Special Ops Paintball: Accuracy: what really makes a difference? - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Accuracy: what really makes a difference? Difference in a $200 gun & a $1200 guns accuracy? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Kontract Killa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Kontract Killa

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:00 PM

OK, this is gonna sound real......newbish, but its been killing me to know. What makes one gun so much better than the other? People bash Tippmann and BT because their guns are "innacurate" or "cuz they suck". So, what makes accuracy, and what makes a gun "Not suck"?

Im being serious. I want to know how i can make a Tippmann A5 with Barrel A shoot like an EGO with the same barrel. Or 98C with barrel C shoot like a Closer with the same barrel on it

What makes one gun so much more accurate than the other, if they have the same barrel?
The Free 19th.

#2 User is offline   Scouting Sniper 

• Sniper
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:emerald.kontact

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

Maybe something to do with the consistency of the co2/hpa?

I honestly don't know, and have been wondering the same thing.
Christian 'Baller

If you are under 16 and pay for your own gear, put this in your signature.

Furtim, Patientia, Veneratio

#3 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

Here's the main concerns behind accuracy:

1. Consistency of marker -- how often can you shoot exactly the same FPS (or if not the same, how small a variation as possible)

2. paint/bore match -- how well do they match at the "ideal" (some say exact match, some say overbore. Just experiment and find what works for you)

3. Quality of paint - how round is it, how consistent from ball to ball in the case, freshness of paint, etc.

So, a Tippmann is primarily less accurate than another marker due to less consistency over the chrono (factor 1).

Other reasons why someone may want a marker other than a Tippmann are efficiency (how many shots off a tank of given size), ROF, lighter weight, etc.

It all comes down to personal preference, aside from the 3 factors listed above.

EDIT: As far as your question, you'll never get an A5 to shoot like an EGO - the blowback design just isn't that capable of the same level of consistency.

I'm not saying Tippmanns are bad per se, but the quality has recently been poorer than in the old days. I don't like the cyclones for that very reason -- too many moving parts with poor QC.

This post has been edited by Thalion: 11 May 2009 - 06:12 PM

Member of Team Akkadian

#4 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:10 PM

not so much accuracy as consistancy.
The valve system in a A5 or a 98 is like a Cave man throwing a spear Versus the Ego which would be the soldier with the assult rifle.
Yes they both can kill. although the soldier knows every time he pulls the trigger the bullet will travel the same distance at the same velocity.

While the cave man has to hope is arm doesnt get sore.

but other then that the largest difference in price tends to be three factors.

1. Quality.
2. Name Brand.
3. Technology.

#5 User is offline   slowerpig81 

• This man is a Beast with that Phantom. -thisissparta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:slowerpig81

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:16 PM

Well, you should be able to get very close accuracy between 2 guns with the same barrel and paint. However, while high end guns may seem overpriced, you get what yo pay for. One thing that is mostly true is that lower operating pressure guns can be nicer on paint, especially brittle paint. However, there are many factors that contribute to this and it is not easy to be able to attribute a barrel break to a single factor.

But, there are better guns and designs than blowbacks out there for the same price. With a low operating pressure, you generally get a quieter shot. Also, guns without a large hammer or reciprocating mass shoot very smoothly. It can take hours to explain why people pay for high end guns, but there are good reasons to throw down up to a grand for a gun. Of course, most guns that are more than $1000 will be under that a year after they are released, but that's what you pay to be on the cutting edge.

Guns do not have to be high tech to be expensive. Some examples of this include Carter Machine and CCM, which produce guns on designs that are more than 20 years old. However, these guns are hand assembled by only a few people (in this case 1 and 2 for each shop) and made to very low tolerances with high quality materials. Both shops produce pumps, and with pumps quality is easy to feel because you operate the guns, there is not a machine doing it for you.

Anyway, if you are looking for a gun that shoots paintballs and doesn't fail often with minimal maintenance, a blowback is fine. If you are a person with the cash to spend and want a finely engineered and tuned precision machine that looks great to boot, then go high end. Personally, if I had the money, I would be the owner of a CCM and probably a Matrix or Automag. But, I don't have that money yet, so I settle with a gun that is med-high quality and a very good value, the Phantom. CCI has been making the same basic gun for more than 20 years, with only minor changes and improvements over the years, so Mike can streamline his process and keeps costs down.

#6 User is offline   Kontract Killa 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:32 PM

View PostThalion, on May 11 2009, 06:07 PM, said:

Here's the main concerns behind accuracy:

1. Consistency of marker -- how often can you shoot exactly the same FPS (or if not the same, how small a variation as possible)

2. paint/bore match -- how well do they match at the "ideal" (some say exact match, some say overbore. Just experiment and find what works for you)

3. Quality of paint - how round is it, how consistent from ball to ball in the case, freshness of paint, etc.

So, a Tippmann is primarily less accurate than another marker due to less consistency over the chrono (factor 1).

Other reasons why someone may want a marker other than a Tippmann are efficiency (how many shots off a tank of given size), ROF, lighter weight, etc.

It all comes down to personal preference, aside from the 3 factors listed above.

EDIT: As far as your question, you'll never get an A5 to shoot like an EGO - the blowback design just isn't that capable of the same level of consistency.

I'm not saying Tippmanns are bad per se, but the quality has recently been poorer than in the old days. I don't like the cyclones for that very reason -- too many moving parts with poor QC.

Ill agree on the quality part.......im just so tired of people bashing the guns because they pick up one with a stock barrel, and expect it to shoot lazer beams.......

View PostEskimo, on May 11 2009, 06:10 PM, said:

not so much accuracy as consistancy.
The valve system in a A5 or a 98 is like a Cave man throwing a spear Versus the Ego which would be the soldier with the assult rifle.
Yes they both can kill. although the soldier knows every time he pulls the trigger the bullet will travel the same distance at the same velocity.

While the cave man has to hope is arm doesnt get sore.

but other then that the largest difference in price tends to be three factors.

1. Quality.
2. Name Brand.
3. Technology.

So how do i make Tippmann A shoot like EGO B? thats what im looking for.

View Postslowerpig81, on May 11 2009, 06:16 PM, said:

Well, you should be able to get very close accuracy between 2 guns with the same barrel and paint. However, while high end guns may seem overpriced, you get what yo pay for. One thing that is mostly true is that lower operating pressure guns can be nicer on paint, especially brittle paint. However, there are many factors that contribute to this and it is not easy to be able to attribute a barrel break to a single factor.

I own a PM6 i bought for like 350.00 two years ago, and it shoots just like the newer ones at the field. except they costed three times as much.

But, there are better guns and designs than blowbacks out there for the same price. With a low operating pressure, you generally get a quieter shot. Also, guns without a large hammer or reciprocating mass shoot very smoothly. It can take hours to explain why people pay for high end guns, but there are good reasons to throw down up to a grand for a gun. Of course, most guns that are more than $1000 will be under that a year after they are released, but that's what you pay to be on the cutting edge.

Guns do not have to be high tech to be expensive. Some examples of this include Carter Machine and CCM, which produce guns on designs that are more than 20 years old. However, these guns are hand assembled by only a few people (in this case 1 and 2 for each shop) and made to very low tolerances with high quality materials. Both shops produce pumps, and with pumps quality is easy to feel because you operate the guns, there is not a machine doing it for you.

Anyway, if you are looking for a gun that shoots paintballs and doesn't fail often with minimal maintenance, a blowback is fine. If you are a person with the cash to spend and want a finely engineered and tuned precision machine that looks great to boot, then go high end. Personally, if I had the money, I would be the owner of a CCM and probably a Matrix or Automag. But, I don't have that money yet, so I settle with a gun that is med-high quality and a very good value, the Phantom. CCI has been making the same basic gun for more than 20 years, with only minor changes and improvements over the years, so Mike can streamline his process and keeps costs down.

Im not looking at material quality. I know a Closer or Driod costs more to make and will be made better than a Tippmann, A PPS and Carter jobwill be made much better than a Tippmann. Im concerned with what makes it shoot right. What would make them shoot as close to each other as possible?
The Free 19th.

#7 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:42 PM

ugh....ok, listen up...

90% of your accuracy come from your paint-to-barrel match(P2B).

length, porting, material, CO2, HPA, Spool, Poppet, Nelson, Sheridan, what ever.......has little to nothing to do with your accuracy.

i have a Brass Eagle with a stock 6in Aluminum barrel, that i run with unregulated CO2.......when i shoot that thing with Stinger paint.....i can hit the backside of a flee at 100ft.

why so accurate you say.....because the P2B match is PERFECT!.....god him self could not make a better match.

i shoot the same paint out of any of my other markers (PGP, Ion, 98C, Maverick), i get acceptable accuracy....but nothing compared to the BE.

#8 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:46 PM

If you want an A5 to shoot like an Ego or other high end gun you need a regulator, good paint, and a good barrel. But a regulator is the biggest thing. But accuracy isn't the only reason that an Ego9 costs $1,300.

View PostCesar, on May 11 2009, 08:42 PM, said:

No, it's really not.

#9 User is offline   Kontract Killa 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:50 PM

View Postghost93, on May 11 2009, 06:46 PM, said:

If you want an A5 to shoot like an Ego or other high end gun you need a regulator, good paint, and a good barrel. But a regulator is the biggest thing. But accuracy isn't the only reason that an Ego9 costs $1,300.

No, it's really not.

Well please, tell me what makes up 90% of the accuracy
The Free 19th.

#10 Guest_Cesar_*

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:51 PM

View Postghost93, on May 11 2009, 09:46 PM, said:

No, it's really not.

i beg to differ.....

true, a reg helps....but it isnt going to make a crappy marker shoot good.......
...a reg only helps to flatten out the difference in FPS......unless your playing in extreme heat/cold with CO2....your only going to have an FPS of + 10.......which may sound like a lot, but its not enough to make a HUGE difference in accuracy.

where as if you have a crappy P2B match.....the paint is going to be bouncing around in the barrel, leaving the ultimate trajectory unknown, incalculable and inconsistent.

#11 User is offline   Kontract Killa 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:53 PM

View PostCesar, on May 11 2009, 06:51 PM, said:

View Postghost93, on May 11 2009, 09:46 PM, said:

No, it's really not.

i beg to differ.....

true, a reg helps....but it isnt going to make a crappy marker shoot good.......
...a reg only helps to flatten out the difference in FPS......unless your playing in extreme heat/cold with CO2....your only going to have an FPS of + 10.......which may sound like a lot, but its not enough to make a HUGE difference in accuracy.

where as if you have a crappy P2B match.....the paint is going to be bouncing around in the barrel, leaving the ultimate trajectory unknown, incalculable and inconsistent.

So say i put one of the higher priced SLY kits one an A5, and matched it to the paint i was using. would it shoot decently or am i wasting my money?
The Free 19th.

#12 Guest_Cesar_*

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:55 PM

View PostKontract Killa, on May 11 2009, 09:53 PM, said:

So say i put one of the higher priced SLY kits one an A5, and matched it to the paint i was using. would it shoot decently or am i wasting my money?

as long as the P2B match is good, it will shoot great.

This post has been edited by Cesar: 11 May 2009 - 06:58 PM

#13 User is offline   Mitch Force 

• [l__(CRAYOLA)__l]>
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

I think a lot of it comes down to feel. My EGO8/9/GEO feel like its an extension of my arm. I can shoot without looking and still hit NEAR where I'm aiming. They also shoot a lot smoother, a tippmann has a choppy feeling because of its blow back system.

By the way, I like these threads you've been making.

#14 User is offline   mtaylor 

• Lacking Creativity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mtaylor

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:18 PM

Here's the simple answer-You can't make a blow ack shoot as nice as a high end. It's not even in the same league. Bore match is overrated, my .695 deadlywind is just as accurate as my .689 UL and my .693 Shaft 3 with whatever paint. Consistency is the biggest factor.

<Insert Sig Here>

#15 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:27 PM

The paint/barrel match has been covered. But do you know what makes the BIGGEST difference in accuracy? Practice, patience and aiming.

But this is paintball and we all know accuracy is bought not taught. Right?
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users