• You cannot reply to this topic

a5 upgrades Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Angel7670 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Angel's Assassin

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:37 AM

I am going to purchase the saw kit for one of my a5s, but before I do, i wanted to upgrade it so it shoots at its best. can anyone offer suggestions on what to do, or purchase.

#2 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:34 AM

Barrel with a good paint to bore match
HPA, if u dont already have it
E-grip or Response Trigger
Squishy Paddles for the cyclone is good, but thats my personnal opinion
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

#3 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:22 AM

DRP did a nice job of responding IMO. There's really not much you can do to make an A-5 a great shooter, it is what it is.

The barrel would be the first thing I'd upgrade as well, pretty much any aftermarket barrel will likely be better than a stock. Though the newest A-5's claim to have a better barrel included, I've yet to see/read anything conclusive. If you have one of the older version A-5's though, that barrel is pretty much useless. Palmer's makes one of the greatest barrels I've ever shot, they are expensive but you get what you pay for.

HPA is a great upgrade for any marker, some require it. Assuming you can get HPA fills in your area, save some cash for a quality 4500 psi tank.

If you play at an established field you may or may not be allowed to use an RT or E-grip. I upgraded to an e-grip on mine because my field allowed it. I don't think I'd want to use an A-5 without it as the mech trigger pull is pretty heavy.

Cyclone upgrades are a weird thing. So many cyclones behave differently, some work well stock & some accept upgrades, still others don't like to work at all. If you do upgrade anything, the paddles should be fine.

I cheap (free) upgrade is to polish the internals. Check out Youtube for how-to's.

Please don't buy any bolt or power tube "upgrades".
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#4 User is offline   Angel7670 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:16 AM

View Postger, on 05 March 2011 - 11:22 AM, said:

DRP did a nice job of responding IMO. There's really not much you can do to make an A-5 a great shooter, it is what it is.

The barrel would be the first thing I'd upgrade as well, pretty much any aftermarket barrel will likely be better than a stock. Though the newest A-5's claim to have a better barrel included, I've yet to see/read anything conclusive. If you have one of the older version A-5's though, that barrel is pretty much useless. Palmer's makes one of the greatest barrels I've ever shot, they are expensive but you get what you pay for.

HPA is a great upgrade for any marker, some require it. Assuming you can get HPA fills in your area, save some cash for a quality 4500 psi tank.

If you play at an established field you may or may not be allowed to use an RT or E-grip. I upgraded to an e-grip on mine because my field allowed it. I don't think I'd want to use an A-5 without it as the mech trigger pull is pretty heavy.

Cyclone upgrades are a weird thing. So many cyclones behave differently, some work well stock & some accept upgrades, still others don't like to work at all. If you do upgrade anything, the paddles should be fine.

I cheap (free) upgrade is to polish the internals. Check out Youtube for how-to's.

Please don't buy any bolt or power tube "upgrades".

#5 User is offline   maniacmechanic 

• maniacmechanic
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MANIAC MECHANIC

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:00 AM

get a Mag or a Viking :dodgy: :rolleyes:
Hank Emery aka maniacmechanic
Team MIXXED BREED
port st. lucie fla originally from West (BG) Virginia
ALL I own are MAG'S , AKA's & a Pump or 2

#6 User is offline   Bone37 

• The Chicago 37th S.P.S. Heavy Gunner
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Bone37

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:59 PM

"Please don't buy any bolt or power tube "upgrades"."

I disagree. A new metal power tube and an after market front bolt with an internal O ring cant hurt.
Using a metal power tube will most likley make the A-5 louder, I have heard of the plastic power tubes
can sometimes crack and the bolt with an internal O ring will make the air only exit out the front of
the bolt. Also, something like a QEV (quick exhaust valve) and the upgrade to a better ratchet mechanism
for the cyclone will help speed it up.
Posted Image

37sps.com

#7 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:47 AM

Then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree :D. My personal experience & exposure, plus testing shows otherwise.

There have been multiple discussions regarding internal upgrades for the A-5. Tests have been done to show that many powertubes & front bolts don't markedly improve performance as the manufacturers may claim. In some cases the upgraded items were actually worse. Personally I've used a Rufus Dawg combo (got it in a package deal w/ other items I actually wanted) in my A-5 & noticed no difference at all, they were eventually swapped back to stock & parted out. My cousin wanted to upgrade his internals when he added an e-grip so he got the aluminum Red Hot tube (it was noticeably louder, which was fun) w/ their compatible front bolt, but had velocity issues the moment he put it over chrono. He switched them both back to stock & it worked flawlessly for years. If using CO2 in freezing temps, then an aluminum power tube could be useful, if you're lucky enough to have an A-5 that will accept one (unlike my cousin). Otherwise, many folks use CO2 w/ the plastic tubes without incident, if using HPA you should have no issues. Some peoples experience w/ them may be different though, many guys prefer to just replace w/ alum. so there is no chance of cracking. If it does crack, Tippmann customer service should replace it for free.

As for the Cyclone upgrades... if Angel is staying w/ a stock mechanical grip then they aren't going to do much, paddles will help w/ bad or brittle paint. If he's going w/ an E-grip or R/T then they could certainly be helpful. But again, every Cyclone seems to be different. Mine worked well enough w/ just a mech grip but I upgraded it w/ all the bells & whistles when I put an E-grip on. The Cyclone worked okay for a case or two but started having feeding problems shortly afterward. I took it back to stock except for the paddles & it worked fine for years. On the other hand, my cousin has his Cyclone all tricked out & it works great. Again, Cyclone upgrades are a weird thing.

I have no personal experience w/ the QEV, though I've never heard any bad things about it.

BTW Angel, welcome to the Forums! Glad you found us man. (Sorry I missed that earlier :blush:)

OT: Hey Bone, noticed your sig - how are the HydroTec balls in your experience?

This post has been edited by ger: 07 March 2011 - 12:05 PM

ger

#8 User is offline   Bone37 

• The Chicago 37th S.P.S. Heavy Gunner
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Bone37

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:05 PM

Well I guess the internal upgrades for the A-5 is a debatable topic.
I have had some issues with upgrades in the early days, the marker
would not recycle and other problems. It can take some adjustment to
get it working correctly.

As far as Hydro Tec goes I haven’t actually shot any yet
I will have detailed and in depth results as soon as I can, hopefully by the end of April.
However... I have touched and tasted them, they seemed to have little to no
difference in feel.
The fill is extremely different! Initially it’s a gel then when it hits and breaks it instantly liquefies
in order to spread out then re-gels just as quickly! !!!There’s no taste!!!
I will have more info on the way soon.

I have to get back to work, stupid job getting in the way of Paintball again

This post has been edited by Bone37: 07 March 2011 - 05:00 PM

Posted Image

37sps.com

#9 User is offline   Angel7670 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

[quote name='ger' date='07 March 2011 - 11:47 AM' timestamp='1299516441' post='2544903']
Then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree :D. My personal experience & exposure, plus testing shows otherwise.

There have been multiple discussions regarding internal upgrades for the A-5. Tests have been done to show that many powertubes & front bolts don't markedly improve performance as the manufacturers may claim. In some cases the upgraded items were actually worse. Personally I've used a Rufus Dawg combo (got it in a package deal w/ other items I actually wanted) in my A-5 & noticed no difference at all, they were eventually swapped back to stock & parted out. My cousin wanted to upgrade his internals when he added an e-grip so he got the aluminum Red Hot tube (it was noticeably louder, which was fun) w/ their compatible front bolt, but had velocity issues the moment he put it over chrono. He switched them both back to stock & it worked flawlessly for years. If using CO2 in freezing temps, then an aluminum power tube could be useful, if you're lucky enough to have an A-5 that will accept one (unlike my cousin). Otherwise, many folks use CO2 w/ the plastic tubes without incident, if using HPA you should have no issues. Some peoples experience w/ them may be different though, many guys prefer to just replace w/ alum. so there is no chance of cracking. If it does crack, Tippmann customer service should replace it for free.

As for the Cyclone upgrades... if Angel is staying w/ a stock mechanical grip then they aren't going to do much, paddles will help w/ bad or brittle paint. If he's going w/ an E-grip or R/T then they could certainly be helpful. But again, every Cyclone seems to be different. Mine worked well enough w/ just a mech grip but I upgraded it w/ all the bells & whistles when I put an E-grip on. The Cyclone worked okay for a case or two but started having feeding problems shortly afterward. I took it back to stock except for the paddles & it worked fine for years. On the other hand, my cousin has his Cyclone all tricked out & it works great. Again, Cyclone upgrades are a weird thing.

I have no personal experience w/ the QEV, though I've never heard any bad things about it.

BTW Angel, welcome to the Forums! Glad you found us man. (Sorry I missed that earlier :blush:)

OT: Hey Bone, noticed your sig - how are the HydroTec balls in your experience?
[/quo

Thank you to all with the get feed back, I am happy to be on here getting advice from fellow paintball lovers..any of you in south FLorida..

#10 User is offline   Angel7670 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:37 PM

thank you all for your feed back, its great to be able to chat with fellow paintballers...

#11 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

Somebody needs to get more familiar w/ how to reply :laugh:. Just kidding, here's a few tips...

If you just want to reply, go to the bottom of the page & start typing in the "Fast Reply" window. If you want to quote what someone else wrote either because you liked it or want to respond to them directly, you can click the "Reply" button in the bottom right hand corner of their individual post. If you want to quote multiple people you can click on the "MultiQuote" button in the bottom right hand corner of the various posts you want to quote, then hit the "Add Reply" button in the right hand corner below the last post of the page.

And your welcome for the replies so far. Any additional questions, feel free to ask. We are a community that enjoys helping each other out.

This post has been edited by ger: 07 March 2011 - 02:47 PM

ger

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users