• You cannot reply to this topic

Training of a Broadsword From the start to finish Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   platinum marksman 

• paintballer
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:platinum marksman

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:02 PM

I've noticed that the forum is sadly lacking a on broadsword info. The hope of this topic is to get a guide for new broadswords and their commanders. I'm looking for any tips, tricks, skills, and basics. Give me info on the style, personality, and mental training of a broadsword. I honestly don't have alot of experience with this position and want to learn more to better be able to train and help my team.
I would like to learn about the steps of a broadswords training. From when you buy your marker, to when you can effectively call yourself an efficent broadsword. I'm looking to compile some articles about the broadsword. So any of those would help too. I'm familiar with what SpecOps has wrote about the position, but I want to take it a step furhter and get some details. I'm looking for replys from experienced broadswords as well as newer ones with experiences and new tricks they've learned.
My broadsword is new to the position and I've noticed how much I really don't know about the positon. So I am unable to effectly guide him in figuring out his position and how to mix him into the team. I hope this thread will fix this.

Thanks,
Platinum Marksman-Commander of Team Crossbow

Lead, and if necessary, use words.

#2 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:09 PM

A broadswrod needs to be able to lay down suppressing fire so that his team mates can move on the field. He doesn't necessarily need to be pin point accurate but he needs be able to keep the OPFOR's head down.
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#3 User is offline   Wimpy 

• I make stuff up... don't listen.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Wimpy

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:15 PM

Tell him to play paintball for a weekend. Then play paintball another weekend. Tell him to play paintball until he forgets about being called a Broadsword. Then he'll be a kick-butt broadsword. Threads don't fix. Playing paintball fixes.

This post has been edited by Wimpy: 28 February 2008 - 07:16 PM

#4 User is offline   KILLSWITCH 

• OSF
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:K1LLSWITCH

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:25 PM

first of all what knightwolf said he definitely needs to invest in a vest that holds alot of paint the one i use holds 1400rds an i have a belt to hold and extra 20oz co2 tank just in case cant refill. I know that the spec ops says he doesnt need to be fit but i would say thats only for defense so i would say that a broadsword should be in fairly good shape i dont know about you but i dont always play capture the flag its mostly one team goes and hides the other assaults with all the gear he needs to be able to move around pretty good but other than that the only thing that comes to mind is $$$$$$$$$ paint and air rack up

This post has been edited by *MA DUCE*: 28 February 2008 - 07:27 PM

#5 User is offline   platinum marksman 

• paintballer
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:31 PM

Money won't be a problem. He's been saving for awhile. Yes I understand all this. Thank you.
Ok so...gear that fits his needs. We can work that...
In my defense, the proper balance of experience and knowledge fixes. You need the experience to apply the drills, but you need the knowledge to know when to apply them. I'm hoping this thread will help in the knowledge part.

#6 User is offline   Wimpy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:46 PM

Negative... this kid needs to play paintball, not spend money on gear that, IMHO is really not necessary. You don't need 1,400 rounds on you at any given time, seriously. If you do, maybe you should get some more target practice. If you guys want to go buy stuff, go for it. If you want to get better at paintball, play paintball.

#7 User is offline   platinum marksman 

• paintballer
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:55 PM

I get what your saying! Yes we do play. We also have weekly practices, so we are getting expeirence. Experience is not what I'm worried about. Its giving my teammates the right advice when they need it. Any advice is welcome. Thank you Wimpy for that. Anything else you would like to add?

#8 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:00 PM

A broadsword is a heavy rifleman meaning that thay can lay down some serious paint, minus carrying a double trouble..........
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#9 User is offline   platinum marksman 

• paintballer
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:21 PM

Ok...lets move onto the finer points of this craft...how about some basic skills. Please don't anyone say lay cover fire again....give me something I can use.

#10 User is offline   Wimpy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:25 PM

Here's what I think. If you guys play alot, then cool. In that case, get your man to practice quick, blind reloads. That's helpful, but even better, get him to practice calling out plays. Of course, at times you guys'll be going for stealth. But when it hits the fan, your boy needs to be able to scream out to his team what he sees and what he needs to do. "Back left is hot, 3 right 3 right, back left on me!" etc.

#11 User is offline   platinum marksman 

• paintballer
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:41 PM

View PostWimpy, on Feb 28 2008, 08:25 PM, said:

Here's what I think. If you guys play alot, then cool. In that case, get your man to practice quick, blind reloads. That's helpful, but even better, get him to practice calling out plays. Of course, at times you guys'll be going for stealth. But when it hits the fan, your boy needs to be able to scream out to his team what he sees and what he needs to do. "Back left is hot, 3 right 3 right, back left on me!" etc.

Thanks man...thats more of what I'm looking for. Thank you for the basics as well. I'll compile those as well. Thanks again guys.

#12 User is offline   Wimpy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:47 PM

It's wierd how many people have a hard time just letting go and yelling on the field. I don't mean yelling in a bad way, but yelling to let people know what you see. Your man will also have to be able to improvise to fit the way the game is changing. He's going to have to let you guys know how the plan has changed:

"No battle plan survives contact with the enemy"
-C. Powell

This post has been edited by Wimpy: 28 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

#13 User is offline   KILLSWITCH 

• OSF
  • PipPip

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:33 PM

View PostWimpy, on Feb 28 2008, 08:46 PM, said:

Negative... this kid needs to play paintball, not spend money on gear that, IMHO is really not necessary. You don't need 1,400 rounds on you at any given time, seriously. If you do, maybe you should get some more target practice. If you guys want to go buy stuff, go for it. If you want to get better at paintball, play paintball.

i dont carry to eliminate i carry to cover just because i carry that much doesnt mean i use it all, but i agree with the other things you said you shouldnt have a problem yelling on the field especially if it saves your team from getting shot up

"When you need it, and don't have it... you sing a different tune."
Burt from the movie Tremors

This post has been edited by *MA DUCE*: 03 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

#14 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sheriff_Matt

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:52 PM

View Post*MA DUCE*, on Mar 1 2008, 07:33 PM, said:

"When you need it, and don't have it... you sing a different tune."
Burt from the movie Tremors

I always did love that line.

Communication is the key to any successful team. You need to make sure your whole team knows how to communicate. Most of the time, using as few words as possible is going to work out for the best. So make sure you have a proper protocol for your communications. When you practice, practice in your full gear load-out. As the old saying goes, you want to "practice how you play".

As a broadsword the biggest obstacle to overcome is knowing when to fire and when to hold off. I see a lot of new players that think they're doing a whole lot of good by wasting 4 pods per game when they haven't done a single thing to help out the team. Train your teammates to conserve ammo, and how to use EFFECTIVE cover fire. It doesn't take a whole lot of paint to keep peoples heads down, as long as you know where to put it. You have to put yourself in the oppositions shoes and ask yourself, "What would make me keep my head down?". There have been a number of times where somebody was "covering" me when 95% of their fire was nowhere near getting close to me. All I had to do was pop out while they were standing in the open, unloading all their paint on me, and fire off a couple of shots.

The whole thing about the specops positions is starting to wear a little thin in my books. Everyone on the team should be equally well rounded, able to fill in where there is a need. Call it what you want, but if you want to train your teammates in how to play the best in their position, simply teach them the basics of paintball, and how to improve upon that. If you need cover fire, team him how to keep peoples heads down while only using a few shots. You may even think about LIMITING his gear loadout for a while. Only give him a hopper full. See how quick he learns to be accurate and effective over wasteful and trigger happy.

This post has been edited by Sheriff Matt: 03 March 2008 - 09:53 PM

#15 User is offline   KILLSWITCH 

• OSF
  • PipPip

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:49 AM

Side note effective cover fire would not just spray and pray and dont just shoot the OPFORS cover, shoot next to them over their head on their cover dont just consitantly shoot in the same position switch it up and dont constantly shoot stop and give them a chance to look and then try to take em out not just keep heads down you help your team out just as much, they can move alot easier by eliminating a player than just keeping him down.

This post has been edited by *MA DUCE*: 04 March 2008 - 10:51 AM

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users