• You cannot reply to this topic

Spec Ops 2 Pod Tac Leg Pouch Olive Drab

#1 User is offline   Mulletar 

• Emasculator of the puerile
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Mulletar

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:39 PM

No pictures yet, but I can supply them if anyone really wants them.

I've had this pouch for a while, but only earlier today did I get to really use it and put it through its paces. I pretty much wore the rig all day and did just about every type of action you'd be doing in it. Here are my thoughts on it. For those of you who aren't sure what this is, here's the SpecOps store link: http://www.specialopspaintball.com/shop/pr...&CAT=104202

My play style varies a lot. I can go from (the usual) being incredibly conservative with my paint and only using short bursts for suppression and quick accurate snapshots for eliminations, to sending tons of paint down range and using a dozens of balls to get a single elimination. Usually at the end of the day I'll find I've only used up 600-800, unlike the guys next to me usually ends up emptying a whole case. When I started thinking about getting some quick and low-drag extra paint-hauling gear, I quickly ruled out pod packs as most of the ones I saw were clumsy and didn't make a whole lot of sense. That and they usually carried a lot more paint then I possibly needed, as a hopper typically lasted me a whole game.

Enter the SO 2 pod drop leg rig. Rather than carrying a large amount of pods in a pod pack, the drop leg rig holds only two pads tight against your thigh like a modern drop leg holster, making the pods (I use two SO 140rnd pods perfectly) very easy to get to and easy to stow away. It uses two long (long enough to accommodate large individuals) velcro straps to wrap around your leg, and a third strap with a velcro loop that secures to a belt and can be detached quickly with a fastex buckle.

As the store description says, it's perfect for people who like running light, or maybe even for someone who wants a little more ammo carrying capacity on top of their vest/pod pack. It's very low-profile and relatively easy to get used to running with, and if you configure it right it won't get in the way if you have to go prone.

Some cons:

Unfortunately, a problem I seem to have encountered is that you have to pull the velcro straps very tight to get the pack to where it doesn't bounce or wobble annoyingly while you run. After a while of running the velcro starts to loosen up and has to be reapplied in order to maintain tightness. If you do find yourself having to tighten it pretty hard to keep it firm, you might also encounter some annoyance and pain while trying to crouch and go to a knee. I can still feel a little bit of soreness on my leg from when I had to abruptly crouch down into a bunker and had to shift around awkwardly to avoid the straps digging into my leg.

I would also have personally preferred to have the two velcro leg straps be replaced with straps that have fastex buckles, as they would be easier to tighten, would better hold tightness, and would be easier to disconnect from.

All in all, it's a solid rig and very nice for bolstering the ammo in your pod pack or vest or providing a very slick low-profile ammo solution that's nice for short games or conservative players.

If I had to rate it I'd probably give it a very close 8/10.

If anyone has questions or requests or feels like I left something about, feel free to speak up.

94% of the people on this forum have an annoying statistic in their signature. If you think that's ridiculously stupid, or even if you're a part of the 0.5% that couldn't care less, put this in your sig.

#2 User is offline   Jonas 

• Woodsball? Sounds fun.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:H

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:13 PM

I just got the pod pack today and i'm sewing the part that attaches to your belt so the thigh attachments stay above your tender knee area. It should work pretty nicely if I do it right.
Yeah I use an M-16 grip, wanna fight about it?

Best webcomic ever.

#3 User is offline   Pzippy 

• Future Pope
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Pzippy

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:30 PM

Suggestion: Perhaps SO could use a belt-like cinch instead of velcro?
AO Search HEMOG

I WANT YOUR XBOX 360!

#4 User is offline   Jonas 

• Woodsball? Sounds fun.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:H

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:27 AM

I sewed the strap so it stays a certain length without sliding, and then I taped it really tight. It works, I put it on and ran around. The belt straps the main thing that keeps it from sliding to your knee.
Yeah I use an M-16 grip, wanna fight about it?

Best webcomic ever.

#5 User is offline   Vrysius 

• Fire breathing dragon?
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Vrysius

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:25 PM

please supply those pics you were talking about. I have been interested in getting this...

#6 User is offline   coywolf 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:coywolf

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:37 PM

Here is a photo of a drop leg rig from Under the Gun.
It attaches to an Interlock belt. I like the straps that attach it to the leg
better than the velcro straps on the Special Ops drop leg dual pod holders,
but the smaller UTG podholders that I have only hold 100 round pods.

Attached File  mini0348.jpg (16.17K)
Number of downloads: 18

This post has been edited by coywolf: 28 May 2007 - 01:42 PM

#7 User is offline   mrwaffles 

• Part time crazy person
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mrwaffles

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:51 PM

mulletar: I would love to see some pictures of the pouch on your leg and maybe one just showing some pods in it? Thanks much.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users