• This topic is locked

Paintball mortar

#1 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:BIGBOSS_202

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:44 PM

I was thinking. I've seen mortars that shoot those foam footballs and that's all good but, wouldan't it be intresting to have one that fires Fat Boy grenades? The concept is to give a team an anti-personel capacity wile in a game. With a system that launches indirect fire that marks the other team. For those of us that do sniper work, it's a new means to lay the hurt on the OPFOR by adding the skills of a foward observer.

Something like this could be an interesting concept. Your thoughts?
JOIN THE WOODSBALL REVOLUTION

#2 User is offline   CMDR Cronus 

• Deathknights Commander
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:CMDR Cronus

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:23 PM

my buddy is a mechanical engineer and actually built one. He loaded it with paintballs, and it worked somewhat. depending on the field though just using the foam footballs count as hits too though. I like the concept, I just don't know how practical it really is.
[size="4"]A Strong man defends himself, a stronger man defends others.

#3 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:56 PM

CMDR Cronus, on 09 June 2011 - 01:23 AM, said:

my buddy is a mechanical engineer and actually built one. He loaded it with paintballs, and it worked somewhat. depending on the field though just using the foam footballs count as hits too though. I like the concept, I just don't know how practical it really is.

I'd say that it has it's merits to an extent. The idea of it lobbing Fat Boys is a nice touch in my opinion because the other guys may think someone is tossing grenades.

#4 User is offline   Nameless Wonder 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Nameless Wonder

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:18 AM

Check with SSBlackAngel--he's made several mortars, AT guns, and others.
Posted Image
"Humans were made to fart around on this planet, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise."
-Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Scientology is a cult. Suck it.

#5 User is offline   Supergyro 

• Ain't He Great, Folks?
  • PipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:01 AM

Mortars are cool, but I sure wouldn't wanna be hit by one.
Posted Image
"Of course you know, this means war."-Bugs Bunny
"My friend got killed by a throwing star but I live because of DEagle."-Thalion

"The visible spectrum is...RAINBOWS"-Pirate

#6 User is offline   Scavies 

• DIY Extrordinaire
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Valjean

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:17 AM

CMDR Cronus, on 09 June 2011 - 12:23 AM, said:

Making a mortar that fires paintballs will have more of a demoralizing effect, since it is impossible to actually hit somebody with one.

Remember, we run into a problem that is terminal velocity. A human body in freefall falls about 150 f/s. A paintball is less dense, likely has higher drag, and a lower mass. Therefore, it will fall more slowly. What happens when you get it by a paintball going under 200 f/s? It doesn't pop, therefore it is impossible to hit someone with indirect paintball fire.
FREE stock picks and market analysis by a self-taught day trader!
TradersBase.com

#7 User is offline   dextonik 

• Grrrrrrr, ARRRG
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:dex.

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:19 AM

I saw a guy at D-Day 08 who was making a sort of mortar round that used a 12 gram and launched paintballs 360 degrees. I can't think of the name of it. Nor can I find anything on it. It had a striking pin which punchered the 12 gram when it hit the ground causing the paintballs to launch in all directions simultaneously. Anybody know what I'm talking about?
If you can't hack it, then I suggest you pack it!
I'm on it like white on rice, with a glass of milk in a snow storm.
Doesn't matter what gun you have, as long as you can hit what you're looking at.
Procrastinators of the world unite...TOMORROW

#8 User is offline   archanglmikel 

• He is like fire and ice and rage....
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:archanglmikel

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

The problem is that the indirect nature of mortar fire breaks the no blind fire rule most fields use. Plus a paint grenade striking at that kind of angle can rip a mask right off a face. Not good...

southeast brigade patches coming soon! Archanglmikel's feedback
Avatar made by my wife...please ask before you take...or she'll be forced to use her Freeze Ray.

#9 User is offline   Pyrate Jim 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

Some years ago I built a grenade launcher for the Squadbusters.
It was a T-stock on a diving speargun, but instead of the spear it had a small open box that rode along the rail.
Pull the box back to latch on the trigger, hook up the bands and put a grenade in the box. When the box hit the end of the rail it would stop and slide back but the grenade just kept on going & going & going...
Using 3 rubber bands, it could throw a paint grenade almost the length of a football field.

I never got to use it it a game.
That grenade coming down out of the sky could knock a man off his feet, straight-on shots could topple a plywood cutout at the target range.
It was never considered safe enough to actually use, but it was fun to show off.
CT co-ordinator, Paintball Marshals
http://www.pbmarshals.com/
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6

#10 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:23 PM

terminal velocity for a human being is around 200 km/h, not 150 fps
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

#11 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:12 AM

A small dragchute on the grenade might work. The only issue with that is that the projectile would have to have enough hight and speed to deploy it. Aside from that, if it dosen't open, it come down hard and fast.

#12 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

Mike & Jim have both mentioned the notion that launching a paint grenade is a generally unsafe practice (I'm sure this has been discussed in past topics). I believe you play outlaw don't you Boss? If that's the case then feel free to do it as long as everyone is okay w/ it, but I still wouldn't suggest it. As for a legit field w/ insurance, you'll likely not find one that will allow it for in play use... maybe lunchtime entertainment though, lol.

Our field has used indirect mortar fired Nerf rounds to eliminate players, as recently as this weekend during the beach assault at a D-Day scenario (pardon me, "Day of Days" scenario, since a certain park has somehow managed to copyright the use of "D-Day" when used for paintball purposes). Depending on the scenario, shoulder-fired Nerf launchers being allowed to eliminate bunkers/rooms of people are sometimes in the rules - most games they are used for just tank elimination only though.

I think "grapeshot" has been used at our field but not while I was there & hasn't been used in a long while, it just wasn't effective.

This post has been edited by ger: 21 June 2011 - 11:32 AM

ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#13 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:49 PM

ger, on 21 June 2011 - 02:29 PM, said:

Mike & Jim have both mentioned the notion that launching a paint grenade is a generally unsafe practice (I'm sure this has been discussed in past topics). I believe you play outlaw don't you Boss? If that's the case then feel free to do it as long as everyone is okay w/ it, but I still wouldn't suggest it. As for a legit field w/ insurance, you'll likely not find one that will allow it for in play use... maybe lunchtime entertainment though, lol.

Our field has used indirect mortar fired Nerf rounds to eliminate players, as recently as this weekend during the beach assault at a D-Day scenario (pardon me, "Day of Days" scenario, since a certain park has somehow managed to copyright the use of "D-Day" when used for paintball purposes). Depending on the scenario, shoulder-fired Nerf launchers being allowed to eliminate bunkers/rooms of people are sometimes in the rules - most games they are used for just tank elimination only though.

I think "grapeshot" has been used at our field but not while I was there & hasn't been used in a long while, it just wasn't effective.

Their is also the concept of it being used just as an anti vehicle deal if it's just those being targeted. Like a Twisted Metal thing lol. That would only be if it's safe for that. For the record, I play alot of outlaw, yet I do head to a regulated area from time to time when I can afford it.

#14 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:55 PM

dextonik, on 09 June 2011 - 12:19 PM, said:

I saw a guy at D-Day 08 who was making a sort of mortar round that used a 12 gram and launched paintballs 360 degrees. I can't think of the name of it. Nor can I find anything on it. It had a striking pin which punchered the 12 gram when it hit the ground causing the paintballs to launch in all directions simultaneously. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

I can't remember the name either, but they were essentially lawn darts. Totally unsafe, worse than useless (A teammate of mine got a 'sponsorship' from him and got one of each design, and they chopped like a blender), and heinously expensive-not to mention that, after throwing them, you'd never, ever see them again. Absolute junk.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users