Special Ops Paintball: Grip Pod Review - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Grip Pod Review $150 grip?? Let's take a look...

#1 User is offline   SGT ruger USMC 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:SGTrugerUSMC

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:18 PM

Hello everyone, I'm kind of new to the site... sort of, I lurked a lot before I joined. At any rate I want to begin contributing to this forum, and wanted to start with a review of a piece of gear I with which I was very familiar. To give ya'll a quick background with which to judge my review and it's validity to your playing style, I played paintball a lot in 2000-2001, then joined the Marines as an infantryman. Spent two years in Europe as a designated marksman shooting the m14, then the last 1.5 yr in Hawaii including one 7 month tour in Iraq as a squad leader, Lima co 3/3.

So... the Grip Pod.
Posted Image

What is it? What Does it do?

Well it serves as a foward grip that also...

Posted Image

expands with the press of a button into a bipod.

Here's the parts...Posted Image

breaks down for easy maintenence into three parts. The Grip, the Main Spring and the Bi Pod with locking collar.

Specs for GP-02 Grip Pod:
Construction Material: High-Strength Polymer
Length Closed: 5.75"
Deployed Height: 8.25"
Deployed Width: 7.125"
Diameter: 1.75
Weight: 7 ounces
Color: Black

Cost of this device you ask? Well Uncle Sam was gracious enough to bestow mine upon me courtesy of our battalion gunner, you can grab one for $139.00 HERE

Onto the review.

As a grip, it's one on the best I've used. It's long enough to be useful, and it's locking mechanism is by far the best I've seen and I've used several brands and messed with at least 5 different types in country. It is strong enough to work securely with my airsoft M1A SOCOM
Posted Image

and not break off like my sissy Knights Armament grip did.

Any downsides as a grip? It's heavy. You might not think so, but put it on an M16a4 with a surefire, a peq-2, acog, jpoint, extra mag pouch, double mag and you don't want extra weight. I'm sure some of you have heavy paintball guns too, with tank and all attached so you'll have an idea what I mean.

Now... As a Bi Pod. It WORKS, in that it neither sucks, nor is it a harris quality bipod. I'd give it a straight 5 out of 10 as a bi pod. It'll flex and move around a bit and it's not height adjustable. Maybe I just ask too much of my stuff lol.

Ok, put them together? How does it work in the real world??

Not great, IMO. I like a bipod to be towards the front of the weapon, and I like a grip almost against the magwell of an M16, or at least closer to my body on an airsoft or paintball gun. So, to use it as both it needs to be further away from me on the rail and loses it's comfort as a grip and increases fatigue on the supporting arm. The feet are too small and dig into soft ground. And one last gripe I have is that the deployment of the bipod, if you dont grab it and slow it with your hand is LOUD. For most of you that won't be a problem, but it would be bad at night outside a house you're about to raid. The release mechanism should be a twist at the base, so you twist it, and at the same time you're cupping the tripod in your hand and extend it slowly... quietly. This would prevent accidental extensions of the tripod if you mistakingly hit the button.

So, you might be thinking I just ripped this piece of gear and I'm being too picky. I'm not. I genuinely like the thing, and I found a solution. I take the tripod out of the grip and just use the grip. It's lighter and I love the positive locking mechanism and how secure it is.

As a Grip I give it a 9/10. As a Tripod, a 5/10, Combined? I won't rate it, just take what you want from my review and draw your own conclusion.

I do know a great use for it though... displaying your paintball or airsoft gun!

Posted Image

Semper Fidelis

Sgt ruger USMC

#2 User is offline   BK_NC 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:50 PM

Great review. I like this grip a lot. Was your KA grip a Grip-Pod replica or just a regular tactical grip. I'm wondering how good the $20 grip-pods on ebay are.

Arsenal: Ion, Tipp M98
Big Fan of the P90 and will do an airsoft/Ion mod of one someday soon.

#3 User is offline   sniper-1 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:sniper-1

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:02 PM

This grip work fine for me

You can view pics of one mounted on my SP-8 on this thread

#4 User is offline   Bullet_Bob 

• U LOOKING AT ME???
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:17 PM

View PostSGT ruger USMC, on Mar 6 2007, 02:18 AM, said:

Hello everyone, I'm kind of new to the site... sort of, I lurked a lot before I joined. At any rate I want to begin contributing to this forum, and wanted to start with a review of a piece of gear I with which I was very familiar. To give ya'll a quick background with which to judge my review and it's validity to your playing style, I played paintball a lot in 2000-2001, then joined the Marines as an infantryman. Spent two years in Europe as a designated marksman shooting the m14, then the last 1.5 yr in Hawaii including one 7 month tour in Iraq as a squad leader, Lima co 3/3.

So... the Grip Pod.
Posted Image

What is it? What Does it do?

Well it serves as a foward grip that also...

Posted Image

expands with the press of a button into a bipod.

Here's the parts...Posted Image

breaks down for easy maintenence into three parts. The Grip, the Main Spring and the Bi Pod with locking collar.

Specs for GP-02 Grip Pod:
Construction Material: High-Strength Polymer
Length Closed: 5.75"
Deployed Height: 8.25"
Deployed Width: 7.125"
Diameter: 1.75
Weight: 7 ounces
Color: Black

Cost of this device you ask? Well Uncle Sam was gracious enough to bestow mine upon me courtesy of our battalion gunner, you can grab one for $139.00 HERE

Onto the review.

As a grip, it's one on the best I've used. It's long enough to be useful, and it's locking mechanism is by far the best I've seen and I've used several brands and messed with at least 5 different types in country. It is strong enough to work securely with my airsoft M1A SOCOM
Posted Image

and not break off like my sissy Knights Armament grip did.

Any downsides as a grip? It's heavy. You might not think so, but put it on an M16a4 with a surefire, a peq-2, acog, jpoint, extra mag pouch, double mag and you don't want extra weight. I'm sure some of you have heavy paintball guns too, with tank and all attached so you'll have an idea what I mean.

Now... As a Bi Pod. It WORKS, in that it neither sucks, nor is it a harris quality bipod. I'd give it a straight 5 out of 10 as a bi pod. It'll flex and move around a bit and it's not height adjustable. Maybe I just ask too much of my stuff lol.

Ok, put them together? How does it work in the real world??

Not great, IMO. I like a bipod to be towards the front of the weapon, and I like a grip almost against the magwell of an M16, or at least closer to my body on an airsoft or paintball gun. So, to use it as both it needs to be further away from me on the rail and loses it's comfort as a grip and increases fatigue on the supporting arm. The feet are too small and dig into soft ground. And one last gripe I have is that the deployment of the bipod, if you dont grab it and slow it with your hand is LOUD. For most of you that won't be a problem, but it would be bad at night outside a house you're about to raid. The release mechanism should be a twist at the base, so you twist it, and at the same time you're cupping the tripod in your hand and extend it slowly... quietly. This would prevent accidental extensions of the tripod if you mistakingly hit the button.

So, you might be thinking I just ripped this piece of gear and I'm being too picky. I'm not. I genuinely like the thing, and I found a solution. I take the tripod out of the grip and just use the grip. It's lighter and I love the positive locking mechanism and how secure it is.

As a Grip I give it a 9/10. As a Tripod, a 5/10, Combined? I won't rate it, just take what you want from my review and draw your own conclusion.

I do know a great use for it though... displaying your paintball or airsoft gun!

Posted Image

Semper Fidelis

Sgt ruger USMC

:usa: :usa: Thank you for your service. :usa: :usa:
But a $139.00 gun stand? :D
French Paintball Gun For Sale.
Never fired. Dropped once.

Team 2nd Amendment

#5 User is offline   SGT ruger USMC 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:SGTrugerUSMC

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:16 PM

hey thanks bullet bob! But honestly, I use it as a grip, and took out the "pod" lol. Hey mine was free so who cares? The point of the review was to save someone who plays and holds guns like me their $139 if they were thinking about this grip.

My Kights armament grip is a regular tac grip not an imitation grip pod.

#6 User is offline   Mulletar 

• Emasculator of the puerile
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mulletar

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:50 AM

Fantastic review. I've heard a few things about the Grip Pod, but nothing definitive until now. I'll have to pick one up for use with paintguns/airsoft guns.

94% of the people on this forum have an annoying statistic in their signature. If you think that's ridiculously stupid, or even if you're a part of the 0.5% that couldn't care less, put this in your sig.

#7 User is offline   Matt 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:54 AM

OOH-RAH!! SEMPER FI.
I would like to thank thee for serving our country.
Welcome to the forums. :o

This post has been edited by _matt_: 13 April 2007 - 07:54 AM

#8 User is offline   NeoGzus 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:NeoGzus

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:06 PM

They have those things for the deal on amazon.com *bipod link* or ebay for like $13-20. Probably a knock-off of the expensive one. Any reviews of the cheap ones??

This post has been edited by NeoGzus: 01 August 2007 - 06:08 PM

#9 User is offline   Swamp Thing 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SwampThing666

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:10 PM

I have one of the "real" ones and I love it. I like it for the Grip and find it very comfortable. I also like it for the Bipod when I am between games and can leave my gun standing and not sitting in the dust.

Swamp
Captain Underground Mod Shop Special Operations Guerrillas U.M.S.S.O.G.
SPPL 2nd Place Rookie Division 2008 @ Bearclaw
Executive Officer of the 352nd Panzenjagers OK D Day (2008)
CO of the 709th Artillerie Regiment, OK D Day (2009)

#10 User is offline   MCASgt New River 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:USMC

Post icon  Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:19 PM

Glad to have a outside party post a review on this Grip Pod. I'm an active duty Marine stationed at MCAS New River with almost 8 years in service. I'm trying to start my own business in firearm parts and accessories. I'm a licensed dealer for Brownells's and have several other items for sale. I thank every one that has served or supports the military.

I have good feed-back on several forums such as the Saiga forum, AK Files Forum and AR15.Com if your curious as a perspective buyer.

I have 15 of these never mounted to a rail, brand new, available for $125 each shipped via USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation tracking. 10 are still bubble wrapped from the manufacture and 5 have been taken out for picture and display purpose's as seen below. I have sold 3 of the open pictured below leaving 5 opened Grip Pod packages FYI. Just to add to Sgt Ruger's post on this Grip Pod I have literally stood on mine. It will support 158lbs and not collapse, try that with a cheapie china version.

I also have (1) Knight's Armament Rail cover Kits - Includes 2 - 1-1/2", 1 - 2-3/4", 2 - 4" and a Broom Handle - Brand New - $50.00 each shipped via USPS

Thanks for looking!!

Posted Image

Grip Pod Video Link

Posted Image

--------------------------------------------------

This is the link to another place to purchase the grip pod at $149 + shipping
http://www.mountsplu...va/merchant.mvc?

The manufacture link is below but you have to go through a distributor to obtain one, or me.
http://www.grippod.com for more info.

The Knights Armament Rail & Broom Handle Kit pricing starts at $22 per rail and $56 for the handle at the below link:
http://www.sr-25.com/KACPartsNew.htm

This post has been edited by MCASgt New River: 18 December 2007 - 09:35 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users