"I'm/You're a paintball player" Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:04 AM

Quit complaining. Just go play paintball :P
Instead of being worried about what those people are saying, go ahead and answer the question as best you can. Any forum you go to is going to have people making useless posts. Lord knows this place is 100 times better than TechPB's forums.

I know I've told people to just go play, but usually it was "So I'm a Dagger/Sabre/Point Stick/whatever, but I like to do something slightly different from what the position says". That's when I chime in with "Yo homes, it's cool. They're just guidelines. If you like doing things a little differently, and it works for you, then do it."

I don't know. This is the first time I've even posted in the positions sub-forum in a long time.

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#17 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

Yeah well you wear a kilt when you play so that explains a bit.... B)

#18 User is offline   redthirst 

• AVOID THE NOID!
  • PipPip
  • Location:The South <-- this used to be more specific... but then somebody snitched on me.
  • Brigade Name:WrightPower

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:34 AM

View PostPirate, on 02 February 2011 - 01:04 PM, said:

Quit complaining. Just go play paintball :P
Instead of being worried about what those people are saying, go ahead and answer the question as best you can. Any forum you go to is going to have people making useless posts. Lord knows this place is 100 times better than TechPB's forums.

The problem is that when a new player asks a question like "I'm interested in being a Broadsword because the heavy gunner role really fits me, so what equipment should I buy?" in the Broadsword subforum, which is, by definition, a subforum for people who play or are interested in playing the Broadsword position, they shouldn't immedietly be spammed by posts saying "buy whatever you want, you're not a Broadsword, you're a paintball player."

When a new player posts in one of these forums and the condescending spam posts outnumber the helpful posts a good 5 to 1 (made up ratio), he's not going to bother to post again. Any new player that goes to those forums and reads through the older topics and sees that isn't going to bother to post in the first place. Eventually you end up with a completely dead forum... which is basically what we've got here.
Masters of awesome whom I don't BOINK with: Montresor, long_baller, JerseyPaint, Deschaine, brokepballer, Frontier Bill, Bookworm, TREE FITTY (he's a zombie), THIS COULD BE YOU!

#19 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:43 AM

Makes you wonder how some of those other forums keep going... sheesh. My local forum, I got flamed by an ADMIN after a guy said "ur ***" when he couldn't reply to a logical argument (not that it was an argument, just some sort of discussion about changing rules in league).

I think this forum is one of the best for NOT flaming people.

EDIT: I think part of the issue for some people here is that none of the regulars actually USE the position subforums... some figure they should just be deleted, because only relatively new players ask questions there.

If someone posted in the Newbie's corner or General Discussion and said "I like to shoot lots and lay cover fire, what gear should I get?", then people are going to post more useful suggestions rather than first stating to forget the whole idea of rigid positions.

This post has been edited by cdrinkh20: 02 February 2011 - 11:45 AM

#20 Guest_MOATI_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:46 PM

The only thing I'll say on this topic is something I've said many times in the past...

The positions were not meant to be something that players force themselves into or change the way they play to fit a certain position.

The positions were put out there when Spec Ops first hit the scene. Their primary target customer base was renegade players. They were reaching out to the players out there that rarely went to organized fields. They got together with their friends on private property and just played.

Along comes Spec Ops and the Brigade/Game Locator System. One of the big draws of the Game Locator was that players from 1 small group could get together with players from other small groups forming larger groups and larger games. The positions gave these players a method of quickly telling players they didn't know what their playing style was so they could work together as a team.

It was to encourage team work among players that may be playing together for the first time. It also allows players that may be getting together at some national event (they don't usually play together) a way to know a little of what to expect from the other guy.

If I go to Living Legends and 3 guys introduce themselves to me and ask if they can run with us...I'm always gonna say of course. If 1 tells me he's a Dagger, and the other 2 say they're Broadswords, I now know a little of how they prefer to play and can use them accordingly.

And Krazy...next time I see you I'll GIVE you the Sabre Patch :)

#21 User is offline   Invictusone 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Invictusone

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:10 PM

If it helps people, let them go ahead and use it. Live and let live.

I definitely agree that the idea of positions help organize a team, when you know peoples' playstyles.
I'm not out here to glorify myself
If you are a Christian paintballer add this to your signature
Automaggot 150
--------------------------------------------------------------
My feedback: http://forum.special...howtopic=184491

#22 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kaosukoden

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:23 PM

i play "ambush/sniper" but when I'm giong to the field to just have a good 'ol day of paintball and play against a ton of walk on's, I'm a "paintball player" Now, I have to agree, when I go to a forum and some new guy is asking what equipment to buy because he wants to be a x. I can see how it would be frustrating to hear "buy whatever, just go play paintball" I spent money on my gun, my ghilli, my mask, and pleanty of extras to make my "ambush/sniper" position more enjoyable to play. I was reading in the "paintball dying" thread, and someone mentioned that paintball is being seen as a "wargame" type of sport, with that in mind, if you get someone wanting to play "heavy gunner" obviously I'm not going to go out there and tell him to buy a chaingun type marker, because we've all looked, it doesn't logically work. But if he wants to get a couple a5's with massive hoppers and flatline barrles, Bam, he's a heavy gunner. Dress it up, give him a mock ammo belt to wrap around his waist, and he feels like he's in the game. Paintball is a sport to some, a game to others, and a hobby for all who get involved. It's something we spend our time/money on, and we enjoy it, otherwise we wouldn't do it....

I'm guilty of telling someone who comes into the ambush/sniper forum and asks "what is the best sniper paintball gun?" that they just need to focus on thier game before sinking money into a gun. But I will always give them my opinion of what would best answer thier question. So I think the ultimate answer to this post is this:

If you see someone asking about what to buy, don't straight up say "YOU ARE A PAINTBALL PLAYER, NOT A SOLDIER..." because in essence that's what you're saying. Instead, answer thier bloody question. Just my opinion though.

#23 User is offline   redthirst 

• AVOID THE NOID!
  • PipPip
  • Location:The South <-- this used to be more specific... but then somebody snitched on me.
  • Brigade Name:WrightPower

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:56 PM

View Postkaosukoden, on 02 February 2011 - 05:23 PM, said:

Instead, answer thier bloody question.

Or don't bother posting. Exactly.
Masters of awesome whom I don't BOINK with: Montresor, long_baller, JerseyPaint, Deschaine, brokepballer, Frontier Bill, Bookworm, TREE FITTY (he's a zombie), THIS COULD BE YOU!

#24 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

View PostKrazy8, on 02 February 2011 - 10:47 AM, said:

Yeah well you wear a kilt when you play so that explains a bit.... B)

....you say that like it's a bad thing, I rock a kilt and arrowgun when the mood strikes me. Rock the kilt bro! Scotland go bragh and all that.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users