• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

pistol holster on leg or vest?

#1 User is offline   TeleFragger 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:00 AM

what is your preference to keeping your pistol quickly convenient?

im going to order a rap4 tac ten vest in a week or 2 (side job money coming in)

so i am going to get everything at once...

vest, camel pack, name tags... so need to figure if it is better to have a pistol on the vest or on the leg... on the leg it seems it would swing around while running.. bang into stuff.......

but on a vest.. on your chest you can bang it on the ground....

im not looking at carrying many pods.... so i would take a 3 pod off the front and have the pistol... then still have 4 pod on back and 3 pod on front... (most likely will run 0 pods up front)...

so what do you prefer? (forget cost... not rich but will save for what makes sense...)

also bout definite on the T8.1 with strike first ammo.....
*********Feedback**** click on a link below
-------Specops-------------MCB

#2 User is offline   FMPlayer 

• FMPlayer
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:FMplayer

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:35 AM

the leg holster has a strap so it doesn't bounce around.
INK, It does a body good!
I started out drawing on my arm, now look at me!
my-feedback-http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=158964

#3 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:32 PM

Drop leg holster works great for me. There are straps on the leg. Some chicken-legged folks have to criss-cross the straps.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

Neither. Hip.

Even the straps failed to keep my holster from bouncing around a little. More rotating around my leg while running. I play pistol primary, so I don't use a vest. Belt/hip holster is the best option for me. Doesn't move at all.

#5 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:08 PM

the hip holster straps look the best too .. from the ones that i have seen, those appear to be the most functional

This post has been edited by klaatu: 16 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

#6 User is offline   TPX 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:53 PM

Leg holsters suck, unless they are adjusted properly and have the proper harness. The Kydex y drop leg holsters from skunkworks pb are good though. Drop legs need a good belt to work properly. I used to wear my tac 8 on my leg, but it would pull the belt I wore off. I like hip holsters like the molle tac 8/tpx holster from spec ops. It can be placed anywhere, but I feel that it's most accessible on the hip
<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Disparando paintballs, ocho en una vez con mi T9, y T8. Currently have: t8-black-with trg, t9-black with longbow stock, milsig paradigm-black,upped mech ion-black,stock a5-black, cci phantom-green. Spec-Ops official fanboy #1<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

#7 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

Drawing your pistol from the thigh rig holster will be a more natural and faster motion so if you're looking for a quick draw, that's where you want it. If you wear it properly bouncing around and shifting shouldn't be an issue.

If you plan on going prone alot wearing your marker on your vest is probably a bad idea. I don't know how reliable your pistol is but it better be very cause you'll be dragging it around in dirt mud and whatever else you end up crawling though. Also a good way to lose it, especially if its a holster with one of those snap straps.

Hip holsters probably a better idea than on the vest. But will your vest get in the way? I carry a knife on my belt for opening paint cutting rope etc and my vest makes it a real pain to pull the thing out, I don't carry a side... marker but if I did I certainly wouldn't want to be caught fumbling around trying to draw it when my vest is getting in the way. And like i said the thigh rig will be a faster draw. But if you can get the two to work together and you're more comfortable with the hip holster, go for it.

Word to the wise: secure your belt-stays.
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:47 PM

View PostShipwreck!, on Jan 17 2010, 02:41 PM, said:

Drawing your pistol from the thigh rig holster will be a more natural and faster motion so if you're looking for a quick draw, that's where you want it. If you wear it properly bouncing around and shifting shouldn't be an issue.

If you plan on going prone alot wearing your marker on your vest is probably a bad idea. I don't know how reliable your pistol is but it better be very cause you'll be dragging it around in dirt mud and whatever else you end up crawling though. Also a good way to lose it, especially if its a holster with one of those snap straps.

Hip holsters probably a better idea than on the vest. But will your vest get in the way? I carry a knife on my belt for opening paint cutting rope etc and my vest makes it a real pain to pull the thing out, I don't carry a side... marker but if I did I certainly wouldn't want to be caught fumbling around trying to draw it when my vest is getting in the way. And like i said the thigh rig will be a faster draw. But if you can get the two to work together and you're more comfortable with the hip holster, go for it.

Word to the wise: secure your belt-stays.

i second that...
Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#9 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:00 PM

View PostSO45615, on Jan 20 2010, 09:47 PM, said:

i second that...

Thank you sir. I don't get that very often around here haha!
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   The Bear 

• The Bear
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ghost Bear

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

I use a drop leg holster myself. It does move around a little but hasn't been bad enough for me to change holster styles. Just need to get it adjusted properly and have a good belt to hang it off.

Shipwreck! is right about the natural draw from the leg holster. When I have my arms at my side my hand is right on the grip of my pistol. Easy to find, easy to draw. I can also easily draw from the prone position or when belly crawling, if I had had it holstered on my vest I couldn't really do that.

If you get a drop leg holster make sure you get one with a retainer strap secured with a good snap or buckle, NOT just Velcro. Velcro will get messed up, full or crap, and eventually just wont work. I've lost my pistol many times with Velcro only holsters.

It's going to depend on your style of play, size of your pistol, and what your most comfortable with. Experiment, try some different things, see what you like.

Bear

This post has been edited by The Bear: 20 January 2010 - 09:49 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:39 PM

View PostThe Bear, on Jan 20 2010, 10:12 PM, said:

I use a drop leg holster myself. It does move around a little but hasn't been bad enough for me to change holster styles. Just need to get it adjusted properly and have a good belt to hang it off.

SO45615 is right about the natural draw from the leg holster. When I have my arms at my side my hand is right on the grip of my pistol. Easy to find, easy to draw. I can also easily draw from the prone position or when belly crawling, if I had had it holstered on my vest I couldn't really do that.

If you get a drop leg holster make sure you get one with a retainer strap secured with a good snap or buckle, NOT just Velcro. Velcro will get messed up, full or crap, and eventually just wont work. I've lost my pistol many times with Velcro only holsters.
It's going to depend on your style of play, size of your pistol, and what your most comfortable with. Experiment, try some different things, see what you like.

Bear

Hey man, that was me :(

Bear is right too. Velcrow is a bum deal, plus it's gonna be noisier if your trying to be stealthy. I recomend a paddle holster, instead of a strap it'll have a thick composite platic loop thing on hinges that flips over the top of your gat. It has a paddle on the inside by your thigh, you push down on that compressing a spring that holds the loop in place then rotate the whole assembly down and forward off of the gun. This will keep it uber secure all the time, and makes drawing even quicker and easier as you can do all of that while griping the gun with your fingers and it leaves your thumb right on the side of the gun where you would normally hold it.

I don't know how well I described it, but uhhh... look it up. Unfortunately I'm not sure if they make them for paintball guns...
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   The Bear 

• The Bear
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ghost Bear

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:51 PM

View PostShipwreck!, on Jan 20 2010, 11:39 PM, said:

Hey man, that was me :(

Sorry, my bad! Edited.

Bear
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:14 PM

Thank you Mr. Bear :D
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Lachero 

• We Few...
  • PipPip

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:42 PM

i've got a spec ops leg holster for my t9 and hate it...i've played 2 games with it and it bounces and moves to much when the t9 is in it. It would also seem that since you plan on going prone the chest rig might not be the best option. Try the hip...or play pistol primary and don't even get a holster, just some mag puches
I like turtles!
Support Cedric Diggory...Edward Stinks!

#15 User is offline   sousey 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:HELL-FIRE

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:08 AM

I had the RAP4 leg drop for my T8 and HATED IT! i recently just got the Rap4 Tac10 vest with front holster and liked it (only used it once and do not hate it and have not configured it to a "love it" stage yet) ...i will probably only have the holster on the front the next time I play, i did not like the front pod holders and other pockets that didn't use.

The leg drop i had bounced around EVER STEP!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users