Special Ops Paintball: The AMG project - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The AMG project An old classic with modern workings

#1 Guest_Schecter_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:45 PM

It started off as an AMG I had and wanted to make it better. I had thought about turning it into a spimmy, but it would require a lot of work and I would basically be left with an AMG body. So, I decided to look further into blowbacks. Evidently, when I heard kingman finally updated their internals with a balance valve I had to check it out. It uses a longer more efficient valve and a smaller striker. 2 birds with one stone. however, the problem lay in the fact that the AMG didn't have a VA.
So, I bought a used VS2 to dissect.
I got a friend of mine to do some custom work to keep from having to cut a chunk out of the VA and still be able to install an adjustable verticle reg and the stock spring. I also had the option of keeping the stock front grip and using the VS2 reg, but the guy seemed to want to do it, and so I let him have his fun. Plus, I paid him with a gun, so I might as well get my "moneys/monies(however you spell it)" worth. So, we put our heads together and thought up the design.
The first piece was a new front plug, the old one held the stock spring which was too hard, and it didn't hold a VA type cone spring, so we had to figure out a way to do it. What we came up with was to use a bolt and a nut to make an adjustable spring stop, it also let me control the tension very precisely, and give me the opportunity to reset the bolt after a days play(can't win them all)
Posted Image
Next was a vert reg adapter, way back a guy named apoc who made one, but it is out of production, are very rare and would cost me more than the gun. So, when he said he could make one, I was happy as a clam. It also screws into the stock screw holes so no body modifying was required.
Posted Image
Well, I sent it off in January and he did the work, then evidently lost it while cleaning his workshop. He wasn't responding to emails and I gave up thinking I had lost the gun. Well, I suddenly get a call saying he found it and is sending it the next day. :D
So, I get the gun in, all the parts. To make up for the wait he threw in an ion reg and a CP ASA. Plus a tadao board and a spring kit, so IMO it was worth the wait.
So, here are my internals
Posted Image

and here it is assembled
Posted Image

However, I uncured a problem, I didn't know the stock ion reg's max output pressure at the time(230psi) which evidently wasn't enough to cock the gun. So, I've currently have a BL torpedo reg in the mail.

Here is another picture of the gun with a hopper and tank
Posted Image

updates once I get the timmy reg in, which should be by the end of the week.

#2 Guest_Schecter_*

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:51 PM

and I am going to make a post for the hypothetical next projects. the first would be adding a couple new parts.
First might be an ACS bolt. I don't want to add eyes because the amount of work and the margin of error isn't in my favor. Plus, it's delrin. Of course, I'd need to mod the bolt pin to fit the AMG, but it's easier.
Also there is the alamocitypb delrin striker. However it seems that $30 for a striker I don't even know will work is a bit of a stretch. I am pretty sure if I make the internals too light it may negatively effect the performance. So, for now it's stock VS2 parts.
Posted Image

I also have a complete VS2 minus the valve and striker. So, I may decide to buy a 2k2 timmy and make a spimmy out of the VS2. It already has the eye holes drilled and the VA will fit right on it. Only modification would be the lower front barb hole. Of course I will use the clamshell because I am lazy. Just to have as a 2nd gun.

#3 Guest_Schecter_*

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:03 PM

no one has any comments? :)

#4 User is offline   Explosive 

• Sabre/Sneaking Guy for Xtreme Fanatics
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:-XF-Explosive

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:32 PM

you put a lot into a Spyder.

may want to post this up at http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ if you haven't already.
they appreciate tinkering with the classics.

#5 User is offline   blackrain 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:blackrain's aftermath

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

Excellent. You put alot of work into that spyder. Some might think it's wasted time,but me I think it was time well spent. I like the Vert ASA idea. You have great skills and you should keep the work up. I just recently bought a 12 x 36 lathe and looking at a mill. I have a few ideas too :)

Later,
Blackrain:)

#6 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:41 AM

looks great...think about wood grips and barrel shroud?
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users