• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How it all started How you started paintballing Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   methusaleh 

• Living the life
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:29 PM

Taking the chance to drop a few names in case anyone knows the family...PM me if you were close friends or if you might know me...

The person who got me into the sport was allegedly one of the fathers of the sport, the late James "Skip" Dower. According to the story he told, he was there when the idea of shooting dye-filled balls at people was first thought of when he lived in New Hampshire a few years earlier and they used Nelspot-like devices to mark trees for logging. The company he worked for at the time I knew him was Roy Brothers, which may or may not have been the company to allegedly allow its employees to shoot each other with the dye balls.

When I was a young 'un, I went to school with his son Jerry, who mentioned paintball to me a few times, but I never went and never played for months. Somehow he convinced me to play with them one day, and I did, and lo and behold, here I am some 21 years later still at it!

James Sr. and James Jr., and Jerry ran a field called The Game in Princeton, MA, until the early to mid-1990s. It is there that I played almost all of my first games until perhaps 1992 or so, when another local who frequented The Game opened up his own field, R&R Paintball, located somewhere near Millbury/Upton/Sutton, MA.

#17 User is offline   tubby ted 

• stick it to the man
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tubby ted

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:35 PM

well i had heard goog things about it, so i asked for a marker for christmas. I got one, (Brass eagle striker) and have been hooked ever since

This post has been edited by tubby ted: 26 January 2008 - 02:36 PM

"The speakers on the outside are a nice touch... soundtrack to the mayhem"-I.K.E
"Only someone too bloody stupid to tell the difference between a cat & a fish would ever join PETA anyway...." -The Stuntman
Music is like candy... You should always throw away the rappers
VIVA LA CHRISTMAS REVOLUTION!

#18 User is offline   Joey Skywalker 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:superstarwarsfan

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:58 AM

The first time I ever touched a marker was at an outdoors show thing. The rock wall was not working so instead I decided to try my hand at shooting target at a stand sponsored by a paintball field. I loved it. A few months later the place where I work had a paintball outing thing. I went along and have loved paintball ever since. :)
If it moves SHOOT IT. if you're somewhat sure he's not a ref SHOOT HIM. If he's on your own team and you're bored SHOOT AWAY!

Good topics you should read:Poll for Poll Jukie's I-II-III-IV-V -VI ALWAYS WEAR A MASK Make your own paint grenades Stay hydrated in-game Smoke grenades A new mask idea

G.R.O.S.S. club member #3

#19 User is offline   LoopyDood 

• Evacuate the Earth
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:47 PM

Let's see... Saw it on tv and decided that it looked fun. So I went to Sgt Splatter's in Toronto and loved it!

#20 User is offline   HYPESNIPE 

• your daymare
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:HYPESNIPE

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

waiting in an airport one of my dad's business buddies sons had a paintball magazine and he showed it to me. they looked awesome and i wanted to get a magazine. eventually though, my parents just decided to get a marker and let me go out and shoot, i've been addicted ever since.

98c Surgeon

#21 User is offline   Silentkill 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Nightsnipa

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:29 PM

Well alot of my friend were playing almost every weekend in 7th grade so I went with them one weekend with Tippmann Custom Pro E i had purchased. I was hooked now im in 10th grade and play almost every weekend every summer.

#22 User is offline   trevor 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:revortay

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:34 PM

I went over to my freinds house planing to play used is dads 98c... That was amazing my first day 2 on 1 having a classic shootout i was the 1 btw lol

Tippman owners group #35

#23 User is offline   Hells Punisher 

• Crazy Puppy
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:/Punisher\

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:02 PM

my freind got one for his brithday it was a little crappy pump his dad said we could take turns shooting it he went first shot about 3 time some more pepole went then my turn came shot it once and i new i was hooked. My first gun was a cheap green brass eagle that had a 50 hopper
If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
StealingYerMail - It probably is. But a small amount of OCD + bass player = better bass player
Sniper #38

#24 User is offline   theLizzard 

• I feel loved
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:theLizzard

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:14 AM

I'm going to turn this into a more of a "Why did you start playing" essay.

When I was younger, in my neighborhood we'd play war games with toy guns. Lazer Tag hit big in my neighborhood when I was 10. I remember running through the neighborhood at night watching for the oppositions' sensor lights. It was fun.

I got older. I'd heard about paintball many times in my teens and early twenties, but I assumed there were no fields near where I was living. I was wrong. An employee/friend of mine started talking about paintball at work. I told him I really wanted to try it out. I was 25 at the time, and I remembered the good times spent running around in fields and woods and back yards when I was younger.

I went out to the field. I rented some gear. I played. I don't remember much about that day, but I do remember the thrill of crawling through underbrush on my belly. I remember charging haphazzardly towards an enemy flag station. I remember getting hit and thinking it wasn't that bad. It was fun. It was just like being a kid again.

So I continue to play. It doesn't matter the format of the game. If I'm allowed to run and shoot, I'm happy. There's nothing like getting the blood flowing and the heart pumping to reassure you that childhood games don't have to be foresaken just because you grow older.
Good luck, Goldy.
ZombieAtak rules.
Z?
"Sometime from now you'll bow to pressure, some things in life you cannot measure by degrees"
"The nerd is an empire..." -Legato

#25 User is offline   ZombieAtak 

• Settle it the old fasioned way, first guy to die LOSES!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ZombieAtak

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:25 AM

A friend of mine had a birthday party when we were 14, and we played at a local field. I've been addicted ever since. Almost 27 years old now.
ZombieAtak's Feedback
2nd Place: Outdoor Adventures AFFM Tournament 10/19/2008
Most Valuable Team: OA, Bowie, MD; Battle of the Bulge V 12/14/2008; Kobra Kommand II 3/15/09; Coffee Wars III 6/14/09

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users