• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New to the sport Just got my starting gear Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Oberon 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:03 PM

A buddy of mine just got me hooked to paintball and sold me his t9 longbow. I have a couple of questions about the t9 longbow and my buddy wasn't too helpful, with answering them.

1) Can the t9 longbow run on CO2 and compressed air. If it can run on both, which would be better?
2) Should I run a remote line on the t9 longbow?
3) How much would it cost me to set up a remote line on the t9 longbow?

#2 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:37 PM

Ok - so you are using 21 ball longbow magazines sold on Special Ops?

I don't own a Tiberius but I'll try to help:

Generally, HPA is a better option due to its better consistency, especially in especially hot or cool temperatures. HOWEVER, to my knowledge, the T9 remote line option is not great - it gets hooked into each "clip" on the bottom of the marker. However, since you are using longbow mags, you won't have a "need" to change out the Tiberius clips....

But since you only get 21 shots per magazine, it's probably not worth it to carry around a big tank... then again, you'll have to change out the clips with 12 gram disposable CO2s in them every so many shots (not sure how efficient these are).

Frankly, when using a longbow (or any clip-fed/limited paint marker), less is more. You want to avoid carrying a ton of weight/stuff you don't need.

An HPA tank and remote line would probably be a better choice if you set it up for hopper feed, though. NOTE: At the right temperatures, CO2 can get a good deal more shots for an equal sized tank than HPA can, but velocity of paintballs will not be quite as consistent. Plus, the faster you shoot, the more the CO2 cools.

Hope that kind of helped :huh:

#3 User is offline   Oberon 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

I forgot to mention that i have a llongbow magazine. I've been reading up on the pros and cons of CO2 and compressed air. My issue is twofold, one it still winter where I'm stationed in Alaska and I can more readily get compressed air over CO2.

I agree with the less is better approach, I'll probably just have to buy extra t9 clips so it's easier to swap out on ammo and air

Thanks for the help

#4 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:33 AM

Assuming summer weather, I'd speculate that it'll be really close to 1 12 gram per longbow magazine. You'll actually have more CO2 left, but it'll only be good for maybe 5-6 shots.

I get about 24-27 shots/12 gram with my T8, which is the exact same platform internally. I'm guessing the T9 longbow will be slightly more efficient as you're not popping the mag with the 12 gram in it out every time you reload (venting a small amount of gas in the process).

Find how you enjoy playing with it, and then go that route.

If compressed air fills are easier to come by then 12 grams or CO2, then go for it. You add more bulk (less desirable), but if it's the only way you can play, I'd take it.

I'd try playing with 12 grams only, since you don't need to buy additional gear for it. If you end up not liking it (or you find you need HPA due to availability), all you'll need is a remote line, an HPA tank, and a remote adapter for the T9 (which that part may well be included in the package if you got all the parts)

If you're really that set on playing outdoors in Alaska in March, well, you'll probably want to invest in HPA anyway. I understand winter paintball being from Minnesota, and generally I just go indoors. If that isn't an option, HPA for sure.
Member of Team Akkadian

#5 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kaosukoden

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:08 AM

I used my T8 (very similar functionality) during this past winter and I could usually get 3 full clips out of one 12g. It was close to 15 degrees when we played, so it was pretty freak'n cold. order in bulk and the shipping pays for itself. I got 100 12g's for $30 shipped from amazon. considering they're $15/25 at walmart, that's a really good deal. The other option, and I'm not sure if it was available for the T9, or just on the 9.1 but there's air IN stock. meaning you get yourself a 9 or 12 oz CO2 and it IS the stock. I've heard of ppl playing almost all day on one tank, and it's not an addition to any bulk what so ever. I know almost everyone i've ever played with, talked to, and just about everyone here on the forum will say HPA is better, but I've never seen enough of a difference to justify a larger/heavier tank for more money.

#6 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:52 AM

View Postkaosukoden, on 08 March 2011 - 07:08 AM, said:

I got 100 12g's for $30 shipped from amazon.

And they work well?

Link. Now.

(Sorry, my big gripe with the T8 has been its dependence on 12 grams and how the cost adds up since I already own HPA for other gear)
Member of Team Akkadian

#7 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:33 AM

View PostThalion, on 08 March 2011 - 08:52 AM, said:

View Postkaosukoden, on 08 March 2011 - 07:08 AM, said:

I got 100 12g's for $30 shipped from amazon.

And they work well?

Link. Now.

(Sorry, my big gripe with the T8 has been its dependence on 12 grams and how the cost adds up since I already own HPA for other gear)

Here ya go! It's gone up by $10. I've used about 70 of them and have had only one dud. I've contemplated contacting crossman and seeing how much to oder direct. But I haven't had a chance.

#8 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:23 AM

Thank you much.

Even at $40/100, that's still better than anything local.

If you hear back from Crossman, be sure to let us know.
Member of Team Akkadian

#9 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:58 AM

Oh, absolutly.

#10 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:20 AM

Welcome to the sport & to the forums! Glad you found us & hope you have a good time here.

Alaska huh... gets pretty cold up there doesn't it ;). CO2 certainly doesn't perform very well in cold weather, but you would mostly see drop off in velocity if you let off a string of paint, which I don't imagine you'll do much of w/ only 21 shots in the tube. In all honesty you should be fine w/ just the 12 grams, but I guess it depends how much paint you plan on shooting & how many mags you have. After a while swapping out the CO2 cartridges could get tiring, having additional mags would be a good solution. The idea behind the T9 Longbow design was to be able to shoot the 21 rounds in the Longbow mag + the 8 rounds in the T9 mag on one 12 gram. If you have only 1 Longbow mag there's no real need for more T9 mags, other than backup. Match the amount of mags & you should be good to go.

As far as running remote to an HPA... as long as you are keeping paint in the T9 mag then it would be a fine way to operate. The HPA will see no change in performance regardless of the temperature which is nice. But again, if you aren't slinging a crap-ton of paint at once then CO2 cartridges should be fine, plus you have the added bonus of "less is more" as c mentioned.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#11 User is offline   Oberon 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:54 AM

Yeah, since the end of February, its been a balmy 25-35. The other question I have is about the t9 magazine and the longbow magazine. When running with the longbow magazine and the t9 clip, is there any way to choose which magazine is used first? I'm hoping the weather will be accommodating this weekend for a couple hours of play.

A single 12oz cartridge should last for the entire 28 rounds based on a single shot fired every 6 seconds or so. As it stands now, if all else fails, I'll be that guy bring a a stock mini to play woodsball this weekend

Thanks for the help everyone, hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures and stats from this weekend

#12 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:13 PM

View PostOberon, on 08 March 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

The other question I have is about the t9 magazine and the longbow magazine. When running with the longbow magazine and the t9 clip, is there any way to choose which magazine is used first? I'm hoping the weather will be accommodating this weekend for a couple hours of play.

Yes.

The barrel is a twist-lock design. You can lock it into position for feeding from the magazine in the grip or from the hopper adapter (which in the longbow has been tweaked to be a longer magazine)

Just set it to whichever you want to use, and then when it's time to change it up, twist lock it into the other position. You can rotate the barrel by pushing in (towards the rear of the marker) and then rotating to the correct position.

A single 12oz cartridge should last for the entire 28 rounds based on a single shot fired every 6 seconds or so. As it stands now, if all else fails, I'll be that guy bring a a stock mini to play woodsball this weekend

Just to clarify - that's not a 12oz cartridge. It's a 12 gram cartridge.

Big difference.

And there is nothing wrong with playing with a mini in the woods. Various electropneumatics have become among the most popular markers at my home field, with the Mini being one of the most commonly seen. Don't fall into the "woodsball gun" versus "speedball gun" trap, they're all paintball guns (or markers if you prefer). They all do the same thing - use compressed gas to propel a paint-filled projectile with the intent of marking an opponent.

Use whatever is comfortable and works for you.
Member of Team Akkadian

#13 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:16 PM

The barrel twists to select between feeds.

An update on your experiences would be great, I look forward to hearing how it went for you. Have fun out there!

EDIT: Thalion beat me to it... darn me in my reading and re-reading.

This post has been edited by ger: 08 March 2011 - 12:17 PM

ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#14 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

haha, I've done it before ger... I am hopefully getting a T9 this summer for fall playtime. I'm fairly excited and I'd love to see how you like the T9. If you enjoy it, my recommendation is to upgrade it with the First Strike so you can have a clip or two of first strike rounds. My T8 is drastically better with the First strike rounds, and I'm sure the T9 will be as well.

#15 User is offline   Oberon 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:55 PM

View PostThalion, on 08 March 2011 - 10:13 AM, said:

View PostOberon, on 08 March 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

The other question I have is about the t9 magazine and the longbow magazine. When running with the longbow magazine and the t9 clip, is there any way to choose which magazine is used first? I'm hoping the weather will be accommodating this weekend for a couple hours of play.

Yes.

The barrel is a twist-lock design. You can lock it into position for feeding from the magazine in the grip or from the hopper adapter (which in the longbow has been tweaked to be a longer magazine)

Just set it to whichever you want to use, and then when it's time to change it up, twist lock it into the other position. You can rotate the barrel by pushing in (towards the rear of the marker) and then rotating to the correct position.

Just to clarify - that's not a 12oz cartridge. It's a 12 gram cartridge.

Big difference.

And there is nothing wrong with playing with a mini in the woods. Various electropneumatics have become among the most popular markers at my home field, with the Mini being one of the most commonly seen. Don't fall into the "woodsball gun" versus "speedball gun" trap, they're all paintball guns (or markers if you prefer). They all do the same thing - use compressed gas to propel a paint-filled projectile with the intent of marking an opponent.

Use whatever is comfortable and works for you.

Everyone i run with, uses tip 98's or A5's (IMO they are the ak47's of paintball) and i usually feel a little cheap bringing a howitzer to the field. The other players don't mind, but that's part of the reason i went for the t9 longbow

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users