• You cannot reply to this topic

Military Personal Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   evillepaintball 

• You won't do it! You ain't crazy!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:sunshine ac-05

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

My last day as a civilian happens to be Cinco de Mayo. Definitely cause for celebration.
"it just doesnt look cool unless you're riding a yamazuki zx1200rrr" - C9H13NO3

#17 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:36 PM

Civil Air Patrol is the non-combatant auxiliary of the Air Force. JROTC teaches military customs and courtesies, and leadership. We do that too, but we also teach Aerospace Education to our cadets, plus they participate in our biggest mission: Emergency Services.

Our ES role was our first one. Just a week before Pearl Harbor, CAP was started as a civilian volunteer coastal patrol organization that was used to recon and report German U-Boats. Which was done quite well, according to one u-boat captain. A few of our guys even carried torpedoes, and are credited with sinking three subs.

Since then we've become the largest in-land Search and Rescue organization in the country. We do some missing persons, etc, but we mostly do lost aircraft, and manage to save an average 100 lives per year. Some of our biggest missions have included the downed A-10 in Colorado, JFK Jr's crash, and that famous rich guy (I forget his name) who crashed somewhere southwest.

Growing steadily over the last decade or so has been our involvement with Disaster Relief, Airborne Drug Recon, and Homeland Security. Our airplanes were the only non-military aircraft in the air on 9/12/2001. Some of our guys from the NY wing flew over Ground Zero and took pictures so the guys on the ground could get some idea of what the overall thing looked like. Our guys flew thousands of hours in support of the recon for the gulf oil spill last spring.

We do all kinds of stuff. One of the craziest things we do is play bad guy for the F-16s. Our guys play target for intercept missions for practice for Homeland Security missions.

Personally, I am a ground pounder. If an airplane crashes, my job is to work with an aircrew and find it. Once we do find it, we take charge of the crash scene until NTSB shows up. We also do all kids of Red Cross missions, communications stuff....it just goes on and on.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#18 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:31 PM

Ship, that sounds interesting haha, haven't been knocked out by another person (almost though lol).
Thanks for the info.

Oh, and I am WELL aware that OC is going to suck soooo bad...

#19 User is offline   shadow_772 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:32 PM

Oh, and I am the guy that keeps missiles away from that multi-million dollar rust bucket :D

#20 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

View PostI.K.E., on 05 May 2011 - 05:36 PM, said:

Civil Air Patrol is...

Dude that sounds sick! Keep up the good work IKE!

View Postshadow_772, on 05 May 2011 - 06:31 PM, said:

Ship, that sounds interesting haha, haven't been knocked out by another person (almost though lol).
Thanks for the info.

Oh, and I am WELL aware that OC is going to suck soooo bad...

Are you really sir? Are you really? Hahaha! Word to the wise, when you're trying to shower that stuff off (which by the way, won't work... but you should still try) make sure to wear some sort of swim shorts... or the OC will get "fun" in "amazing" new places and ways :P

It will "reflash" for several days when the affected area comes in contact with water. Which is great if you're running fire drills the next day in the middle of a hot humid VA summer drenched in sweat wearing full fire fighting gear inside of a mask that blocks you from applying anything that might provide temporary relief to your face. Good times... good times...

It's not an impact based knock out. That can cause councussion and other injuries which are not conducive to the training cycle haha! It's a certain spot that you hit in a certain way, lights out with minimal damage. They only go 30% in training but it still knocks you out though. First they demonstrate to you, then they demonstrate on you. I guess the idea is that if you know how it feels to be on the wrong end of the techniques you will use them more responsibly yourself...

View Postshadow_772, on 05 May 2011 - 06:32 PM, said:

Oh, and I am the guy that keeps missiles away from that multi-million dollar rust bucket :D

Or you will be when you make fleet :P So you're the guy that's going to be doing the maintenance on the CIWS (Phalanx Gun) and Super Chaff? Sounds great, as for ours: the phalanx gun had a tendency to break down and fling gears further than we thought it could bullets, and epicly failed to hit a large barrel floating in the water a few meters out during test fire: OS1 to Combat Information Center regarding afore mentioned incident, "Uhhh... maybe it's one of those new stealth barrels."
Combat Systems Officer in response, "Get out."

Mwahahaha! Watch out for those stealth barrels out there, they'll sneak up and get'cha!

Ah yes, and the super chaff that launches only to crash into the radar array, effectively blinding the ship AND failing to perform is basic decoy funtions! Welcome to the Fleet, Seaman Shadow! Be very afraid!

This is all true, but seriously don't worry, it'll be alright. And at the very least, if it turns out not to be, you probably won't have a chance to realize it...

My number one piece of advice to you is keep a Navy Quote Log so you can share your own gems of wisdom like these with the next guy! And even if it seems stupid and pointless (which it often times will), follow your orders. This will pay off in the end because as they say, "You can't stop the stupid, you can only slow it down..."

Because it's more combat oriented VBSS will be way more legit than your day to day job on the ship so there will be relief from the grind, and it will all be worth it if you play your cards right...
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#21 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:45 PM

Passin down the knowledge eh Ship?

CAP is cool....paid my way to England for 2 weeks......But I guess I've paid it back......15 years worth. Dang....been in it almost 1/2 my life.

Should check it out some time.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123

#22 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:55 PM

View PostI.K.E., on 05 May 2011 - 08:45 PM, said:

CAP is cool....paid my way to England for 2 weeks......But I guess I've paid it back......15 years worth. Dang....been in it almost 1/2 my life.

One little piece at a time, starting with the funniest. Although I guess it's kind of a dark sense of humor...

That is some serious business! The only thing I've done for 15 years in my life is masturbate!
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#23 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:36 PM

View Postevillepaintball, on 05 May 2011 - 05:35 PM, said:

My last day as a civilian happens to be Cinco de Mayo. Definitely cause for celebration.

Theoretically speaking, we'll see how your commission turns out hahaha! Just kidding!

Party while you can budy! You'll be busy projecting an air of military professionalism next year! At least while the boss is looking, watch out for those facebook pics, they're just like those damn stealth barrels!
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#24 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

Ok I'm tying to come up with something usefull for you besides the twisted experiences I had on my boat.

So let's see, you want to go to Norfolk VA and serve on a ship. Ok, here we go:

After a few underways, duty days and/or an inspection cycle you will probably not relish the idea of living on the ship. Let's face it, it's just not comfortable, it's not designed to be. Not to mention the complications of living where you work, with your boss always a stone's throw away. A lot of bosses have a policy of "Onboard = on duty" which is great if you're a cpo with a house out in town, or a second class po with an apt. But as you can imagine, this doesn't work out so well for new guys like yourself who live onboard.

So you're probably, like many new sailors, going to be severely tempted to go out and rent an apt with a couple of your best friends. That seems great, at first it's pretty much a non-stop party for the first few months. But in my experience, which is extensive, the appeal wears thin quickly and you all wind up severely annoyed with each other. It's one thing to live with people on the boat where berthing spaces are strictly regulated (and that's what kind of sucks about them) but at the same time, sharing an apt with just a few people and no rules, all of their bad habits will come out and drive you out of your mind. And as much as you think you're "normal", they'll be feeling the same way about you. Plus when you finally get out of the lease after six months, you'll have not a dime or a possession to show for all the money you blew on rent, it will feel like a massive waste. Oh yeah, and you'll accumulate way too much junk to ever fit back into your living space on the boat.

So as far as getting to your permanent duty station, my advice to you is, resist that temptation to strike out on your own (with your friends). Instead stay on the ship, deal with the downsides of that, take it all in stride. It's going to suck at first but you will save up so much moolah it will be ridiculous. That'll be great if you don't have a car yet, 'cause having a place to stay out in town and no reliable way to get there is no way to be, and unless you have a car of your own: you don't have a reliable way to get there. Wait until you make a few paygrades to strike out on your own, so you can actually strike out on your own!

Lets see we've covered living. What else did you ask about? Small ships?

Well, they don't call 'em tin cans for nothin'! Take your dramamine! There will be times when you're literally walking on the walls so even if you don't get sea sick: you WILL get sea sick. And no you can't take the day off because it feels like your brain is in your stomach... being digested.

So there's some slightly more practical advice for you. That's all for today, more later. Seriously though, keep a Navy qoute log, it will come in handy if you ever want to explain to a civilian what the Navy is like. They won't get it, but it will give them idea. Then again you may not want to show it to them haha!
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#25 User is offline   shadow_772 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:41 PM

I have been a "training command hero" for about a year now, so I have heard many similar stories. My 1st class and a 2nd couldn't stop talking about how bad OC was for a couple days sooo haha....

Can't wait lol. (I suppose).

#26 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:53 PM

View PostShipwreck!, on 05 May 2011 - 10:55 PM, said:

View PostI.K.E., on 05 May 2011 - 08:45 PM, said:

One little piece at a time, starting with the funniest. Although I guess it's kind of a dark sense of humor...

That is some serious business! The only thing I've done for 15 years in my life is masturbate!

Fifteen years? Continuously? I'd think you'd worn it down to the nub by now....Plus it would make work, or life in public altogether, somewhat difficult... :dodgy: :P :laugh:

#27 User is offline   evillepaintball 

• You won't do it! You ain't crazy!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:sunshine ac-05

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

I am now a 2LT in the world's finest Army
"it just doesnt look cool unless you're riding a yamazuki zx1200rrr" - C9H13NO3

#28 User is offline   Hell Rider 

• Hell Rider
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Hell Rider

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

Im in the Air Force an im stationed in Italy right now. My job is security forces.

#29 User is offline   SKC 

• So Others May Live.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SKC 1.5

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:28 AM

I'm an AW3 AIRR stationed in Italy. Fun Stuff.
I proudly endorse:
Bob Long Markers - Empire Loaders and Apparel- Hybrid Apparel - Ninja Air Systems - VForce Masks

U.S. Navy AIRR

#30 User is offline   XziviT 

• Mess with the Best Die like the Rest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:XziviT

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:20 PM

View Postevillepaintball, on 07 May 2011 - 02:25 PM, said:

I am now a 2LT in the world's finest Army

Congratulations on your commission! Hope you have a great time in the military.

I just graduated from the Marine Military Academy based at Harlngen TX. I finished as a C/Maj. Company Commander. Ill be doing ROTC in college, my MOS will be aviation, hopefully fighters in the Marine Corps.

-X
Posted Image
Yo pertenesco al Guerrero que de lo Antiguo se fuciona a lo Nuevo. Maj. X, Callsign: Matrix
As I walk through the Valley of Shadow of Death, I shall fear no Evil, for I am the meanest Creature in the Valley. Gen. Patton

Share this topic:

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users