Special Ops Paintball: Halo Too first impressions! - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1

Halo Too first impressions! Haven't used it yet, just some info Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

My Ricochet AK has served me well for the past couple years, but after a hit it took the other day, it honestly looked like it was about to explode. I was in the market for a new hopper but didn't want to drop $150 on a Rotor or whatever, since I do minimal shooting anyway, but use a force fed loader for those "oh poo" moments.

I quickly decided on Invert's Halo Too hopper, which is $60 at Action Village, but while researching it, information was minimal, so I decided to post this, just in case anyone needs info on it.

I haven't actually shot paint through it (I will review it after this upcoming Wednesday in full after I have played with it), but I do have some comments as far as design, construction, balance, etc. go.

Firstly, a lot of people seem to think that Invert was cutting corners to lower the price tag. From a construction stand point, everything checks out. It is made of a some-what rough feeling plastic that is thick as hell. Even without batteries and paint, it has a decent weight to it -- it's quite heavy. Again, the plastic is thick and very durable feeling. With paint and batteries, it almost feels like it would explode if dropped on concrete. So buy a good feedneck.

The screws are screwing into metal nuts, not plastic. I thought that was important, especially for a "cheap" hopper. As for the rest of the construction, the feedneck is VERY thick and very fat. I can't actually fit it into my Cyborg's feedneck, but it fits my Automag's feedneck (which is an AKA one) like a glove. However, I think all Halo models have big feednecks. The battery compartment is in the front, which is BOINKing stupid, but that's the Halo design -- not Invert's fault.

Speaking of batteries though, it takes four AAs. I knew this buying it, but it is a little silly. I have spare 9vs for my gun, my chrono, and my old hopper. Now I need to carry around spare AAs as well. Lame! Although 4 AAs weigh a bit, it is back heavy both with and without paint.

As for the profile, it's just like your average Halo. It sits pretty low though, I was quite surprised as to how low it really does sit.

Because of the weight (paint + batteries), I found it to balance very poorly on my Tac-One. In fact, I don't know if I could actually use it on that marker. It feels as though the hopper's weight dictates where the marker is moving to, which is very annoying. I would assume the Tac-One feels like your average spoolie, so I'd be a little hesitant if that's what you roll with.

As for my Borg, I thought it felt great. As mentioned, I couldn't actually clamp the feedneck down on the hopper (my Borg has an aftermarket feedneck, no idea what it is) but when loaded with paint and batteries, it balanced nice and felt great. It is still a little heavy but nothing unbearable. In fact I love the way it feels. Very nice, and the big Halo butt covers my bolt nicely to protect it from the elements.

The other major problem I have with the hopper is the lid. The lid has this two-stage half-butt bull poo going on, where you can close it, and it will click, but you can slap the hopper (or get hit with a paintball) to pop the lid back open. You have to press it down EVENLY and FIRMLY to actually close it, which the hopper will acknowledge with a louder, more confident click. That bad part about this is though, is that if it's "halfway" closed, you have to open it an re-close it if you want it to shut properly.

While that isn't a very big deal, I don't want to have to worry about my hopper's lid closing correctly when I'm podding up in the middle of a firefight or whatever.

That's about it. This isn't so much a review as it is some basic info on a newer product. I'll actually review it on Wednesday after a day's worth of play, since there's so little info on it.

This post has been edited by StealingYerMail: 17 July 2009 - 12:34 PM

Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#2 User is offline   WeltCollector 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:WeltCollector

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:56 PM

View PostStealingYerMail, on Jul 17 2009, 01:30 PM, said:

Firstly, a lot of people seem to think that Invert was cutting corners to lower the price tag. From a construction stand point, everything checks out. It is made of a some-what rough feeling plastic that is thick as hell. Even without batteries and paint, it has a decent weight to it -- it's quite heavy. Again, the plastic is thick and very durable feeling. With paint and batteries, it almost feels like it would explode if dropped on concrete. So buy a good feedneck.

This is the same hopper, it just can't compete at $100. The cost of making the hopper isn't that much and they don't have to pay for the new technology. Lowering the markup keeps the halo a money maker since not everyone is willing to pay $150 for a loader.

Speaking of batteries though, it takes four AAs. I knew this buying it, but it is a little silly. I have spare 9vs for my gun, my chrono, and my old hopper. Now I need to carry around spare AAs as well. Lame! Although 4 AAs weigh a bit, it is back heavy both with and without paint.

The weight problem is solved totally by using lithium batteries. They are more expensive but last a lot longer.

The other major problem I have with the hopper is the lid. The lid has this two-stage half-butt bull poo going on, where you can close it, and it will click, but you can slap the hopper (or get hit with a paintball) to pop the lid back open. You have to press it down EVENLY and FIRMLY to actually close it, which the hopper will acknowledge with a louder, more confident click. That bad part about this is though, is that if it's "halfway" closed, you have to open it an re-close it if you want it to shut properly.

This has not been a problem over the years that this design has been used at every level of play.

<a href="http://www.pickuppaintball.tk" target="_blank">Pickup Paintball</a>

<a href="http://www.paintballpics.us" target="_blank">Tourney Pics</a>

#3 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:19 PM

The lid being a problem or not, it's annoying. My Ricochet doesn't have anything like that going on with the lid. It is either closed or it isn't. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I'm just saying.
Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#4 User is offline   WeltCollector 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:WeltCollector

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:39 PM

View PostStealingYerMail, on Jul 17 2009, 04:19 PM, said:

The lid being a problem or not, it's annoying. My Ricochet doesn't have anything like that going on with the lid. It is either closed or it isn't. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I'm just saying.

I understand, I have replaced all my lids with Virtue Crowns.
<a href="http://www.pickuppaintball.tk" target="_blank">Pickup Paintball</a>

<a href="http://www.paintballpics.us" target="_blank">Tourney Pics</a>

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users