• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Painting my milled 98CP Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   fenrisx 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:24 AM

I already have a thread about the milling and everything going on, but I figured I'd post up a new one for the paint specifically; both to show the progress and to ask a few questions. Unfortunately I took these pictures with my camera phone because I did all of this at work where I didn't have a camera handy, so the pictures aren't that great.

To start off with I sandblasted the gun down to the bare metal. This worked out great, but it did have one down side. The sandblasting did eat away at the JBWeld epoxy I used to fill the hole that was left after milling the front grip off of the 98CP.

Posted Image

Once I had the completely sandblasted the gun I wiped it down with mineral spirits to clean it up some. Then I sprayed it with a can of Rust-O-Leum primer.

Posted Image
Posted Image

It says after spraying the primer you can lay down a top coat in just minutes, but I did wait about an hour or two before I started spraying the topcoat. For this I used Rust-O-Leum Hammered black finish.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm currently letting it dry the 48hour period it says on the can. Monday I'll be using a can of Krylon clear coat that I had lying around.

Now.. onto the questions!

I really like the Rust-O-Leum hammered paint, but it's more of a dark grey in color. Something I would describe as gunmetal I guess. I was really wanting just a black finish, but with some texture like the hammered. Now I'm not sure if I want to go ahead and lay down the clear coat, or sandblast it again and start over using just a regular black spray.

I think with the black grips, black BigShot barrel, and black picatinny rail that the hammered finish just looks out of place.

What seems to be a pretty popular paint for you DIY'ers on a budget? Krylon or Rust-O-Leum? I'm looking at just buying a flat black, or maybe a tan or OD color if I decide not to keep the hammered finish.

Also what clear coats do you find work fairly well(something that isn't going to cost over $10/can)?

I'll post up some finished pictures once I'm done!

Thanks

#2 User is offline   fenrisx 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:25 PM

looks good so far. :laugh:

As for you question on clear coats, a can of Krylon clear coat is less than $10 right? i dont remember paying a lot for it when I painted my gun. It's held up fine so far. I put 2 coats of the clear stuff on there.

Edit: if you want to end up with a flat black or OD or what have you, Krylon makes a camouflage series of paints that work very well. it's cheap too

This post has been edited by -SMITTY-: 08 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

#4 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:34 PM

Looks nice! It'd be cooler IMO if you did some accents in a brass/bronze color, kinda steampunk-ey.
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

#5 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

I like it. Nice work! Now, make a nice walnut foregrip.......
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#6 User is offline   fenrisx 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:22 AM

View PostI.K.E., on Feb 8 2009, 11:46 PM, said:

I like it. Nice work! Now, make a nice walnut foregrip.......

That would look really nice. I remember seeing someone else on here with a milled 98 with wood grips. I thought it looked really nice.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users