• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dangerous Mask need replacement!

#1 User is offline   runway227 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:02 PM

I have this ancient brass eagle mask from 1997 that my cousin gave to me when i was 12. It is a good mask that I began using when I got into paintball last year. It has never let me down, but when I went to try and find some information on it I found this

http://www.cpsc.gov/...ML98/98150.html

It appears the mask is dangerous and I was looking for advice on what other masks are good. Im looking into a pair of empire E-vents that my friend is willing to sell me for 35, or I could go witha nice new pair of proflexs. I couldnt find a goggle forum so I'm posting here. If people want pictures of my mask I could post them because besides the occasional fogging it's flawless, and I cant find anything wrong with it. thanks for any help

#2 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

if thats your mask, then yeah dont use it!

i do recomend a proflex to you though, there my favorite
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

"Lenses that bear a date stamp, consisting of numbers molded into the lens, on a tab located at the outside corner of the wearer's right lens, are not subject to this recall."

Just a certain run of lenses are/were recalled not the entire mask. BE should still have the appropriate information on file. If not it's not hard to change the lens.

This post has been edited by Maj Tom: 09 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

#4 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

Also, look into the Profilers, they're a good mask for pretty cheap. :)
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

#5 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:55 PM

This recall involves the lenses of the Brass Eagle's "Xtreme Vision 280" paintball masks, sold before April 1998. The eagle logo is imprinted into the forehead of the mask, and "Z Leader" is printed on the lens. "Brass Eagle by Z Leader" is printed on the strap. Item no. 7472 appears on the bottom of the box, in which the mask was sold.

If your mask is 10 years old I'd hope you'd have replaced the lens several times since you bought it.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#6 User is offline   runway227 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:36 AM

Puzuma, on Feb 9 2009, 10:55 PM, said:

This recall involves the lenses of the Brass Eagle's "Xtreme Vision 280" paintball masks, sold before April 1998. The eagle logo is imprinted into the forehead of the mask, and "Z Leader" is printed on the lens. "Brass Eagle by Z Leader" is printed on the strap. Item no. 7472 appears on the bottom of the box, in which the mask was sold.

If your mask is 10 years old I'd hope you'd have replaced the lens several times since you bought it.

um no. The mask was a gift given to me used 2.5 years ago. I cant find anyone who sells replacement lenses for the mask so yeah i have not tinkered with it whatsoever since i acquired it.

#7 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:23 AM

2.5 years ago? That's way after the recall. So why post a 10 year old recall as a reason to want to replace it?

If it's because your parents think it's still a good mask and you are trying to scare them... That's not right.

Not being able to find a replacement lens IS a good reason to get a new mask. Lenses SHOULD be replaced at a least once per season, more in speedball as multiple goggle shots can occur. With 2.5 years you should be on your third lens.

Not trying to be harsh, just trying to understand.

What kind budget do you have for goggles? What ever you choose to get, looking into getting a spare lens at the same time.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#8 User is offline   poohbear13 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:POOHBEAR13

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:49 AM

Yeah what puz said.
But masks are all personal preference.
Get one that you like the fit of and has a decent lens.
Some of my personal favorite are: Grillz, Proflex, Profiler, events, avatars.

IMO a good mask is way more important than the gun your using don't skimp and get a crap mask.

#9 User is offline   Nom Carver 

• My browser PWNS yours!!!
  • PipPip

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:13 AM

Dude if your friend is offering you a pair of E-Vents for $35 and they're in good condition here's what you should do:
1. Try them on.
2. If they are comfortable, proceed to step 3. If not, say "no thanks."
3. Hand your friend the $35.
4. Take the E-Vents, put them on, slap your friend, dance around him singing "Fee, Fie, Foe, Fum, I got a pair of E-Vents from a silly Englishman!"

E-Vents are AWESOME!!!!!!!

This post has been edited by Nom Carver: 10 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

(\__,,
( x x) <--- This is Bunny if I see him in one more signature...
(")_ -==(")
Dear Tippmann, Clamshells suck. Signed, Friggin everybody - F-3
feedback My How to paint snakeskin how-to; OMG!!!

#10 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:58 AM

For a pair of E-Vents in good condition, that price chould not be passed up.

If however they are in crap shape or don't feel comfortable, then get a replacement lense for the BE. If I'm not mistaken, that is a Profiler lense... can anyone else confirm? I purchased a "Zleader" lense for my Profiler a couple years ago, I'm pretty sure it was from MajTom - it looks identical to the one pictured. It had the date stamp on it if I recall & worked great 'til I replaced it last Spring (due to scratches & countless gog shots).

This post has been edited by ger: 10 February 2009 - 10:58 AM

ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#11 User is offline   Nom Carver 

• PipPip

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

Yea actually the Z-Leader is a really...well...um...unique looking mask that definitely stands out. If the E-Vents just aren't for you, look into a replacement lens, then make a sticker reading "Bubble Head" and put it across the top of the lens. I would go for a pair of E-Vents or Proflexes if you decide to junk it. I have seen a place where E-Vents of most colors go for less than Profilers, here let me check my history, the place is called paintballgateway.com. They even have a pair of yellow ones in the clearance section on sale for $40.
(\__,,
(")_ -==(")

#12 User is offline   runway227 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:10 AM

hello, first mask ever. I only started playing last spring and the old mask lieing in the depths of my closet seemed like a cheap way to break into paintball without fronting 60 bucks for a good mask. I will agree that that was naive thinking and that I only discovered that recall earlier this week. My buddy just so happens to be a rich snob(i go to private school) and he wants to buy some new dye mask that's listed for about 120$, so I am completely comfortable taking the mask off his hands. Especially since they were only used for one season.

#13 User is offline   Nom Carver 

• PipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:36 AM

runway227, on Feb 11 2009, 02:10 AM, said:

hello, first mask ever. I only started playing last spring and the old mask lieing in the depths of my closet seemed like a cheap way to break into paintball without fronting 60 bucks for a good mask. I will agree that that was naive thinking and that I only discovered that recall earlier this week. My buddy just so happens to be a rich snob(i go to private school) and he wants to buy some new dye mask that's listed for about 120$, so I am completely comfortable taking the mask off his hands. Especially since they were only used for one season.

Hey dude not trying to offend you, personally I think it looks kinda cool. For a starter mask that lens has a way better field of vision than any other cheap mask out there. The Bubble head thing would just be a joke that would get a couple laughs at the field. Sorry if that came out wrong though. Oh and I believe that your rich snob friend is looking into the Dye I4s, very expensive mask, I believe they go for $100 right now. If you get those E-Vents, make sure to do the dance. :)

This post has been edited by Nom Carver: 11 February 2009 - 08:38 AM

(\__,,
(")_ -==(")

#14 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:51 AM

Nothing wrong w/ the mask you have - I just saw a guy at the field two weeks ago rocking the same one still. The Profiler lense is notorious for having a huge field of vision, I can barely see the mask frame while playing. If your lense is somehow old enough to be a recalled version or if it's just old & scratched, then picking up a new Profiler lense is your cheapest option for sure, maybe $20 or less including shipping from ebay.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#15 User is offline   runway227 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:38 PM

ger, on Feb 11 2009, 10:51 AM, said:

Nothing wrong w/ the mask you have - I just saw a guy at the field two weeks ago rocking the same one still. The Profiler lense is notorious for having a huge field of vision, I can barely see the mask frame while playing. If your lense is somehow old enough to be a recalled version or if it's just old & scratched, then picking up a new Profiler lense is your cheapest option for sure, maybe $20 or less including shipping from ebay.

I do love my mask. Would a Profiler lens be compatible with the mask? because I am positive that it is the older version from 1997 and I find it hard to believe that any lens would be interchangeable with the current lens

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users