• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

FPO vs BYOP Ever thought about it? Rate Topic: -----

#46 User is offline   Zach_attack 

• Pimp slap
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Location:On the tail on the frog on the bump on the branch on the log in the hole in the bottom of the sea.

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:55 AM

Field I play at isn't neccesarily BYOP or FPO, it's "if we see you with crappy walmart paint we will tell you dont use it so we dont get hit in the head with rocks". The paint is a reasonable price/consistent quality so I dont mind paying the $15 a bag especially considering the lack of a proshop around here, I dont wanna risk ordering paint online only to get a broken bag causing me to lose more money than I ever saved if I would have bought from my field.

10 dollars field and air
15 a bag for the normal paint
20 a bag if he has "special" paint in(tourney paint)

Id say thats all pretty fair considering the insane generosity he has when ordering products in for you.

#47 User is offline   Woodbender 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Woodbender

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:57 PM

View Postaslanprime, on 23 April 2011 - 01:55 AM, said:

There's no FPO field you can play at for $25. Even if you get a $10 entry and 500 rounds, that's $20 MINIMUM. Now, if you can play 8 games and only use 500 rounds...more power to ya. But that's roughly 30% of a hopper per game. I usually use up that much at the chrono station.

I don't pay entry fees, just paint costs due to a lifetime membership I purchased three years ago. I can't remember what the price per case is at Realms anymore since I haven't bought paint outside of an event from them in over a year. Playing two events a year means I buy two cases and seldom need anymore for the rest of the year. I think it used to be $60.00 for a member. If I'm not playing an event I'll buy a case at the beginning of the year and play with my pumps or pistol until I think the paint is getting old. At that point I break out the RT-Pro and try to burn through the remaining 1000-1500 rounds in a day. Usually I can't use more than a 1000 within 8 hours though during a walk-on game. It just doesn't require a lot of paint to suppress the relatively inexperienced players that tend to show up for weekend play. Also, I am very aggressive in my playing style so either I'm eliminated before I shoot off much paint or I eliminate my opponents with a few dozen shots. The easiest way to reduce paint costs and have more fun is to move faster, get closer and avoid long-balling contests.

A normal day (10-12 games) of pump play usually costs me around 100 rounds of paint for stock class and 250 for open class. Stock class can get pricey in 12 grams though. A normal day of semi-auto uses about 500 rounds. A trigger happy semi-auto day requires around 1000.

One case of paint spread out over 3-4 days comes to less than $20.00 a day.

In the end, it's necessary to develop a playing style that fits the budget. I don't play like a backman because I could never afford that. I can afford to play a couple times a month if I play with a pump or use a combination of frontman and ambush sniper tactics with the semi.

This post has been edited by Woodbender: 23 April 2011 - 06:11 PM

#48 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ASLANPRIME

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:59 AM

View PostWoodbender, on 23 April 2011 - 08:57 PM, said:

In the end, it's necessary to develop a playing style that fits the budget. I don't play like a backman because I could never afford that. I can afford to play a couple times a month if I play with a pump or use a combination of frontman and ambush sniper tactics with the semi.

And that's a perfect example of why high paint costs are sort of "strangling" the hobby. It's actually forcing players to change their style and how much fun they have. I realize there are guys out there that LOVE playing pump, don't get me wrong, but there are also guys out there that would say they would love to sling paint with a full auto Phenom but can't afford it so they play pump a couple times a month.

I can only talk from my experience. I have pumps, I plan on doing a pump event later this year. And if it were up to me, and it were even remotely possible, I'd turn back the clock and we'd ALL be playing pumps. BUT...in this day and age, using a pump on a field agaisnt A5s, Phenoms, Minis, and Egos is just a disadvantage. You might be the best snap shooter on the planet. But if I know you got a pump...I can pretty much start firing and walk up to you and shoot you. I just gotta time it so I don't run out of paint before I get to you.

I played pump ONCE because I was almost out of paint and couldn't afford to buy another case. Some guys organized an outback game and I decided to go and "just play pump". It was the worst day of paintball I've ever experienced. Other than the one time playing Outlaw where I got there and the cops showed up and made us leave. But yeah, I played pump all day. Got 2 kills. Spent most of the day crawling around in the weeds. If I could hit the guy on the first shot, and the ball breaks, I was golden. If not, I was lit up.

I do agree with you about the longballing thing. I've been to events where I've used over two cases and only got 10-12 kills. Then two weekends ago I used 1 case and got over 20. The difference? I actually was on the front line, not sitting back and just throwing paint around. But no, I don't have any desire to play pump/pistol. Most guys I've seen use those just hang back...try to get a lucky shot in. Or they just go balls out and try to capture the flag or something, usually getting lit up in the process. I don't see how that style of play is fun. Now...if EVERYONE is using pumps...THAT'S a different story.
Proto Matrix PM5, Toxic trigger, Shocktech clamping feedneck, Virtue Board, CP On/Off, Dye Dm4 Sticky Grips, 12" Long Shot barrel
Automaggot #26 MY WEBPAGE MY FEEDBACK GUNS FOR SALE MY BRIGADE PAGE CHEAPEST PAINTBALLS ONLINE

#49 User is offline   Woodbender 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Woodbender

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:25 PM

High paint costs really aren't the problem as the old timers will inform all of us that paint prices have been gradually dropping over the years (apparently it used to be close to $180.00 a case retail). I actually expect the prices to drop even more as Hydrotec starts to gain popularity as I've just noticed on the webpage of my FPO field of choice that a case of paint is down $10.00 to $50.00 for a member. It's the move towards fast shooting guns and themed fields that makes the sport more costly for those that choose to partake in such. Players that wish to take advantage of new, high bps technology will simply have to pay a lot of money to do so. I still contend though, that unless you're playing with organized teams or very skilled players anything over 3-4 bps is overkill. Higher rates of fire are only useful for suppression tactics and only good teamwork makes for efficient use of suppression.

I use pumps both as a training tool and because I do find it fun to be outgunned. Since I do play pump I have much better fire control when playing semi. That's why I said earlier that it's very hard for me to use over 1500 rounds in a day even when playing an event with the RT-Pro.

As a side note, it's a mistake to use firepower to compensate for poor tactics so I don't recommend trying to walk up to a pump player's bunker and expect firepower to win (poor tactics). That just makes people easy targets and I usually eliminate anyone that comes straight at me (unless they have supporting team mates and I don't). The best way to eliminate a pump player is still the tried and true flanking movement. With a semi I can occasionally shoot my way out of a very bad situation. When I have a pump I usually lose the firefight as soon as I've lost the positional advantage. Admittedly the "walk up while shooting" tactic does work very well against inexperienced players but that's only because they haven't learned how to maintain awareness the opponent's positions.

This post has been edited by Woodbender: 26 April 2011 - 06:26 PM

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users