Special Ops Paintball: A somewhat New guy with a lot of questions - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A somewhat New guy with a lot of questions Nothing in particular...But I need help Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   IRA_Marksman14 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:FOOL_1

Post icon  Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:24 PM

Recently, I purchased a paintball marker (Alpha Black, smart investment) and all the equipment. But now I have a few questions...

1. A question I have had since I bought my gun was about moding my gun
-My gun looks great, but it needs a slightly longer barrel for realism and accuracy. I want to know what the diameter of the stock barrel is (Somebody answered 11in, that's the length). I am a newbie and I dont know how to take off the shroud so I want a 14in barrel that fits in the shroud withut removing it because Im scared to take it off.
-Also, when I bought me gun, a few weeks later, I the Project Salvo came out. Some of the accessories are a MUST for me (for example, the folding stock, the 4-rail AR-15 style shroud, and the smaller magazine for an AWESOME cool look, dont judge) Now, the shroud is a must because all the other AR-15 style shrouds I found were around $100, which is somewhat out of my price range. So, I need to find a place that either sells Project Salvo spare parts so I can get these parts or a cheaper Ar-15 shroud and get the other magazine.

2. Tippmann 98 custom mods, do 98c shrouds work on the gun with no problems or do I need to take apart the gun to put it on?

3. Tippmann 98 custom stocks, I heard some places the stock was different and it required knowledge of the inside of the gun...I need a stock with the same insert as my gun because, as you can assume, I have no knowledge of the inside of the gun.

4. is a sniper barrel worth the money?

thanks in advance,
IRA_Markman
ps:Can you tell I'm Irish? LOL :D :D
"We ain't making no [god dang] cornflakes here."

Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer."

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.

Now and then I announce "I know you're listening!" to empty rooms. If I'm wrong then no one knows, and if I'm right, Maybe I just freaked the hell out of some secret organization.

#2 User is offline   TheEnd 

• I am the who when you call "Who's there?"
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TheFear07

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:39 PM

1. A question I have had since I bought my gun was about moding my gun
-My gun looks great, but it needs a slightly longer barrel for realism and accuracy. I want to know what the diameter of the stock barrel is (Somebody answered 11in, that's the length). I am a newbie and I dont know how to take off the shroud so I want a 14in barrel that fits in the shroud withut removing it because Im scared to take it off.

Don't know, you should probably just measure it. As far as a longer barrel increasing accuracy, it won't. A good quality barrel, and using quality paint will help your accuracy the most.

-Also, when I bought me gun, a few weeks later, I the Project Salvo came out. Some of the accessories are a MUST for me (for example, the folding stock, the 4-rail AR-15 style shroud, and the smaller magazine for an AWESOME cool look, dont judge) Now, the shroud is a must because all the other AR-15 style shrouds I found were around $100, which is somewhat out of my price range. So, I need to find a place that either sells Project Salvo spare parts so I can get these parts or a cheaper Ar-15 shroud and get the other magazine.

I'm not sure if the Salvo parts will fit, you should probably contact tippmann and ask them.

2. Tippmann 98 custom mods, do 98c shrouds work on the gun with no problems or do I need to take apart the gun to put it on?

I'm fairly certain that a shroud made for a 98 will not fit on another marker.

3. Tippmann 98 custom stocks, I heard some places the stock was different and it required knowledge of the inside of the gun...I need a stock with the same insert as my gun because, as you can assume, I have no knowledge of the inside of the gun.

No idea about this.

4. is a sniper barrel worth the money?

Define sniper barrel. A good barrel will do wonders for your marker. If you are on a budget, then I would recommend a custom products or j and j ceramic barrel. Both are great barrels. I personally like using a 10 to 12 inch barrel.

Welcome to the forums, and welcome to the sport.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.- Emo Philips
I don't drink these days. I'm allergic to alcohol and narcotics. I break out in handcuffs. Robert Downey Junior
Now and then I announce "I know you're listening to empty rooms". If I'm wrong then no one knows, and if I'm right, Maybe I just freaked the hell out of some secret organization.

#3 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:06 PM

erase the word sniper out of your head when referring to gear. not to be a downer but that word is so over used it makes most of us throw up in our throat a little whenever we hear it. any barrel between 12 and 16 inches will do just fine so long as its a decent match for the paint you're using, AND if the paint you're using isnt too oily, out of round or has other defects. a great barrel with crap paint will not be as good as a stock barrel with good paint. as far as the folding stock and other mods, shopping around or ordering from tippmann is the best way. (but tippmann might be pricier).

the problem with trying to retro fit 98c/m parts onto the newer models of tippies is that millimeters can make or break the operation of the marker. some people say that modding a tippmann is the cardinal sin, as i have hear horror stories of malfunction after a new or aftermarket part was added. i on the other hand have had decent luck with most aftermarket parts. just take itslow when adding foreign parts to your marker and pay close attention to how they fit, and how similar or different they are before you even buy them.

welcome to the sport. just remember to clean your marker after every day of play by taking it apart (carefully), wiping out old lube and dirt, and re oiling (lightly).
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#4 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

I suggest becoming well versed in your marker as is,
Check out the Manuel and start pulling out those screws. the more you know about the marker the easier it will be to help maintain and swap parts in and out.
Start with the easy stuff first, simple removing a few parts here and there basic cleaning. once your good with that move a little deeper into the marker.
Most paintball markers are simple enough that you would Really have to do something wrong to screw it up.

good luck with your search! and welcome to the forums. have a nice day

#5 User is offline   jag06 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:jag06

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:14 PM

For barrel I suggest a barrel ki, the best thing about it is at every field and even at the same fild paint size will vary from brnd and case, with a barrel kit you can change your barrel size to match the pant. I have a j&j barrel kit and love it. They can be a bit pricey but if you can afford it itswell worth it.

This post has been edited by jag06: 08 October 2009 - 03:15 PM

My Feedback +7/-0 Gore Family Paintball field
Digitally Dangerous member #3

#6 User is offline   IRA_Marksman14 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:FOOL_1

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:42 PM

View PostIron__Man, on Oct 6 2009, 09:06 PM, said:

erase the word sniper out of your head when referring to gear. not to be a downer but that word is so over used it makes most of us throw up in our throat a little whenever we hear it. any barrel between 12 and 16 inches will do just fine so long as its a decent match for the paint you're using, AND if the paint you're using isnt too oily, out of round or has other defects. a great barrel with crap paint will not be as good as a stock barrel with good paint. as far as the folding stock and other mods, shopping around or ordering from tippmann is the best way. (but tippmann might be pricier).

the problem with trying to retro fit 98c/m parts onto the newer models of tippies is that millimeters can make or break the operation of the marker. some people say that modding a tippmann is the cardinal sin, as i have hear horror stories of malfunction after a new or aftermarket part was added. i on the other hand have had decent luck with most aftermarket parts. just take itslow when adding foreign parts to your marker and pay close attention to how they fit, and how similar or different they are before you even buy them.

welcome to the sport. just remember to clean your marker after every day of play by taking it apart (carefully), wiping out old lube and dirt, and re oiling (lightly).

ok, sniper=bad, got it.

I have looked everywhere...even the Tippmann site and I can't find the stock or shroud I need

I don't know if this changes anything, but I just want to make the gun look nicer, like the stocks and shrouds, nothing insane like new bolts and screws and whatnot.

Also, I clean my gun after every game. :) she's a beatuy
"We ain't making no [god dang] cornflakes here."

Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer."

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.

Now and then I announce "I know you're listening!" to empty rooms. If I'm wrong then no one knows, and if I'm right, Maybe I just freaked the hell out of some secret organization.

#7 User is offline   flyweightnate 

• Closed bolt. Rock n cock, or rock n roll.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:flyweightnate

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:25 PM

Are you a 'form' or 'function' kind of guy? I'm usually not in the Tippmann forums, simply because I shoot slightly more refined stuff usually, but I've been poking around to read up on the SL-68II(2). I saw this, and figured I'd poke my head in.

The single best thing you can do for accuracy is a tight-bore barrel. Go for a Custom Products 12" .685 bore barrel, for $35. It will improve your accuracy noticeably, unless Tippmann barrels are much better than they used to be. As far as getting a stock, I can't help you. Shrouds, the magazine, tactical rails... they won't help your game, and they'll just waste money if you're looking for function.

If you want 'form', call Tippmann. They have a rep for very reasonable customer service, especially if you're looking to buy stuff.

And regarding 'sniper'- don't throw it away entirely. Think of it this way, one shot, one 'kill'. To do that, you need to be patient, move well, and get close (120ft or closer), but it is possible to do. However, don't be expecting to make a shot from past 135ft- it's ballistically impossible to predict, so you'll need to put 5-10 shots downrange.
Feedback.
"Listen to nate hes always right, no joke"- Mighty Mike

#8 User is offline   Minnesota Sn1p3r 

• Back on the Attack!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MN Sn1p3r

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:01 PM

Yeah, "sniper" barrels are not really worth the money, as Iron Man said, dont use the word sniper in paintball.

As for the stock, I do believe that the back of the Alpha is the same as the 98, I would check at your local store or online...
"Its better to out-think your enemy than to out-fight them" - Sun Tzu

"I dont like paying for the same realestate twice" - General George S. Patton

#9 User is offline   Zing 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Zing

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:38 PM

hi
my buddy just got a salvo, the shroud comes off in such away that the gun has to be made for it. so no luck there, sorry.
P.S. his stock broke almost right away, had to ducktape it back on, i don't nkow how often this happens, but be carefull, the peice that broke looks flimsy and easy to brake. That is, if the stock works for the A-Black. i'll check it out this weekend.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users