• You cannot reply to this topic

My ctf tournament this weekend Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Gravdigr 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Gravdigr

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:47 PM

So we had a big tournament this past weekend (20x10 person teams). Games were best of 3 matches. Round time limit was 15 minutes. It was a single center flag that once aquired had to be taken to the other teams base to cap it. If the flag is not capped within the time limit you go by teammembers left on the field. If a team is in posession of the flag it counts as an extra member. It was double elimination with a loser bracket champion playing the winner bracket champion.

So we win our first 6 matches straight decimating all opposition. Next game we wind up going to 3 matches and losing 2. The other teams strategy was to grab the flag fast, take it back to their base, and play defense sitting on the flag until time runs out winning by attrition. The next game we played the first team we beat. They had our number this time and were the only team all day to cap on us. We capped on them once and they capped on us once and won by numbers once.

So while we did finish only third I am proud of my team because all 8 of our match wins were caps rather than the wimp grab the flag and camp that the 1st and 2nd place teams did. Also this is the first team got to play all together all at once. I am a tired mofo after 16 hours yesterday and 13 hours today I am running on 4 hours sleep since 6am yesterday morning lol.

We got a ton of helmet cam footage and once I get it edited I will post it up.

#2 User is offline   wbsniper94 

• "what a man fears most is what he cannot see"
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:wbsniper94

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:41 PM

Kind of a difficult post to reply to, not alot for us to say after reading it.

Sounds like you had a great time, thats the most important part. First time outting your team, then that is truely well done.

I wouldn't say they were wimps for "sitting on the flag and playing for numbers", if it worked for them, it work. I do think that took the "fun factor" out of it for you guys, but nothing you can do about it.
SHAMELESS GUYS unite !!!!!!! PUZ for PREZ
Shameless guys quote #1: "Real men eat burgers, not pie or ikes, that's just an epic fail."

#3 User is offline   Gravdigr 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:13 PM

I'm actually just gushing about how proud I am of my team and giving a recap of how our first tourney went. We have 2 older (late 30s) veteran players on our team but for the rest of us it was our first tourney ever.

Also met some fantastic people and made what will be some lasting friendships beyond just playing paintball together.

For instance. During the semifinals I am in a room and get handed a BS yellow flag for overshooting (the flag was later rescinded by the player that called it on me). I was steamed and we were being harassed by a player in the next room. When they ended the hold fire after the flag was handed I went full force into the door pushing it open not knowing the guy was right on the other side of the door. He pushed back and I just got my marker and head through the gap (no blind firing) and opened up on him as he opened up on me. We fired about 5 shots each. Stopped and looked at each other. Then he says "we are both out, but damn that was awesome man." I had an ear to ear grin as we walked back to the dead zone together laughing and jawing back and forth. I gave him his only welt of the tournament and he snuch a ball under my mask for a nice hit to my chin. That completely took away all the anger I had and I went back to what I was doing, having a great time. His wife is captain of their team and we wound up hanging out together the rest of the tourney and will all be going out together (me and my wife and them) to hang out.

Another reason I love this sport.

#4 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:15 PM

I don't agree that a "grab and camp" strategy is wimpy. I mean, look at the results. In my mind, when you're in a competition, it is not about "Mad PB Skills" so much as it is about strategy and focusing ON THE WIN.

For example: Couple of my friends and I went to a scenario this summer that involved 2 events that required moving eggs from one place to another (Spice Wars, hard to explain). One of my friends put his marker down and didn't even use it for those events. He low-crawled 100 yards in mud and dragged the box with his foot, to win one, and marched back and forth across the field to win the other. All without a marker. My other friend and I covered his butt and made the windows for his movements, but the point was that he won those events without his marker. He won without using paint. He won because he focused on the strategy necessary to win the game, not get kills.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#5 User is offline   Gravdigr 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:35 PM

I guess I view it as an objective game. During the deathmatch tourney a few months ago they enforced an anti-camping rule because teams would just sit and not move and matches would drag and be not fun. For the CTF tourney the camping rule was suspended to allow teams to leave defenders back at their base to prevent a flag cap. The strategy they used of grabbing the flag then taking it back to their base and sitting on it technically followed the rules but did not follow the spirit of the rule, a loophole if you will.

In any case the strategy did work. We tried to adjust but once they get dug in back there it was virtually impossible to crack them due to the course design. And we did a LOT of strategy. When we would see which team we would play next one or 2 of my team members would go pump any other teams they played for intelligence on how the team we were going to play did their thing. Were they fast? Did they rush tunnel? Were they able to be intimidated? There was a lot of psych warfare between matches. Like when we played team Young Guns, it was a local team of kids between the ages of 12 and 18. They though they were all that and a bag of chips. We learned they had a member or two that was afraid of being hit so we started talking loudly so they could overhear (their table was right by ours) about trying not to get flagged for overkill and make sure we hit them no more than 2 or 3 times per player. Then we would start pointing over discussing what order we would take them out. We loaded heavy with paint (I can carry almost 1,000 rounds in my pods) saying how we wanted to lay as much as possible. First match we came out gunning hardcore, not really shooting at the other team but hitting doors and any metal barrels, whatever would make the most racket. We won the first match, the second match a kid of about fifteen was seen on one of the arena cameras wiping paint off a wall onto his mask and calling himself hit. It was all a psych out. We did not 'light them up'. We never hit any of them with more than 1 ball. But the intimidation factor was huge hehe.

EDIT: oh, and during this game we and another team had flag runners who would drop their markers when they got the flag and low crawl with it into the other teams base. The flag was on a 4' long wooden pole and pretty heavy. Almost impossible to carry with a marker at the same time. Most of our caps were done by an unarmed player. In your example the player you describe completed the objective. Only one team completed an objective against us in one match. The rest used the camping loophole which IMO is not as honorable even though they technically stayed within the rules. I think other teams learned we play very agressive and are practically impossible to move the flag against and rather than try they took their other choice which was hide. So we definitely earned respect.

This post has been edited by Gravdigr: 08 November 2009 - 10:43 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users