• You cannot reply to this topic

Painting a phantom That's right, I want to do it myself Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Jonas 

• Woodsball? Sounds fun.
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:H

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:12 AM

Didn't expect to anger so many people...I thought home-painting it would be a cool thing to do. (Is still new to pump). I'll probally end up sending it in to get it anno'd, once I figure out what colors I want to get.
Yeah I use an M-16 grip, wanna fight about it?

Best webcomic ever.

#17 User is offline   mtaylor 

• Lacking Creativity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mtaylor

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:19 PM

Annoing a phantom is a bit of a challenge. Your best bet is to send it in to Mike at CCI for prep work before the anno, then back to him afterwards for re assembly.

Phantoms use steel helicoils that don't react well to being annodized, Mike will remove these for you and put new ones back in after.

<Insert Sig Here>

#18 User is offline   Jonas 

• Woodsball? Sounds fun.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:H

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:04 PM

Doesn't he anno Phantom's himself? I don't think I could go for a month without my Phantom...
Yeah I use an M-16 grip, wanna fight about it?

Best webcomic ever.

#19 User is offline   Sp.Ed 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:20 PM

I dont think Mike physically does it at his shop but he has someone do it for him. Either way if its a simple blue tigerstripe on a black background then I would say duracoat will be the cheapest by far and the easiest since he wont have to mess with the original finish. If you send it in for an anno they will have to strip the whole gun and reanno it from scratch but if you duracoat he only needs to mask and sandblast then apply your stripes and the rest of the finish will remain intact. Talk to bigbone you may find the price to be about what your going to spend and Krylon and sanding material and time......
The opinions and statements expressed on this site are mine alone and are not sanctioned or approved by my Employer. I also assume all legal liability for those statements.

#20 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:59 AM

View PostSped-SR, on Jul 28 2008, 07:20 PM, said:

I dont think Mike physically does it at his shop but he has someone do it for him. Either way if its a simple blue tigerstripe on a black background then I would say duracoat will be the cheapest by far and the easiest since he wont have to mess with the original finish. If you send it in for an anno they will have to strip the whole gun and reanno it from scratch but if you duracoat he only needs to mask and sandblast then apply your stripes and the rest of the finish will remain intact. Talk to bigbone you may find the price to be about what your going to spend and Krylon and sanding material and time......

eh, im not sure about that...
can o' Krylon ~$5
clear coat~ ~$5
masking tape ~$2
sand paper ~$3

total =~$15

#21 User is offline   Keebler 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Keebler

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:58 PM

annoing an already annod phantom is a pain especially since mike doesnt do it himself and the company that does it for him wont do one phantom youd have to order like 20 phantoms to get them to do it. they do annoing for like manufactures not individual buyers and consumers. also the steel parts thing mentioned above makes it a pain. durocoating is great if you have your own air compressor. oh and dont use a normal shop air compressor you gotta have a special one for that. so no durocoating isnt cheap unless you have that stuff already. than you gotta get the the gun and hopper and worry bout your mixes and have the room to do all that yourself. unless your willing to pay someone else to do it than its about as expensive as getting a powdercoat done which is better. but powdercoating like annoing is a pain since it also doesnt react well to certain parts to my knowledge. and like annoing if done repeatedly will reduce the aluminums tolerances and thats bad as well. next thing you know your barrel will wobble in its threads. best thing to do is to get yourself a really high quality can of primer. paint and than a finish coat whether its clear gloss or matte or what have you. and of course some sand paper. dont try to chemically strip the anno cause youl need to give it an acid bath inside your oven for that. also since anno scratches as well maybe not as easily but it does scratch whats the difference paint it with what you want specially if its cheap you can just do it again when it get ugly. you may want to make some stencils as well for the tiger stripe.

This post has been edited by Keebler: 17 February 2010 - 02:58 PM

#22 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:03 PM

This thread is nearly 2 years old. Glad to see you wanting to help but some of your information is wrong.

Can you use a shop compressor for air brushing? Yes you can. There are 2 things to consider though: Does the compressor meet or exceed the requirements for the airbrush and is it an oil-less compressor? IF it doesn't put out enough air at the proper pressure odds are it's not going to work. Oil-less compressors a more expensive but do you really want oil to mess up your work?

Duracoat does sell airbrush kits, the same kind you find in most hobby shops, that come with a spray can of propellant. Depending on how professional of a kit you want will determine the price. A basic kit is about $25.00, full pro kit is $370.00 and doesn't include the paint. Kits that include the paint will vary depending on number of colors. The Advanced Tiger Stripe that they offer http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_advanc...igerstripe.html Full paint kit + basic airbrush kit will run about $124.00
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users