Special Ops Paintball: Ultimate Ghillie Thread - Special Ops Paintball

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ultimate Ghillie Thread Advice on making a ghillie Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   USMC-Scout/Sniper 

• I'm supposed to put a vitty saying here, Ja?
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:04 PM

First thing when making a ghillie suit decide whether you want a stalker (upright) or military (crawling) suit.- To decide which one how do you play? Do run/walk alot or do you crawl and stay low to the ground? Also look at where you play. Can you crawl or is the terrain to thick?

Second decide the colors.- look at where you play. Find the most predominate colors. Use these in your suit.
e.i.- Im playing in a temperate woodland. I see the most common colors are tan, brown, gray.(This isnt all temperate woodlands, just an example!)
No black! First rule of ghillie colors! Black is foreign (like ze french peopole!) in natural enviroments so it'll just stick out! Black is used on 2d camo to create the illusion of shadows, but since your 3d ghillie suit already has shadows you dont need black. All it'll do is stick out at close ranges.Also dont use bright colors. Common sense right? Wrong! Bright colors in camouflage are any primary or secondary colors and there mixtures. 'Well what about green?' you say. If you use green use a very drab dull green, like olive drab(durh!). For the main colors use neutral colors, these blend well into almost every terrain. No more than 25% of your suit should be green, because green in large amounts sticks out and also for that reason a little green will work.
e.i.- your suit is mainly green with a little brown, currently you are hiding in a green bush but when you move to a leafy pile the green stands out. Your suit is now mainly brown/tan with a little green mixed in. you are hiding next to the same bush, naturally the green sticks out and the human eye sees the green in the bush and makes the green in the suit stick out even more. You move to the leafy pile now and the brown/tan suit blends in perfect.

An exception to the Little Green rule is if your are playing in a terrain that the foreground and background are green, e.i. jungle, tropic/sub-tropic swamps, rain forests. Well if the terrain you play in is mostly green, the forground and background is green, then make your suit mostly green. The only terrains that come to mind that a mostly green ghillie would blend into would be pacific northwest, the rain forests there; jungle or tropical/sub-tropical swamp. Many terrains may look mostly green, this is an opitical illusion because green sticks out. When you get close you see that some of the fore-ground; objects near you, e.i. tree trunks, bushes, rocks, logs, etc...; is green, but the background and lots of the foreground is neutral colors(brown/tan/gray). The point of a ghillies suit is to blend you into the background rather than the foreground. so whatever the background is, neutral colors or mostly green, using that color scheme will work the best. If you do make a mostly green ghillie, use a very neutral tinted green, such as olive drab, as your base color then layer in light and dark greens in addition to neutral colors.

The main purpose of a ghillie is to blend you into the background rather than the foreground, foreground objects tend to stick out anyways so why would you want to blend/look like one?. So look at mainly the color scheme of the background of your terrain and use this.

-On all ghillies i suggest putting canvas or heavy fabric(like cordura) at major wear points, knees elbows, etc...
This advice will work for action, mesh/fabric and burlap/jute ghillies.

Advice when making a burlap ghillie.
- when using sheet burlap, cut it into squares with the sides 2x the length you want your strands (when you tie it on itll be halved so wa la! the right length) shred these for strings instead of the usual way of cutting out strips, tying them to the suit then shredding them. this trick will save you half of your burlap.
- use a water repelent when your done on a burlap/jute and also fabric/mesh ghillies. This will help prevent your ghillie from absorbing water and making it heavier than all hell.

Ill post more ghillie advice and people who've made ghillies feel free to post your own advice too.

Heres a link to a ghillie how to
Ghillie how to

If you are making a crawling ghillie you'll have to modify these instructions and put canvas or heavy fabric(like cordura) on the front of the suit.

Swatornot's Ghillie Mask How To

This post has been edited by USMC-Scout/Sniper: 31 March 2006 - 01:09 AM

#2 Guest_Headshotjester_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:15 PM

Nice. I think I might smell a sticky.

#3 User is offline   rambo16 

• Midnight Raider
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rambo691

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:32 PM

Very nice USMC.

This post has been edited by rambo16: 29 November 2005 - 03:32 PM

#4 User is offline   USMC-Scout/Sniper 

• PipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:35 PM

Yea i was getting sick and tired of posting the same thing over and over on a million different ghillie threads that asked the same question and im sure other people where feeling the same way. Has any one heard of search?

Snipers feel free to post your advice on ghillies!

#5 Guest_Headshotjester_*

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:46 PM

You just did for us. :)

#6 User is offline   USMC-Scout/Sniper 

• PipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:57 PM

Advice on materials-

-For camouflage purposes burlap/jute is the best at breaking up your outline with less material because it gets all frizzy and lofts like insulation. Also the frizz helps pick up and hold natural materials from the terrain like leaves and grass. Burlap also has a texture that matchs very well with any enviroment.

-Weight wise burlap/jute is heavy compared to other ghillie materials like mesh and the action ghillie. For weight though i have a burlap ghillie and it isnt as heavy as everyone says,it's like wearing a coat. Burlap/jute is also very bulky, thats why it breaks up your outline the best.

-If you want a light weight ghillie that still has some of the advantages of burlap/jute use either camo mesh/fabric and/or camo netting like the action ghillie and put some burlap/jute on it. This wont work as well as a full burlap/jute ghillie, but itll be better than a full action or mesh ghillie.

This post has been edited by USMC-Scout/Sniper: 29 November 2005 - 03:58 PM

#7 Guest_Diver_*

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:03 PM

There really isnt a need to choose between a stalk and crawl suit. They should be a combination of both
as should the material(i.e Burlap and Jute). When the suit is put together (using both jute and burlap),
if done correctly, your 'crawl' suit should be very effective as a stalk suit. <---talking from experience

Also when using the burlap, if you soft tie colored strands, this will help in removal when changing terrain
color on the fly. This goes in hand with the Neutral color theory. If you know that you are constantly going
to be depployed in thick or heavy vegetation, then darker colors and a 40 to 45% green is recommended.

The heavy canvas at major wear points is a good idea. (place that on the ouside). If you wanted to depending
on the person, you could add padding at the elbows and knees (on the inside) of the suit

** also, you can waterproof and fire retard your fabrics and burlap/jute before assembly, this will assist in
lengthening the life of the suit, more so than doign it after attaching the fabrics.

This post has been edited by Diver: 29 November 2005 - 04:10 PM

#8 User is offline   HattrikJester 

• The laughing shadows await you...
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:hattrik

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:07 PM

If you're doing more running and walking than crawling, then sounds like you should find a new position.
user posted image

The shadows are my only allies...

Paint runs through my veins...

#9 User is offline   USMC-Scout/Sniper 

• PipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:06 PM

I know a good military style ghillie would function as both a crawling and as a stalking suit, but im refering to a ghillie that has canvas on the front as a military/crawling suit and a ghillie that has ghillie material on the front as stalking suit. A good crawling ghillie will camouflage your front and therefor function as a stalker, but its hard to get the ghillie stuff on the front just right so it doesnt get caught when crawling. A stalker suit is impossible to crawl in because the ghillie materials on the front would constantly be getting caught except across grass, but most people dont play in open grassy areas, maybe a forest meadow or field next to the woods.

I ment more like a low walk, not upright walking or running.

This post has been edited by USMC-Scout/Sniper: 30 November 2005 - 04:07 PM

#10 User is offline   Skipsta 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:55 PM

what kind of shapes and stuff should u make with the different colors of spray paint?

#11 User is offline   USMC-Scout/Sniper 

• PipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:43 PM

i do not recomend spray painting your ghillie, i sugest dying the burlap to the right color, but its up to you.

#12 Guest_Stella1_*

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:55 PM

up. oh and even if i is a sabre my friend really needs this. oh and ive always wanted to be at the start of a stickied thread

#13 User is offline   Skipsta 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:11 PM

what do you dye the burlap with?

#14 User is offline   USMC-Scout/Sniper 

• PipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2005 - 02:22 PM

- To dye use fabric dye, like rit dye. You can find it at wal-mart, and almost every fabric and craft store. Most stores only carry a few basic colors;blue, black, dark green, tan, brown, gray, yellow, red, orange, etc... To get the right color use mutiple dyes, start with base color (the color closest to the one you want). e.i.- You want gray green so dye the burlap green first then dye it gray. The green will stay the overall color but the gray will tint it. Dye it the second color only after you have completed dying it the first (washing excess dye out, drying it out, etc...) other wise it might just wash both colors out of the fabric. Or mix varied amounts of both colors into the same dye batch to get the right color.

*If you play in a new area and find that your ghillie's colors are way off, a quick way to fix this is to spray paint a little on the garnish (the camo part, i.e. burlap/jute, mesh/fabric strips, camo netting). I dont recommend this unless it is a complete necessity, i.e. your playing in 15 minutes and dont have time to swap out garnish, as it will irreversibly color your ghillie suit unless you change garnish.

This post has been edited by USMC-Scout/Sniper: 26 March 2006 - 10:37 PM

#15 Guest_Headshotjester_*

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:01 PM

Since this isn't pinned, I'll bump it.

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic