Special Ops Paintball: Botched Hydro Test, HELP! - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Botched Hydro Test, HELP! They messed up my reg and i just found out Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   alphawhiskey 

• alphawhsikey
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:alphawhiskey

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

Well the old HPA was getting up there in years, and of course I find out its time for it's hydro the day before I decide to go play some rec at the end of last season. I take it down to yeh-olde-scuba shop and ask them to give it the works or whatever and they gladly take my money and the tank that I got a summer job trying to afford. Needless to say, it was about $30.00 - $50.00, I don't really remember because after I got it back all shinny and new, begging to be played with, I did the logical thing and tucked it away into the closet till the next season.

Well, its next season. Took it to Jax to get a charge because I wanted to make paintball a regular hobby again and of course... IT WONT HOLD A CHARGE!!!! It has a substantial leak and the scuba company returned it to me defective.

I've talked to my friend Brad (who's something of a... I don't know... one of those DBs you hate at the field that are extremely pompous and talk big but can back it up with there semi-pro sponsorships, new markers every season, and flawless game play... seriously hate that guy in his element, great to grab a beer with though) and in his best opinion there is an O-ring that wasn't seated properly in the reg neck. I trust his judgment in this matter, however I'm understandably squeamish when it comes to repairing an HPA system myself. Pretty much flat out wont do it, I don't enjoy death.

The reason I haven't just taken it back to the scuba company and demanded they rectify this issue is because it was last season and of course I didn't keep a receipt, plus they messed it up in the first place. Personally, I no longer trust a SCUBA COMPANY to work on my PAINTBALL TANK!

It's a DYE THROTTLE 4500psi 71ci if that sheds any light on the situation.

Is there any way I can fix this? I need any advise on who I can take it to or send it to, and how much that may entail. Any thoughts would be much obliged.

#2 User is offline   Riddler 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:25 AM

sounds to me like strap wrench + new o-ring = win.

not that scary.

#3 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Private Silver

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:22 AM

If it doesn't hold a charge, there's nothing to be afraid of. If you're really squeamish about it just send it out to ninja.
Posted Image
SO Feedback +2/ E-bay feedback +14

#4 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

YouTube should have a how-to on removing & maintaining a reg, check pbn & mcb... they probably have videos/write-ups as well.

You may be able to send it back to DYE, or just do it yourself.

I've never needed to do it, but removing the reg isn't as scary as it seems. Plenty of players do it for when they travel by plane (requirement), they just screw it off before flying then re-install before play. If you've never screwed up installing macroline fittings, which you typically trust to hold back anywhere from 400-1200 psi, then working w/ the big, beefy threads (comparatively) on a regulator shouldn't be that daunting.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#5 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:15 PM

Depending on where it is leaking you can actually take care of it yourself. If it is leaking where the regulator meets the bottle, you will just need to get an o-ring. If it is leaking from the fill nipple area you will more than likely need to replace an o-ring in the nipple or replace the nipple. If the leak is coming from the bonnet or the pin your regulator could need to be rebuilt or replaced. With it being a Throttle regulator I recommend that you replace it with a Crossfire Stealth System regulator. The Throttle was known to have weak threads that stripped out easily. They also used a schrader valve, which is basically the same as the valve core on your car tire.

If it is the regulator that is damaged and you think it is salvageable, talk to Dye and see what they can do. Personally, as stated earlier in my reply, I would get a new reg from Crossfire. You can purchase a new regulator for $33 plus shipping.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users