• You cannot reply to this topic

Idea for painting masks. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   HelicopterPilot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:HelicopterPilot

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:14 PM

Well I've been reading that when masks flex the paint chips off. Now my other hobby is R/C and I airbrush the lexan bodies that go on my trucks. The paint I use bonds with the plastic and doesn't flake off when you flex the bodies. I think that this type of paint may be the solution for painting masks. I will eventually try it out ,but has anyone else tried this idea.

EDIT: Pictures are up. I'm also uploading pics of the completed mask.
Edit2: Could mod add in the title that the pics are up.

This post has been edited by HelicopterPilot: 15 July 2008 - 10:26 AM

Tippmann Owner #107 & Sabre # ╥ (Pi)

#2 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:44 AM

the mane/brand of paint is.............................??
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#3 User is offline   TyTy 

• Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:29 AM

Yeah, what kind of brand/type of paint is it cause I've got 3 back up masks that need modding :).
-Ty :ghillie:

#4 User is offline   HelicopterPilot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:56 AM

Its called faskolor(the brand I use). You need to look for polycarbonate paints. Parma makes faskolor (water based paint) and tamiya makes Tamiya Paint (acryilic based). The faskolor cleans easier since its water based while the Tamiya paint needs a thinner (unless your using a can).

If you have a hobby shop around that carries R/C cars ask them for R/C car paint. They should point you to the right stuff if they carry it.

This post has been edited by HelicopterPilot: 11 July 2008 - 08:56 AM

#5 User is online   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:02 AM

It might depend on the mask too...some, like the JT Spectra/Flex, seem almost rubbery rather than plastic. Ive had good luck with regular enamel & just repaint when when it cracks to much, but if you got something better I'll use it for sure.

#6 User is offline   TyTy 

• Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:18 AM

Wal-Mart is my closest hobby shop. I've got another store further in town I'll check out that's got all kinds of stuff like that. I love modding anything within my ability.
-Ty :laugh:

#7 User is offline   HelicopterPilot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:16 PM

Well I painted my V-force fieldvision goggles. I mixed my own tone of OD green. The coating is even ,but my dysfunctional airbrush put a splatter on the left side of the mask. Pictures are in the process of being put up. As far as looks go, I like it, but the durability test will come saturday when I go to venture.

#8 User is offline   HelicopterPilot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:12 PM

Pics. The flash made it a bit brighter than in real life. I think some photos (the visor ones) had no flash so they are a bit darker actually than in real life.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I know its not the cleanest job as far as how clean the mask was when I painted it, but this is more a proof of concept kinda thing.

Edit: More Pictures.
I took off the masking tape, installed the visor, strap and lens. I'm really proud of my work :unsure:. It may not be the best out there ,but I did it myself. Plus green is usually better than black.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by HelicopterPilot: 14 July 2008 - 05:13 PM

#9 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:55 AM

lookin good so far...

gonna digi-camo it now?
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#10 User is offline   HelicopterPilot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:47 PM

I'm going to keep it green for now. I barely pulled off a decent paint job with my airbrush. I still need to buy a new hose since my other one leaks and won't let me pressurize above 50 psi. In the future maybe I'll try a flecktarn pattern on it.

#11 User is offline   Charlie Echo 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Charlie Echo

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:57 PM

Looks good. Why did't you take off the lens before you painted it? You know it comes out real easy with the clips provided. The plastic you are painting is pretty hard. Duracoat adheres to it good already. But more high dollar masks have soft parts made from stuff as soft as tire rubber, such as the vforce grills. Next time your at the pro shop, check one out. If anyone has a solution for it, let me know. I think that the best would be to tool the rubber and pour in the different colors. But hardly any manufactures will give us one like that. Too many camo patterns to be desired for everyones taste. I am sure your info will help many here. Duracoat is expensive, but this sounds like a good alternative.

Looks good. Why did't you take off the lens before you painted it? You know it comes out real easy with the clips provided. The plastic you are painting is pretty hard. Duracoat adheres to it good already. But more high dollar masks have soft parts made from stuff as soft as tire rubber, such as the vforce grills. Next time your at the pro shop, check one out. If anyone has a solution for it, let me know. I think that the best would be to tool the rubber and pour in the different colors. But hardly any manufactures will give us one like that. Too many camo patterns to be desired for everyones taste. I am sure your info will help many here. Duracoat is expensive, but this sounds like a good alternative.

#12 User is offline   Oregon HydroGraphics 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:18 PM

Here is the one I did yesterday!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Mike Cole
Oregon HydroGraphics
2187 South F Street, Unit B
Springfield, OR. 97477
541-746-8660
Oregonhg@yahoo.com

#13 User is offline   HelicopterPilot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:29 AM

View PostCharlie Echo, on Jul 16 2008, 12:57 PM, said:

I did remove the lens. The first couple of photos shows it with no lens. I taped off the lens area so the paint doesn't get inside the mask. I've seen the grills and felt the rubber areas. I understand how it flexes a lot and paint may crack on it.

#14 User is offline   dagger boy 98c 

• Expect the unexpected
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:dagger boy 98c

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:02 PM

View PostOregon HydroGraphics, on Jul 16 2008, 03:18 PM, said:

Here is the one I did yesterday!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Very very nice. I like the fading multicam. nice work.
also How does the faskcolor hold up? im very curious in this paint. I have seen it out my local hobby shop.

#15 User is offline   Infamous_51 

• official rock and roll clown
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:07 PM

Actually with the whole flaking thing it only flakes off when you bend it upon itself. I use regular krylon and it stays on when I bend it toward your face but when it bends the other way is the problem (which pretty much never happens)

But nice mask and paintjob!

(Go sig yourself) Maybe I will...Maybe I will..........-Epic_fail

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users