• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Machine Gunner A cost cutting solution to the Heavy Gunner Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_Woodland Warrior_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:19 AM

I have searched for something like this, and I haven't found anything.

A heavy gunner nowdays is just too expensive for a regular team to have. The double guns, hoppers, barrels, paint, and air to name a few. Also, the heavy gunner is too much of a target, even if he has the firepower to stop the enemy. A machine gunner solves this problem.

This person would not have what the heavy gunner does. He would have an 98 Custom, or an A-5, fitted with an E-grip. He would have a 14-16 inch barrel, fitted with a bipod. He would carry a vest loaded down with paint, and an extra air tank. He might also have a partner, who would help carry more paint and air, and could also act as a spotter. A team member would radio to the spotter to direct fire to a place where it needs to be. They would take turns firing. The advantage to having a machine gunner far outweighs the heavy gunner. The machine gunner is less of a target, and is less expensive to have.

Gear list in total-
A-5/98 Custom
14-16 inch barrel
Bipod
E-grip
Broadsword Vest
Lots and lots of paint
2 air tanks
Radio
Partner (Not nessecary)

#2 User is offline   Cesh 

• nerd-shield dancer
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Cesh

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:51 AM

So it's a Broadsword with a bipod?

Location: Hamburg, Germany Camo Pattern: German Flecktarn Marker: Tippmann A5 Sidearm: 32 Degrees Delta .68 /w Picatinny rails
MilSim: VLTOR stock, Metadyne RIS handguard & M4 magazine, rail covers, flashlight, fake laser system, flip-up front sight, QD sling swivels
Tech-Mods: APE Board E-Grip, 12'' Lapco barrel, APEX tip, Straightline barrel set, squishy paddles, QEV, red power tube, red dot sight
Propellant: HP System /w remote, 68/4500 Backup Propellant: HP System, 48/3000

#3 Guest_Woodland Warrior_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:15 AM

No. He would be like a Hammer, just without the 2 guns.

#4 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:01 AM

I actually think that in many cases the heavy gunner position is overkill. In most cases, a couple of med rifleman can supress the OpFor plenty. But in a very large scenario, having the ability to have just one guy hold down an entire treeline would be beneficial. But also in those cases, you likely have a large team that has someone who can afford the big guns. Don't worry so much about positions and equipment requirements for such. Do what you can with what you have.

This post has been edited by I.K.E.: 15 July 2008 - 02:49 PM

"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#5 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:18 AM

View PostWoodland Warrior, on Jul 9 2008, 10:15 AM, said:

So, a Broadsword? But being mandated to use crap gear?

#6 User is offline   Cesh 

• nerd-shield dancer
  • PipPip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:30 AM

View PostWoodland Warrior, on Jul 9 2008, 10:15 AM, said:

So he'd be like a Broadsword, but with a bipod. It's about playstyle, not about gear. Gear & positions together are about marketing. Get that straight. :wub:

Location: Hamburg, Germany Camo Pattern: German Flecktarn Marker: Tippmann A5 Sidearm: 32 Degrees Delta .68 /w Picatinny rails
MilSim: VLTOR stock, Metadyne RIS handguard & M4 magazine, rail covers, flashlight, fake laser system, flip-up front sight, QD sling swivels
Tech-Mods: APE Board E-Grip, 12'' Lapco barrel, APEX tip, Straightline barrel set, squishy paddles, QEV, red power tube, red dot sight

#7 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:29 PM

Gear list in total-
A-5/98 Custom
14-16 inch barrel
Bipod
E-grip
Broadsword Vest
Lots and lots of paint
2 air tanks

uhm, that's just a broadsword with a bi-pod. I run with a BSword vest, and i can shoot a hell of a lot faster with my EGO than i could with an e-gripped 98c. The position should be based on play style and tactics, not gear loadouts.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#8 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:27 PM

yea a hammer without a double trouble is... well... just another paintball player with maybe a bit too much paint and air. sorry. and besides, it seems to me the topic poster is too intent on the aspect of a bipod making some kind of tactical difference.... well, if i put a camera tripod on my twins guess what... i have this position outgunned. +1 to hammerdom.

and besides, trying to get the effect of a a heavy gunner without the double trouble is like driving at night with only one headlight. sure you can see, but not as much as with that 2nd headlight... and you DEFINITELY notice the difference.
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#9 User is offline   Cesh 

• nerd-shield dancer
  • PipPip

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:17 AM

He could run an e-pneumatic marker with 30++ bps. Yells for Q-loader and ball chops, though. Or expensive paint. :(

#10 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:27 PM

but NOT field legally, or for more than a few seconds at a time.

this is my point.

DT- 30+ seconds of STRAIGHT firing without reloading, field LEGALLY with NO chop or feed problems.

single marker- 15 bps MAX field LEGALLY, and if faster, needs an expensive loader, and has to use very nice paint to prevent chops.

now i own an F8 Fusion, and shoot 25 bps with no problems whatsoever. but i use a magna hopper, and a 68/45 with it. yes is shoots like a buzz saw, but i would choose my DT over it ANY day of the week for support fire. now as a good close support or assault tool, i dont think it gets any better that the f8 or other electros, but for full tilt boogie, the twins are where its at. sorry to bust bubbles, but the math speaks for itself.

try this:
1,000 (with (2) 500 round hoppers on the twins) rounds, at 30 bps = how much trigger time?

33.3 seconds STRAIGHT at 30 BALLS PER SECOND field LEGALLY. that means in a 1v1 speedball game, all i gotta do is get you behind a bunker, and WALK to you while firing. i should still have PLENTY of ammo to bunker you with.

now, lets say the average hopper holds... 250 rounds. (and thats a bit generous).... at the same 30 bps.... 8.3 seconds of continuous firing time. enough to get to a bunker, shoot a little, and reload. sorry, but once you stop shooting, you're owned in this 1v1 scenario.

it is a decent idea, having a dedicated close support player with some heavy firepower, but the problem is that field legality is what will cut you off at the neck. 15 bos is 15 bps wether an ego, dm7, mini, tippmann, F8, pmr, ion, impulse, timmy, etc. is shooting it. some might be smoother in the action, more accurate, or more consistent, but it's still one barrel, one hopper, one air tank, and 15 bps. until you link 2 marker together, you will not achieve the firepower of a double trouble or a quadzilla. and there is the bottom line.

so in essence, the player you describe is a broadsword. one marker, loads of paint at 15 bps, and close covering fire.

what you're really wanting is the effect a hammer gives you, without the hammer part of it. sorry, it just doesn't happen. there is a big difference between a hammer and a regular player, and truthfully until you play alongside or against a good hammer, you'll never know what i'm talking about.

an average player will never see a double trouble or quadzilla in his playing career. so for them, i would say just do what you do. but i have seen the light, and i own a part of it. and as one with the light i can tell you that there is no comparison.

This post has been edited by Iron__Man: 14 July 2008 - 08:31 PM

#11 User is offline   PLAGUE's Short Bus 

• Forum ninja....screw that! Forum PIRATE!!!!
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:THE SHORT BUS

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:49 PM

wow, Iron Man is a true Hammer.
The PLAGUE...............Paintball Just Got Sicker!

At the end of the day, it's the guy with the most heart that wins.

#12 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:56 PM

View PostPLAGUE, on Jul 14 2008, 11:49 PM, said:

lol, well ive been over this argument ALOT in the hammer section of the forum. and ive been doin this for a while.

besides i forgot to mention somethign else... muahaha

the average player runs with a single marker, a 68/4500 tank, and 4-6 pods. PLUS 200-250 round on the marker

on average i carry 19 pods, 1-2 60/3000 cubic FOOT scuba tanks (single or linked) or a 20 POUND c02 tank. PLUS 1,000 rounds on the marker.

guess who's car is gonna run out of gas first. ;) :laugh: :happy:

#13 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

wow. I play with 100 rounds (pocket hopper and 5 10 round tubes) and a 9 ounce CO2 total. Pump FTW! ;)

:hawaiian:
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

#14 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:01 PM

View PostPLAGUE, on Jul 14 2008, 10:49 PM, said:

Yeah....Respect the man's passion. That, and he puts up a decent argument.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#15 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:48 PM

thanks, ike.

oh, one thing i forgot, if you do not have a hammer at your disposal,(wich lets face it, few do), 2 men working together will be alot better off than a single player with a radio working separatley or in conjunction to a team. i just realised this subject when i re-read the thread. the reason the hammer is so effective as a one punch KO is because i/we are usually supported by a MINIMUM of 1 other player. i feel most comfortable normally behind a squad of 3-10. more than 10, things get crowded, people get shot in the back of the head, etc. but the hammer is meant as an advancement tool. i can hold a position and provide enough cover for that sized unit to move up, while they are covering their OWN sides. i simply make sure whatever is directly in front is pinned... and pinned damn good. lol. that is a very unique feeling during a game if you havent had it yet. imagine having the security in your mind that in a few seconds, you will own whatever i am shooting at. all you gotta do is watch the sides. that is a very strong confidence booster.

that is the only true tactical weakness of the hammer, the lack of being able to tie up more than one bunker/building at a time. (that is why i came up with my 8-A-5, 200 bps marker/rig idea). 2 arms, 2 angles, 200 bps, 8 guns. the best part was that it was supposed to be classified as a pug tank, so only rockets could take me out, not regular hits. try and keep something that powerful and hard to kill from allowing a squad to absolutely pillage your base. all because now i can cover MORE than one bunker.

i do tout my hammerdom ALOT, but i have good reason. (i think i have proved THAT on here, lol), but for those of you without the asset of a crazok like me running around behind you, i would suggest that having a 2 man fire support team is the next best thing to one of me.... and THAT is also what makes a hammer so unique... i am able to put out the firepower of 2 players, while still freeing one player up. (if that makes sense). the angles are all important, as well as coordination betwene the 2 men, and the rest of the force. this is what makes support fire hard. coordination. the simpler a plan is ket, the easier and faster it is executed. AND THAT is what makes a hammer so great... the simplicity. instead of coordinating a bunch of people, which we all know is next to impossible during a hard hitting game, you yell at the fat guy in the back to open up... and voila, you own a bunker with a new coat of paint.

so take what you will from this, but remember the next best thing to firepower IS TEAMWORK.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users