Now, the Rules:
1. No criticizing or flaming someone's choice of service (or their job within that service). Keep inter-service and inter-division rivalry OUT of this!
2. Keep on topic. Non-military-related posts will be deleted and, if necessary, the poster Warned.
3. Treat others with RESPECT. Military service involves major sacrifice, and when talking to anyone who's served, you would do well to remember that sacrifice.
Here is some good general info from Meline-
These ranks are the "give me ranks" as you can do nothing and as long as you don't get yourself flagged for a PT, Hight/weight failure or an article 15 you will get promoted.
Ways to excell-
1. PT, the better you do the better off you are.
2. Weapons qual. Keep your eyes and ears open for weapons classes and volunteer for as many as you can.
3. Corespondance courses- Goto https://www.aimsrdl....ed/accp_top.htm and start taking them they are worth promotion points.
4. Combat Lifesaver Course- Good to have and worth points.
5. Soldier of the month boards. Shows you want to excell and good experience for the E5 board.
6. Seek extra responcablities
7. Once you get the hang of what is going on (E3-E4) start taking charge. You know what needs to be done, take charge on your own and get the guys moving to get it done before you have to be told.
8. Univerisity of Pheonix college classes if you have time.
Rank E4(p) and above.
This is where things get harder. In order to move up you are competing for points against everyone else in teh Army who is in that MOS.
Ways to excell-
1. PT, you need to max or score a 290+ for an excell on your NCOER.
2. Corespondance courses again, 80+ credit hours will usually give you an excell on your NCOER.
3. Performance and Event Counseling statements. If you do something above and beyond or really good make sure you get it documented.
4. MAKE SURE your 4100 and NCOER reflects your points and YOU. If your NCOER sucks talk to your rater or Senior rater!! Your NCOER reflects you, you can be teh highest speed soldier alive but if your NCOER sucks that is what people see and you'll loose points. Remember the bullet comments on your NCOER have to be supportable, so if you did things that aren't documented they don't count. So have documentation.
5. Lead by Example!! Always!! No if, ands, or buts. Your troops will fallow your example so make damn sure its a good example.
6. Leadership advice- Never make threats you are not willing to carry out. Never play favorites. Look out for your troops and they will look out for you. Never slack on counselling your guys or puttng them in for awards.
7. Sergeantâ€™s Time/ Opportunity training- Plan for it in advance. This is your time, make the most of it. Don't make your guys suffer "Busy work" baecause you didn't plan for down time.
8. NCO boards.
This post has been edited by Teddy K: 12 November 2007 - 09:14 PM