Special Ops Paintball: Air Tank Depreceiation - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Air Tank Depreceiation How much does their value go down over time? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:00 AM

Hey guys,

I was just wondering how much I might get for an older fiber-wrapped air tank but I don't know how to price it... how much does price drop per year, knowing a fiber-wrapped tank only lasts (up to) 15 years total?

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:15 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 01 December 2010 - 05:00 PM, said:

Hey guys,

I was just wondering how much I might get for an older fiber-wrapped air tank but I don't know how to price it... how much does price drop per year, knowing a fiber-wrapped tank only lasts (up to) 15 years total?

Thanks!

Some depreciation formulae are:

(INITIAL COST - RESIDUAL VALUE) / LIFETIME IN YEARS

(INITIAL COST + INVESTMENT - RESIDUAL VALUE) / LIFETIME IN YEARS
e.g. in the UK a fibre cylinder costs about £150 and costs £25 per test (excluding any postage)

A simplified straight line calculation would be (£150 + £25 + £25) / 15 = £13.33 depreciation per year

Note the attached uses a straight line depriciation, but also illustrates that between year 4 & 5 the value can jump up a little when the test takes place. (e.g. a year 4 cylinder has 11 years life compared to a year 5 cylinder with 10 years life, but the year 5 has had the test taken place)

Attached File  depreciation.jpg (53.36K)
Number of downloads: 5
Note that rounding of my straight line depreciation means I have 5p left over

In reality it is worth what someone would pay for it.
You will find that a brand new cylinder will not last you 15 years as you will have lost a month or so waiting for the cylinder to get to the store.
Once you have bought it there will be a jump of depreciation as no-one will pay you the brand new cost for a month old cylinder.

To work out depreciation properly you would have to account for day 1 depreciation, and should calculate different depreciations before and after test dates. In theory an untested cylinders value is only lower by the test fee needed, but the buyer is then at risk of the cylinder failing.

This post has been edited by Tommikka: 01 December 2010 - 12:17 PM

#3 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:37 PM

How old? If it's still in it's first hydro it's typically around 20-40% less than new, depending on how far into it. If hydro is up you can expect less than half of what you paid, if you had it rehydroed then around 40% less.

As an example: a brand new 68/45 may cost you around $160, maybe more/less depending on sales & shipping deals. In it's first year you may still get close to $150 for it. Years 2-4 you're likely to get $100-125. When hydro is up you might get around $80, w/ a fresh rehydro then maybe $110. After you rehydro it the first time, it's kinda like starting the scale all over again, only instead of starting at the brand new price of $160, you start at the $110 mark. All of those prices though include shipping so the loss would be a bit more.

Depending on the condition/brand of the tank & reg you could see $10 +/- on some of those numbers. That's just basically been my observation/experience recently. About 18 months ago I picked up a Carelton tank / Crossfire reg w/ a year left on it's first hydro for like $75 including shipping. Every once in a while there's the awesome deal that comes along on a month old 45/45 PE for $70 shipped because the guy just needs fast cash, but those last 5 minutes on a forum & certainly aren't the norm.

EDIT: nice math work Tom... rep4u.

This post has been edited by ger: 01 December 2010 - 12:40 PM

ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#4 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:15 PM

Hmm...well going by your numbers and going by percent, if this tank's original value was $300 (may have been $400...?) then I would expect approximately $190. (63% value)

It is from January, 2004...and I hydrotested it in October because I thought I'd use it (ended up getting a Ninja because it was possible to get a higher output with a custom reg).

It's a "70/4500 Worrgas Adjustable Tank" --> found a place that still has a couple you can "bid" on.
http://www.directpai...tems-P6397.aspx

They list it at $300 or $400 for a new one (aren't made anymore).

Seeing as Ninja tanks are adjustable I doubt I could get someone to pay more for this than for a new Ninja.

Thoughts? I made an appraisal thread on this earlier, but nobody had any idea. Mine needs a new fill nipple and a macroline/remote line piece to hookup to marker.

#5 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:33 PM

$50-$75 Canadian if out of hydro. Nobody wants the old regs anymore.

#6 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

Oh... way to throw a wrench into the equation c, lol.

That tank/reg combo is an exception to the rule, sort of. I don't have much experience w/ those or their doppelganger from smart parts - or the newer Maxflo micros, but I don't think the brand new price was anywhere near $400 back then. Also you are right, there are many more adjustable regulators available now which means collectors may be more interested in this older item than the common buyer, but hard to tell.

Probably less than $100 shipped, only because you just rehydroed it.

EDIT: slink is faster

This post has been edited by ger: 01 December 2010 - 01:48 PM

ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#7 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

Yeah, that's what I figured - thought I might try Kijiji or something instead of dealing with the hassle of shipping :P thanks guys!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users