• You cannot reply to this topic

Want to get into pumps Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Smittycent 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:04 PM

Hey,

Im new to the forum and new to the world of pump markers.
They look cool, seem challenging, and paint efficient, and I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction in getting my first one.

Ive been looking at Phantoms (and think the vertical stock class markers look gorgeous), Azodin Kaos, WGP sniper, SL-68II, and someone working at a local field suggested getting an autococker + pump kit. I don't want to go over 300$ and the last option sounds a little pricey.
I've never seen anyone use pump markers anywhere I've played, so I don't think borrowing one is an option.

Maybe I should buy a 30$ brass eagle one and try that first? What would you guys suggest starting with, or what did you start with?

Thanks

#2 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:10 PM

Don't get a $30.00 marker under ANY circumstances. It's not worth it.

Check out the BST section here, there are a few Phantoms in there for good prices.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#3 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:24 PM

you are basically me 4 months ago.

Anyways, if your like me and using a semi right now, you may want to try this: Pick yourself up a 30/50 round hopper and throw it on your marker. try using that for a day or two and find how you like it. Your definatly going to run out of paint SUPER quick the first two games lol.

After doing this I found that I may not like pump as much As I intended to. Although you could turn out to love it who knows?

Usually Autocockers with a pump kit are the "sub 200/250$ go to markers" due to the high chance of you finding one on a B/S/T section of a forum.

Puzuma suggesting the Phantoms is the more "pure pump" area, and it may take a little searching, but for 300$ you could definatly grab a Phantom with a few extra goodies for the marker ( barrel/ body style ie Stock glass loader and a Open class Normal hopper body)

Good luck!

#4 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

If you're looking for a new Phantom at a great price, I suggest you talk to a moderator on here: Krazy8

He set me up with one, I'm just waiting for it to get in! (He's a phantom dealer, btw).

EDIT: It just came in, it looks SO awesome.

This post has been edited by cdrinkh20: 25 May 2010 - 09:39 PM

#5 User is offline   Incognito 

• Using Less Than 100 Paintballs A Day
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:46 PM

A good pump to start out with is a Pump Cocker. It has a full-sized hopper and tank so you don't have to jump right into stock class. Also, you can get used to having to pump after every shot; but you still have a decent rate of fire if you need it. And if you find out pump isn't for you, you can just change the Cocker back into a semi! They're pretty cheap and very easy to find. I think the Pump Cocker would be your best bet.

~Quip~
~Christian Paintballer~CPPA Member #3565~Stock Class Paintballer~Automaggot~My Feedback
Posted Image
The Family: VSC Phantom, PGP, Classic Automag, Autococker, Pumpcocker
U.S. Army Infantry: Because Someone Needs to Take Out the Trash

#6 User is offline   Blind Snyper 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:07 AM

^^^^^
What he said. If you are use to sighting down the gun, you can get a right feed autococker also. Good places to find a used pump, Customcockers and McarterBrown. Price 100 and up.

This post has been edited by Blind Snyper: 27 May 2010 - 11:09 AM

#7 User is offline   Puzuma 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:36 AM

I still think the Phantom is a better option. You can get a left or right feed body to start with. Stick on a gavity feed hopper, 50 rnd pocket hopper or even a stick feed. If you decide that you want to try a full stock class set up you can easily get a stock class body and a 12g changer. To go stock class would be about $50.00 for the parts. Beats the hell out of having to buy a new marker.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#8 User is offline   UWANNAGO 

• Im kind of a big deal, people know me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:UWANNAGO

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

If your patient, and not scared of paintballs then get a phantom.

I started on a phantom and it was terrible for the first few months...

There is a large learning curve because you normally dont have a buttstock, you have 10-15 paintballs, in some cases less air (12g), and you have to pump. The upside is once you get good at it you will be VERY good at paintball, you just have to get used to getting lit up every once and a while and not being scared to make moves.

I went from a phantom to a sniper (converted autococker) and I felt like I was invincible because it was so much easier. I still use my phantom regularly when im trying to brush up on my skills.

#9 User is offline   untchable mech 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:untchable mech

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:21 PM

View PostQuip, on May 26 2010, 11:46 PM, said:

A good pump to start out with is a Pump Cocker. It has a full-sized hopper and tank so you don't have to jump right into stock class. Also, you can get used to having to pump after every shot; but you still have a decent rate of fire if you need it. And if you find out pump isn't for you, you can just change the Cocker back into a semi! They're pretty cheap and very easy to find. I think the Pump Cocker would be your best bet.

~Quip~

I third this, you have the option of having 4 guns in 1: mech cocker, electro, open class, stock class. there are so many options with the cocker that it will grow with you as you play.

"The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of low price is gone"
"There is no shame in shooting someone in the back if later they intend on turning around"

CCM T2
Ego 08
Invert Mini
Tiberius T8

#10 User is offline   Smittycent 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for the great replies everybody, much appreciated.

Okay, so its down to a phantom or a cocker!

For those that recommended a phantom..this is a really nooby question. Is the only difference between a VSC, and a vertical air gravity fed phantom, that the gravity fed uses a vertical bulk air and a hopper? I love the look of the VSC, slightly less pistol looking. (nothing against pistols)But if the vertical air gravity fed uses vertical bulk air then Id probably go for that just for the similar looks AND ease of transition to pump.

For those that recommended a cocker..any particular kinds you recommend??

Smittycent

#11 User is offline   Puzuma 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:36 PM

Here's my VSC Phantom:
Posted Image

Here it is as an OPEN class vert air:
Posted Image

I've got a 3oz CO2 tank on it.

Here it is as open class rear air:
Posted Image

As far as a vertical air tank goes, you shouldn't use anything more than a 9oz tank. Anything more than that it feels too heavy to me.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   untchable mech 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:untchable mech

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

I would go with just about any cocker other then the trilogy, they just arnt as customizable as the others. the Pro stocks and super stocks have always been good and sell for a reasonable price. If you take some time and look around you can get cockers cheap, I have a friend that just got 3 with tanks and hoppers all for under $250

for example here is an old prostock pump for $125
prostock

This post has been edited by untchable mech: 28 May 2010 - 08:43 AM

"The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of low price is gone"
"There is no shame in shooting someone in the back if later they intend on turning around"

CCM T2
Ego 08
Invert Mini
Tiberius T8

#13 User is offline   Blind Snyper 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:03 PM

Rightfeed autococker 100
http://www.pbnation....d.php?t=3398452

Not for sale