it??? I think it a lot of people would be interested in that.

I knew I should have taken pictures while building this, damn.

The 3 separate pieces (beard, goggle cover, and veil) are actually bolted through, interestingly enough. I'm using standard 8/32 bolts of varying lengths. That particular size goes VERY TIGHTLY through the holes in the mesh, which is super durable and won't break. I then bolted it directly to the mask with washers, same as anyone would do if they're being creative with other mask adornments like spikes or something. I then painted the bolts green or brown once they're on the mask. Incidentally, I also did a flecktarn camo pattern on the whole mask with a hand held mask I designed and cut out, and paint from Home Depot lol.

The process was as follows;

1) Remove the lens!
2) Cut out material for the "beard", put it up to about where I wanted it, and noted where the holes would go.
3) Got a drill and put a couple of extra holes on the "shelf" right below the goggles (bolts seen on pic.)
4) Hand screwed about halfway the bolts through the material. Don't force it through, let the fabric grab the threads on the bolt, then when you actually bolt it through the mask to the waiting nut and washer on the other side, the threads on the bolt will get a tight grip on the fabric.
5) When cutting your "beard" make sure that you leave an open space for your mouth, as you want as free airflow as possible. Trust me, no one is going to be tipped off by just the mouth part of your mask poking through. However, you will thank me for the air flow. Every little bit helps.

Posted Image

6) Did the same for the top of the mask, above the goggles (seen on pic.) Notice I didn't put a bolt dead center. That's because that's where the visor has a thing that attaches to the mask. I got mine nice and tight, so it acts like "goggle-skinz", yet hangs loose below it, overlapping the "beard". I also cut this right through the center, over the "beard", almost up to the goggles, so that it widens out and loosens, and doesn't impair my breathing at all.

Posted Image

7) Attached visor and my longest length of mesh material, making sure it drapes over my back and shoulders nicely. Interestingly enough, it's almost like a lightweight mesh cape, meaning that you can throw it completely over your back and exposing your shoulders when running and gunning. When stalking, you can draw it over your shoulders for a better outline break up. I haven't put bolts at the furthest points on the visor, because when I did have bolts at the furthest points, the material gathered in a funny way, making these funny "wings" or "bat ears" which kind of screwed up being inconspicuous, so I only have bolts forward of the halfway point of the profile of the visor.

(shown upside down for bolt placement)
Posted Image

(shown right side up and in profile for draping)
Posted Image

Note at this point I haven't done any cutting to the mesh to give it that "ghillie" look. The mesh at this point is still pretty blah and flat.

(below is an earlier pic of the mesh looking blah and flat, photos above are recent)
Posted Image

IMPORTANT: Save all your scraps as you're cutting material out for these pieces, you'll need them. I use a freezer bag.

8) Check fit, and make sure that everything drapes well together. Make sure your bolts aren't too long and poking you in your head or face. Push your mask around, HARD on your face and skull because you don't want to take a dive in the middle of a game and have a bolt slam into your skull, that would hurt.

9) Now comes the fun part. Bust out your sharpest scissors, your green and brown thread, and your scraps. Take your scissors and cut a bunch of "V"'s into your mask at all angles. Gravity and the natural curl of the material will force these out into leafy patterns. Experiment with other shapes too, and think like a tree. Cut some holes without making a full circuit (in other words, don't cut a full hole and let it drop out completely), let some material hang, and then cut into that so you have even more material poking out. What you're doing is not only providing an outline breakup, you're also increasing the breathability of this camo further. Do this to all three pieces, but don't cut into the material where it overlaps your goggles.

10) You should now have a TON of scraps lying around. Keep these organized in your freezer bag, it will keep your wife happy as you do it while watching TV with her, as you won't be making a mess. Take your needle and thread and happily tie off and cut little scraps to add extra leafy bits at odd angles. Remember, try to be as random as possible.

You can take the visor off when in the middle of a game, but will need help from a buddy, or by yourself in the DZ, to reattach it, just as with any other visor. With the visor off, all you have is the beard and visor mesh, which as noted earlier, can

Reposting images of final product, so that it's all in one post if anyone needs to reference in the future;

Posted Image
Posted Image

Note: This is not a true ghillie, I don't think I need one, they're too damn hot, and only rarely useful. This is an item that is used to break up my outline when firing from cover, and allows me to move quickly and without overheating, hence why it's made up of mesh, and only mesh, including all the leafy bits.

This post has been edited by Bagheera: 11 February 2009 - 10:17 AM

"No such thing as a paintball sniper? I can see how you'd think that, but remember, just because you can't see us, doesn't mean we don't exist." - AnEchoSoldier

#10 User is offline   Gunney 

• Gunney
  • Pip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

I have tried using the mesh material and it doesn't give me the three dimentional efftect that I'm looking for. Not to mention the fact that my black mask would still be seen through the mesh with little effort.

Now before anyone says that I should consider getting a different type of mask, I already have and have come to the conclusion that the V-force profiler is (for what I consider important in terms of masks) the best choice.

V-force fogs less, the profile lens gives me a greater field of vision, and black is the only color that didn't stand out as mush as the others (colors that the v-force profiler is available in).

I think I might have found a solution though...spec ops ACTION GHILLIE II HOOD KIT.

But according to SpecOps Paintball Customer Service its been discontinued.

All I really need is the mesh hood portion of the ACTION GHILLIE II HOOD KIT and I can attach what ever I need to it.

#11 User is offline   Teufel_Hunden 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:19 PM

put facepaint on your mask to get rid of the black.
http://www.hunterspec.com/Updateable/updat...p;categoryID=29
i prefer the tube stuff. heres a pick of my mask before we went and played in a bunch of salt cedars.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Teufel_Hunden: 11 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

A Alcohol
T Tobacco
F Firearms
Who's bringing the chips?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sue the B.E.T for racism.

#12 User is offline   Bagheera 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:32 PM

View PostTeufel_Hunden, on Feb 11 2009, 06:19 PM, said:

i prefer the tube stuff. heres a pick of my mask before we went and played in a bunch of salt cedars.

Does all that jute get hot?

#13 User is offline   Teufel_Hunden 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:55 AM

View PostBagheera, on Feb 11 2009, 06:32 PM, said:

View PostTeufel_Hunden, on Feb 11 2009, 06:19 PM, said:

Does all that jute get hot?

its not too bad in the winter. i dont usually wear it and theres no burlap on my mask just facepaint.
A Alcohol
T Tobacco
F Firearms
Who's bringing the chips?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sue the B.E.T for racism.

#14 User is offline   Lobes 

• A transient formation of smaller particles.
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Lobes

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:25 AM

I've found that a shemagh does the trick.
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Gunney 

• Gunney
  • Pip

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

View PostMediocrityGetsYouPears, on Feb 13 2009, 08:25 AM, said:

I've found that a shemagh does the trick.

I've used this sniper veil from OPSGEAR. Its made from a mesh material and it causes my mask to fog up way to fast for it to be considered a worthy investment in concealment.

To any one who views and coments on this topic, please know that I live in southeast Louisiana wher the humidity stays at about 80% - 100% all year.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users