Special Ops Paintball: ION XE - Airsoft M4 conversion? - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ION XE - Airsoft M4 conversion? Help needed.

#1 User is offline   ALIHISGREAT 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:20 AM

So i'm contemplating an ION XE - M4 mod in the future but i've got several doubts and general questions...

Firstly, will an ION XE actually fit in an airsoft M4 upper? its 21cm long and roughly 2.5cm wide, more accurate measurements would be welcome! (i don't have calipers :panzer: )

secondly where to put various items such as the battery board and reg?

I've though of several ways of going about this.

1- space permitting, board in grip, battery in solid stock and reg in mag? (probably the simplist?)
2- Solid stock with board, battery and reg in (probably the most difficult due to re-tubing)

Then there is the issue of the feedneck, unlike the ION, the XE's feedneck is attached to the body, meaning a feedneck would have to be attached to the M4 upper which would require copious amounts of epoxy but would definitely work, but are ION Breaches compatible with the threading on the XE? this would also mean being able to get a cocker threaded one :happy:

anyway, i'm just throwing ideas around at the moment and would like some input :(

#2 User is offline   Ciderbarrel 

• "Crazy Eyes"
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ciderbarrel

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

View PostALIHISGREAT, on Apr 19 2009, 02:20 PM, said:

So i'm contemplating an ION XE - M4 mod in the future but i've got several doubts and general questions...

Firstly, will an ION XE actually fit in an airsoft M4 upper? its 21cm long and roughly 2.5cm wide, more accurate measurements would be welcome! (i don't have calipers :panzer: )

secondly where to put various items such as the battery board and reg?

I've though of several ways of going about this.

1- space permitting, board in grip, battery in solid stock and reg in mag? (probably the simplist?)
2- Solid stock with board, battery and reg in (probably the most difficult due to re-tubing)

Then there is the issue of the feedneck, unlike the ION, the XE's feedneck is attached to the body, meaning a feedneck would have to be attached to the M4 upper which would require copious amounts of epoxy but would definitely work, but are ION Breaches compatible with the threading on the XE? this would also mean being able to get a cocker threaded one :happy:

anyway, i'm just throwing ideas around at the moment and would like some input :(

I was planning on doing this as another side project, so I've given it some thought. I don't have the measurements, but since it's not a bullpup like the P90, I think it should be easier.

My plan was to just drop the board right behind the trigger. I doubt the M4 has a backdoor like the P90, so I haven't though about where to put the battery. I'm guessing that it will have a slot for a mag so I'd hide the battery in a fake mag box.

My plan was to put the reg in the grip and then have quick disconnect nipple poke out from underneath, just like I did with my P90 and run the gas from a remote.

I'm planning on starting this as soon as I get my M4 in, so I'll let you know once I get one in my hands and see how everything fits.

I hope someone else out there has tried this and has some tips.

#3 User is offline   ALIHISGREAT 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

i've seen some impressive automag mods, but no ION mods, when is your M4 arriving?

ok, so i've just had a pretty good thought, even if i do say so myself :panzer:

a smart parts vibe could be a very useful gun for this project! for several reasons!

1- The board sits horizontally under the firing can/tube/main body making placement easy and freeing up space for other bits.
2- its cheap! £40 second hand

This post has been edited by ALIHISGREAT: 19 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

#4 User is offline   ALIHISGREAT 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:20 AM

i've updated my plan!

My very rough plan:
Take an old style ION cut off the front part containing the barrel threads, put it inside an M4/16 metal airsoft body with the threads tapped into the receiver (the front part where d-rings/fore-grips screw on.) mount the board somewhere above/around the trigger, put the reg inside the mag and fit the battery wherever i can.

now to give credit where it's due, my inspiration comes from Uhlan's mod found here... http://todd.mainecav...l/m16/progress/

Posted Image

green = reg
orange = board, tubes and banjos etc.
red=body tube
blue = threads cut into body

Posted Image

This post has been edited by ALIHISGREAT: 03 May 2009 - 03:21 AM

#5 User is offline   josef_k 

• WWII mod-o-holic
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Josef_K

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:45 PM

Instead of having to cut a hole through the top of your receiver for a conventional hopper in addition to having to shoehorn the regulator into a cosmetic magazine shell, how about inverting the XE body so that it feeds from the magazine location and relocate the regulator into the buttstock, using a slightly longer length of tubing? I'm sure the board could still be located near the trigger group location.

There are 101 types of people: those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who just can't count.

#6 User is offline   ALIHISGREAT 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:39 AM

View Postjosef_k, on May 11 2009, 04:45 AM, said:

Instead of having to cut a hole through the top of your receiver for a conventional hopper in addition to having to shoehorn the regulator into a cosmetic magazine shell, how about inverting the XE body so that it feeds from the magazine location and relocate the regulator into the buttstock, using a slightly longer length of tubing? I'm sure the board could still be located near the trigger group location.

the feedneck would come out at a 45degree angle so it would come out of the ejector port, sorry, i didn't really make it clear.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users