Special Ops Paintball: Manual to Pump??? - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Manual to Pump??? I have decided to get into pump, but don't know where to start. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Spike2112 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:42 AM

I have decided to get into pump, but don't know where to start. I know of the Phantom line, Arrow Presicion, and Component Concepts plus a few others hear and there. What I don't know are the pros and cons to the different lines. I also need a good quality gun that I won't need to take out a loan to get. I am but a simple college student without much (or any) money who can't live without paintball.

#2 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:45 AM

Component Concepts Inc (CCI) makes the phantom.

Do you prefer a light marker or a heavy one?
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#3 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:05 AM

Punted to Pump Markers. The guys can help you there. (but be leary of the brain washing. :wacko: )

#4 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:53 PM

Since you're on a budget, I'd check out used guns. www.mcarterbrown.com is the equivalent of Mecca to pumpers.

I'd suggest a CCI Phantom or a WGP Sniper platform to start out with.

The Phantom is going to be:

lighter
easier to swap/find parts
more configurable (stock class, open class, modified stock class)

but probably a little more expensive.

A Sniper is going to be:

more consistent (usually have a regulator)
cheaper (for a WGP brand one in the 1998-2004 range)

and most likely will be open class unless it's had some work done.

Now it comes down to two variables. Paint source and air source.

For paint you have stock class and open class.

Stock class is where you have about 10-15 rounds in a horizontal (parallel to barrel) feedtube on top of the gun. This is a much lower profile than a hopper but obviously will call for frequent reloads as you only get those 10 shots before you're out. You also will probably need to buy a new pack that holds 10 round tubes, as reloading a stock class gun from a regular pod is clumsy at best.

Open class is where you have a hopper on your pump. It's an easier entry level than stock class with a much shallower learning curve. Most pumpers use a 50-100 round hopper on their pump, which is usually plenty, unless you're in a really target-rich environment. You don't *have* to use a hopper that size, many people use a high end hopper like a Rotor on their pumps, and some just stick to their good ol' VL200. The downside to this smaller hopper is you'll probably want smaller pods (50 rounders are common) because the 140 round pods are clumsy again.

As for air, you have the option of using 12 gram cartridges or bulk air.

12 grams have the advantage of being über light, but you'll get about 30 shots on average with most pump guns, then you have to change a cartridge, which can be as simple as a flick of a lever or require a bucket to be unscrewed and then replaced. They also don't do well in the cold, so consider that. If you're buying a pump gun that normally uses air regulated down, you'll need to work in a regulator somewhere, which actually increases your efficiency. However, again, you'll probably want something other than pockets to carry your 12ies, they clink around like no other. Most stock class harnesses have provisions for them though. You don't usually see open class with 12ies.

Bulk air has the advantage of no fumbling or counting, and no changes besides to refill. You also get improved consistency and the ability to use HPA. Most fields offer air fills, whereas 25 12 grams from Walmart cost about $15.

I'd recommend an open class bulk air gun to start, then as you go on, move to modified stock class, which is a stock class tube with a bulk tank. I'd choose a Phantom for this, as you can change your setup in two thumbscrews and about as many minutes. :laugh:

Hope that helps, hit up the Pump Discussion Thread if you have more questions. Welcome to the wonderful world of Pump. :)
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

#5 User is offline   flyweightnate 

• Closed bolt. Rock n cock, or rock n roll.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:flyweightnate

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:10 AM

Snipers are a touchy bunch. If you get one that's poorly tuned, it will never work right.

Phantoms always work. Always. However, the super-small paint can give them problems, because it's hard to get a .678" Phantom barrel- 'cocker barrels are more common.

If you're a broke college kid, get a used Phantom is my recommendation. You can resell it for about $10 less than what you paid, usually, if you wait for a good deal before buying. You'll never have a problem you can't fix. CCI sells detent rings to help handle small paint (electricians tape in the barrel works too), and a spring kit fixes any velocity problems. The rest of the gun is basically bulletproof.

Look for a 3.5oz CO2 tank if you want to run it vertical, or run a bottomline 9oz or smaller tank.
Feedback.
"Listen to nate hes always right, no joke"- Mighty Mike

#6 User is offline   Spud01 

• Pump-Ninja
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:08 PM

Ultimate Pump Sticky
http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=112467

#7 User is offline   Lachero 

• We Few...
  • PipPip

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:48 AM

thisissparta said it right. get a phantom or an autococker. another tip i might add is picking up a 13ci hpa tank. useful for play anywhere.
I like turtles!
Support Cedric Diggory...Edward Stinks!

#8 User is offline   bNobody 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

All's been said. Phantom's my favorite though. I sport an open class Phantom on HPA. Only I can add is that CCI gives you an exceptional customer service. Any problems or in need of some springs, o-rings, ... Just give Mike an email and he'll help you out in no time.

#9 User is offline   Spike2112 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:18 AM

Thanks for all of the big help. I have jsut recently been able to get back to a computer with internet. Puzuma- I prefer a light marker. Thanks thisissparta for the break down it really helped a lot. Thanks also flyweightnate for the useful hints on paint size. The link worked great to help me learn more about pump guns Spud01. I can't wait tog et out there and practice with a pump. All of the tips were great.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users