Special Ops Paintball: Review: SpecOps Sabre Vest - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Review: SpecOps Sabre Vest Great vest...if you're a fat-DUMPER or can sew...

#16 User is offline   Stret 

• The Nativeness
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Stret

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:08 PM

Who buddy, dont be dissing the bigger people of the world.

But yeah, the vest is some what big on the little guys. But hey, thats what Cops911 is for :(

Just contact Brian (MOATI) and see what he can do for ya.
Native Style

We Think Our Sponsors Are Cool: Tippmann(X7) l Crossfire Tanks l Smokin' Products l Coca Cola: Grand Rapids, MI

#17 Guest_MOATI_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:11 PM

Actually....that's not even close to adjusted as small as it will go. You can continue to adjust the shoulder straps even with the molle strips on them. It takes a little time but it only has to be done once and then left there (unless different size people take turns with the vest.

The one limiting factor on the adjustments is "around". You need 18 inches on the back to fit six pod pouches. Add in another 8 inches per side and the hardware and you need to have about a 36-38 inch waist in order for the Sabre to fit tight in the front. The Dagger is 6-8 inches smaller than that.

#18 User is offline   Zenin 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Zenin

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:16 PM

View PostMOATI, on Jun 16 2006, 03:11 PM, said:

Actually....that's not even close to adjusted as small as it will go. You can continue to adjust the shoulder straps even with the molle strips on them. It takes a little time but it only has to be done once and then left there (unless different size people take turns with the vest.

It's as small as it will resonably go without modification (the strips don't move through the clip well at all). I cut off four or five on both sides and now the straps fit much better. I still have to wonder who they designed this thing for...they leave enough extra strap to fit someone in the 400lbs range...

The one limiting factor on the adjustments is "around". You need 18 inches on the back to fit six pod pouches. Add in another 8 inches per side and the hardware and you need to have about a 36-38 inch waist in order for the Sabre to fit tight in the front. The Dagger is 6-8 inches smaller than that.

That's pushing it honestly. With a 34" waist it still had six full inches left to close at the tightest strapping, which puts the smallest waist this fits out of the box at 40", not 36", a huge, huge difference.

That said, I removed the front clip and added in a zipper between the two vest fronts (thus losing those last 6" of waist from the clip). It now fits perfectly. I'll post pictures when I can find my camera again.

It would be nice if SpecOps actually noted the real size range these things can fit. To hear their marketing description, this is a "one size fits all adults". 5'8", 165 lbs, is a healthy med sized adult male (actually slightly overweight) and this vest doesn't come close to fitting. The fact remains that this vest, out of the box, simply does not fit anyone with smaller then a 40" waist and weighting over 250-300 lbs. That's hardly, "one size fits all adults".

Yes, with major modification it can be made to fit someone of a normal height and healthy weight (I just finished modding mine, and do like it a lot)...but a product like this shouldn't require major modification for acceptable use.

This post has been edited by Zenin: 21 June 2006 - 01:20 AM

#19 User is offline   SubMiler 

• Pistolero
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:30 PM

Good thing I read this... I would have hated to have gotten the vest and found it doesn't fit me... And I'm 6'2 and 138lbs!

This post has been edited by SubMiler: 20 June 2006 - 06:31 PM

#20 User is offline   hellfire666 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:hellfire666

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:38 AM

Yes THANK YOU very very much. I was considering buying one of these, and i'm glad i didn't, i'm a little over 6' tall and weight around 135, but i have a 28 inch waist, so i would've looked completely ridiculous in one of those vests, lol, i can see it now. Thanks again.
9 out of 10 teens listen to rap. If your one of the few that stay true to metal, put this in your signature!

GO JUDAS PRIEST!!!!!!!!

If your parents do not buy you your gear, put this in your sig.

#21 User is offline   Ruckus Fox 

• Cutie! ^-^
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ruckus Fox

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:19 PM

Yikes. I'm about the same as you (only lighter.)

5'7" and 135-140lbs. I'm a theater geek too, so I suppose I would be able to fix one...but I was more interested in a dagger vest...Hrrm...I suppose Spec Ops makes you buy your own pods too, huh? ;x

--Ruckus

#22 User is offline   Damasta 

• Midnight Raider
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:jon

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:37 PM

View PostMOATI, on Jun 16 2006, 03:11 PM, said:

Thank you for clearing this up. I am 5,5 and 120lbs and this vest fits me great. You just have to adjust it all the way. I will say again, just tighten it all the way and tighten the elastic belt all the way and i will fit you fine.
IPB Image
Proudly sponsored by: QLoader | COPS911 | Undertakers Paintball | Paint and Air Sportz | Paintball Alliance
IPB Image

#23 User is offline   Zenin 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:11 AM

View PostRuckus Fox, on Jun 21 2006, 01:19 PM, said:

Yikes. I'm about the same as you (only lighter.)

5'7" and 135-140lbs. I'm a theater geek too, so I suppose I would be able to fix one...but I was more interested in a dagger vest...Hrrm...I suppose Spec Ops makes you buy your own pods too, huh? ;x

--Ruckus

Yep, pods not included. I'm using Q-Pods in mine so it wasn't an issue for me.

#24 User is offline   Mitch Force 

• [l__(CRAYOLA)__l]>
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:57 PM

i don't get why they don't just do 4 pods then 2 mroe elastic bands to make it smaller... then again you never know

#25 User is offline   Zenin 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:36 AM

View PostMitch FØrce, on Jun 23 2006, 01:57 PM, said:

i don't get why they don't just do 4 pods then 2 mroe elastic bands to make it smaller... then again you never know

That's effectively what the Dagger vest is.

I thought about the Dagger vest, but I couldn't find any confirmation if it has the elastic belt or not, and I prefer the larger front pockets of the Sabre.

With a zipper down the front the vest is fine on me now (33" waist). If you're not handy with a sewing machine COPS911 could probably do the same thing for not much extra.

#26 User is offline   commander mike 

• the door is locked now but its open if your true - Metallica
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:commander mike

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:33 AM

put the belt through the side opening so the belt is on the outside of the vest then put the vest on and tighten up the belt on the outside this helps keep the lower front of the vest more tight
Posted Image
Friends dont let friends shoot .50 cal... - The Stuntman

#27 User is offline   nothing.fortune 

• phantom in the dark
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:nothing.fortune

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:55 PM

i had/have the same problem with my generation 1 recon vest(ughh bought right before the new ones) although i am pretty small(110lbs 5" 9') its a decent fit but the side straps are a pain and im having problems running with it with a full load of paintand air, its too the point where im tempted to put some foam or something where the hydro pouch would otherwise go.

cuse i cant sew
what is a barrel tag? what is a barrel tag you say? Its when you have decided to perform the woodsball equivalent of slitting their throat. Of course it's a kill.

#28 User is offline   Whiskey Rain 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Whiskey Rain

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:37 PM

I spent 3 years in an anti-terrorism unit(FAST CO) in the Marine Corps were we used high quality equipment such as Blackhawk and London Bridge and I can honestly say that this vest stands up to the standards of other “high speed” tactical companies. You can tell right off the get-go that the designers spent time developing this vest, as I have come to expect from SpecOps. I am a man of details and this vest has the craftsmanship that made me feel that my 125 dollars was well spent. All the way down to the heavy duty zippers, double stitching, and emblem engraved buttons this vest has met my needs and far surpassed my expectations. Chalk another one up for SpecOps.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users