• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do these names mean? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   kook 

• leet as the street
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:05 AM

I've heard people use the term "dagger", "saber", etc. What do they mean?
My SpecOps Feedback

Put This In Your Sig if You Work Long And Hard For Your Paintball Money
I support Mike and TechPb. Put this in your sig if you do too.

#2 User is offline   drumboy 

• Walk by Faith not by sight
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Drumboy

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:07 AM

What? is this joke... I guess not... Look under Specialopspaintball.com/articles
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.

#3 User is offline   SOLIDUS SNAKE 

• dislikes his own avvy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CORPORATE ASSASIN

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:07 AM

View Postkook, on Jun 12 2007, 01:05 PM, said:

I've heard people use the term "dagger", "saber", etc. What do they mean?

I think you're are serious so i will help :D

They are the names of the spec ops positions. When you go to the home page look for a tab that says positions, click it. I think it WAS my favorite thing about this site and it offers A LOT of good advice and playing tips.
RAP 4, We Make All Those Terrible Products Nobody Asked For - C-3
My feedback

#4 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:11 AM

SOP positions.

Check the link out. It'll exlain everything.

It kinda describes a person's style of play.

This post has been edited by slinkyaroo: 12 June 2007 - 10:12 AM

#5 User is offline   drumboy 

• Walk by Faith not by sight
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Drumboy

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:13 AM

You guys are alot nicer then me.
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.

#6 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:22 AM

View Postdrumboy, on Jun 12 2007, 01:13 PM, said:

You guys are alot nicer then me.

Well you're probably at that stage when you get tired of new members' posts and reading the same things over and over. After a little while longer here you'll realize it all part of the big picture and it won't go away.

Then you'll get to welcome them more. At that stage then todays newbies will be where you are now and beating up the newbies that join around October. -- and you'll be where I'm at.

Make sense?

#7 User is offline   P 1 IVI P 1 N G 

• Team Stealth Commander
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:P 1 IVI P 1 N G

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:25 AM

Those are the names used to describe the different SpecialOps positions. :D Slinky posted a good link, check that out. That should tell you everything you need to know.

-Andrew
Every time somebody shoots at someone who isn't wearing a mask, someone drowns a sack of puppies.
Every time somebody purposely overshoots someone, a dolphin is harpooned and eaten alive.
Every time somebody wipes, a family of bunnies gets run over by a Steamroller. That's why they have to reproduce so fast. Theoretically, that's how dinosaurs became extinct.

Team Stealth Official Site---HEMOG

#8 User is offline   CB-AARON 

• Yes, I like to pump...is there a problem?
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CB-AARON

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:59 AM

Keep in mind they are essentially useless. I believe that these "positions" are more detrimental to a beginning player then anything. They adapt their mind set to be the "ultimate saber" or whatever position they picked. They then buy all the gear that goes a long with the position and what not and ultimately hinder their ability to adapt to and learn the sport. You don't know how many times I've been on a field, asked a kid to do something like "take the right flank" and he complains that he can't because he's only a heavy gunner... Ridiculous.

I guess it's all brilliance in the mind of marketing, but in the realm of true paintball, it's a hinderence.
Aaron C.
A part of the 1st place Elite division SPPL team, Almost Famous
A proud Co-Captian of Team Natural Selection, and The Camo Bandits Scenario Team.
Sponsored by: Maddman, Stiffi, Tippmann, JT, Warsensor, and Underground Mod Shop
Whored Guns: 40 and counting

Buy My Dust Silver CCM S6 w/ Carbon Fiber Parts!

#9 User is offline   kook 

• leet as the street
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:16 AM

Thanks. I get it. There just names for positions. I was confused because I've heard people say "I made my gun a dagger". I thought it was a gun type and that got me all confused

This post has been edited by kook: 12 June 2007 - 11:17 AM

My SpecOps Feedback

Put This In Your Sig if You Work Long And Hard For Your Paintball Money
I support Mike and TechPb. Put this in your sig if you do too.

#10 User is offline   THE MENACE 

• /\ jewish rambo
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:THE MENACE

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:37 AM

it almost is a gun type. or rather, a gun genre. a dagger is usually light, a hammer is usually huge.

-THE MENACE

I'm a gun totin' scripture quotin' truck lovin' war shovin' meat eatin' liberal beatin' CONSERVATIVE!
feedback (+26/-0)---Team Chaotic Paintball is recruiting!!!---Team Chaotic Paintball.com---IMPORTANT INFO

#11 User is offline   GroovyMr1337 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Groovy

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:41 AM

View PostCB-AARON, on Jun 12 2007, 12:59 PM, said:

Keep in mind they are essentially useless. I believe that these "positions" are more detrimental to a beginning player then anything. They adapt their mind set to be the "ultimate saber" or whatever position they picked. They then buy all the gear that goes a long with the position and what not and ultimately hinder their ability to adapt to and learn the sport. You don't know how many times I've been on a field, asked a kid to do something like "take the right flank" and he complains that he can't because he's only a heavy gunner... Ridiculous.

I guess it's all brilliance in the mind of marketing, but in the realm of true paintball, it's a hinderence.

See, I totally agree with you man. See, I usually play Saber, right? And for a while I was sticking true to that, but when I realized that I wasn't flexible enough, I ditched all the names and at the start of every game I acted totally differently. For example, the other day I was mainly playing back, right? But when I was putting down covering fire and telling my team to move up, none of them did. So I just took off and ran all the way across the field to grab the flag, winning the game for my team. Good times.

If the person on the other end of your gun does not walk away from the game eagerly anticipating the next game because of your actions, you have failed as a paintballer. Put this in your sig to help spread the word.

#12 User is offline   Open Sights LLC 

• Open Sights, LLC
  • PipPip

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:47 AM

View PostCB-AARON, on Jun 12 2007, 01:59 PM, said:

I appreciated your post, CB-AARON.

I guess maybe I don't have enough gutts / understanding--as you do--to completely bash those positions, but I have often thought / wondered the same thing about those named positions and the need to have special equipment to play those special roles.

I have played a lot of paintball over the last 6 years, as I have been hosting large group paintball matches for youth groups and some adult group for those six year, and for the last three years, I have started an offical incorporated business to continue running a paintball rental field but to also start doing some retailing, as well. And with all of this experience of playing with various groups of different ages and skill levels, I have never seen those position emerge as specific roles as it is often spoken of on this forum.

But, I thought it was just my lack of understanding . . . and maybe that is exactly what it is. Who knows?!?

It is just refreshing to hear someone who is willing to step out from the crowd and share their thoughts . . . thoughts that, in this case, were thoughts that I was having, too.
Open Sights, LLC

"What is right is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right."

"Our job is simply to do what is right . . . and let God worry about the details."

#13 User is offline   jon_3 

• would you **** me? i would **** me hard!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:jon_3

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:00 PM

it all comes down to marketing

think about it if you create a product say xyz then create a group of elites that use xyz then you can stamp the letters xyz on anything and sell it for more thatn its worth

thats what the posistions come down to look at all the products special ops sells for there posistions.

why not just say im a paintballer dont label me
always the questions, never the answers

#14 User is offline   Open Sights LLC 

• Open Sights, LLC
  • PipPip

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:29 PM

This has been a good discussion . . . thanks for getting it started, kook.
Open Sights, LLC

"What is right is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right."

"Our job is simply to do what is right . . . and let God worry about the details."

#15 User is offline   Murdoc 

• Team Shockwave
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:MURDOC88

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:00 PM

True enough to the marketing strategy as it is an excellent move, but if you read the articles they do provide some good information for new players. In the end though they all say the same thing. Shoot the other team, Don't get shot, and if you are shot figure out why so you can repeat step 1.

I personally like the positions as it adds another element to the game, but only if the people playing have played paintball for a while and actually know that they fit the criteria for certain positions. Either than that it's just politics and marketing. :ghillie:
- Murdoc
- Team Shockwave

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users