Special Ops Paintball: The OK D-Day AAR Thread - Special Ops Paintball

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The OK D-Day AAR Thread Post up your thoughts, concerns, compliments, etc. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:51 AM

Did a fast scan of this section and didn't see any "official OK D-Day thread," just some recruiting threads and a few random questions about D-Day.

None of which seemed appropriate to bring AARs into.

So, I figured I'd bring it up as a discussion thread.

Rules:

1. Don't bring up "I saw <such and such unit> wiping/playing on/overshooting/etc.!" There are simply too many players on that field for there to be no problems with cheating. That doesn't justify it, but know that the refs can't stop every single case. I will personally say I saw both Allied and German players do those things, and I saw refs take some of those players aside when they saw it. This isn't a one-sided problem, and calling out units only slanders the good people of the respective unit, creates animosity, and makes this game have more drama yet (something it really doesn't need).

Gameplay concerns that are major issues a ref staff could handle on a larger scale are fair game, as long as it's kept as neutral as possible - I know a lot of people have pride for their unit or for their side, and I want to keep any fighting away from here.

2. Try to post some good and some bad. There were some real problems out there, but there surely was some good too.

My Review:

The Good

The air filled to 4500 (at least, it did in the staging area, out in the dead zones it was about 4200). That in of itself is a major improvement. I got 4200-4500 consistently on fills, all day. For those of you who have gone to D-Day in the past, you know this is a big deal. Air has always been a weak point for them, but from my experience, it looked like they got it right this time.

I never had to wait excessively long for paint or air during the day, which was also a good sign.

The Bad

JT Paint was bad. As in, really bad. It shot ok for a little while, but after exposure to D-Day heat and humidity, it was a massive fail. I heard many reports of hopper jams. I saw a lot of paint bouncing throughout the day, as it was becoming squishy and dimpled rapidly. Accuracy was a joke because of these factors.

I can't say if that brand of JT paint is any good or not in "normal" conditions, but it certainly was not worth $65/case and certainly did not belong at OK D-Day. The Draxxus paint of years' past was far superior IMO.

I saw a couple of times in the day skirmishes happening way too close to dead zones. I know it's a game and things happen and all that, but I was under the impression both sides were to stay 50 feet or more away from dead zones (and if I am in the wrong, please, someone correct me). I know I was lit up when I was not seven feet from a DZ door, on my way out of the DZ for the insertion. The refs yanked our whole insertion back into the deadbox for the next half hour. We were not aware of the group near the DZ (perhaps 40 feet or so from the entrance, but closer to another side of the DZ netting); wasn't like we knew it was going to be an immediate, hot insertion.

I'm not accusing any group of anything (as again, pretty much all issues go both ways at times), but I would like to see staff at D-Day do a better job of keeping skirmishes away from the deadzones. There's always staff at a DZ, so it's an easy thing to keep an eye on.

That's my rough outline for now. I may add more as I reflect on it.

EDIT: corrected spelling

This post has been edited by Thalion: 15 June 2009 - 12:07 PM

Member of Team Akkadian

#2 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

• Commonwealth Expeditionary Force
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:DigitalPirate

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:05 PM

The Good
- Getting to see people off the forums

- Speedy air fill lines

- New bunkers and building at Colleville

The Bad
-Skirmishes near the dead zones as Thalion stated

-Confusion over the new Pegasus DZ and who was permitted to use it at a certain time

-Lack of ref staff with tanks and planes, on multiple occasions on both sides I saw players using tanks as moving cover from around 5 feet away, and planes stopping and acting like a stationary heavy weapon.

- Lack of attention as to where inserts were placed. I know after speaking with a couple guys from both sides, a lot of inserts were dropped right in the middle of a firefight or something to that extent.

-Paint Quality was really bad, hopefully they will improve on that for next year.

#3 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

I have the same complaints as Thalion and DP, although a quick note on the paint: JT uses this paint at a lot of other fields they sponsor, and it's usually fantastic. I've got a case of the exact same paint left over from Fall Castle, and, almost a year later, after the torrential rain at said Castle game and general abuse, the paint's still fantastic. I get the impression that this was an experiment to see how well the same blend would work for D-Day, and they got their answer: Not well. I'd expect to see a new, more OK-friendly blend next year.

Aside from that, I had a blast and plan to get to '10.

#4 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:26 PM

That does make me feel a little better (slightly) about the paint, knowing that it does work elsewhere.

I know in my area of the staging area, a common line was "it's glorified brass eagle paint," but everyone's experience was limited to that week.

I still have some left over I didn't get to use, I wonder how it'll hold up now that it's been exposed to better weather (still sealed in the bag, had tickets left over because I shot less at the beach than I thought I would).

This post has been edited by Thalion: 15 June 2009 - 01:26 PM

Member of Team Akkadian

#5 User is offline   protocoach 

• Is there redemption? No. No there is not.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:PROTOCOACH

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:16 PM

This is going to be my last D-Day. I'm just not having much fun at the game anymore. I started the morning with the same argument I've been having with the refs for three straight years regarding where Allied players can start on Utah. I spent the morning doing nothing but dodging the occasional long ball because the Allied tanks wouldn't roll up Utah, then got into a shouting match with a ref when he tried to reinsert us 20 feet in front of about 100 Airborne coming up behind us. I then wandered up Causeway 2 and spent another 2 hours sitting around doing nothing, as the Allied tanks continued to sit still. This game is too expensive for it to not be fun, and I've got better things to do with my time. This has been my one real big game for the last five years; I'm going to start going around to other games that aren't as big, but that are, by all accounts, much better run. I'm tired of having to follow the endless politics of D-Day; I liked Jeremy and Mouth and a lot of the German HC that resigned over their firing.

I don't mean this to come off as unnecessarily negative; I love the community of people we've built in the Panzerjagers, and this isn't sour grapes about who wins or loses. After all, we won this year, which I was thankful for, because it keeps it from seeming like I'm leaving in a fit of pique. But the community we built there was built completely separate from the game structure. I intend to continue my relationship with that group of people, but I'm going to do so without sending my money to Dwayne Convirs anymore.

EDIT: Just as a side note, one of the reasons I'm leaving is because the same complaints: issues with bad paint, understaffed referee crews, refs that aren't knowledgeable about the rules, so on and so forth have come up in every one of the five years I've now played. These things just don't get corrected.

This post has been edited by protocoach: 15 June 2009 - 05:21 PM

Oklahoma D-Day '05 (352nd ID), '06 (352nd PJ), '07 (352nd PJ), '08 (352nd PJ), '09 (352nd PJ). It was a good run.

#6 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

Guys...paint is as good as it is stored.

If you kept you paint sealed and out of the direct sun/heat then you would have had wonderful results.

Learned from many previous events I get my paint all at one so I can control the conditions it is stored in.

I did not have one jam, barrel break or any uncharacteristic bounces during use. And I was arring half a case of paint out at a time since I was sporting the Pinikio and four pods.
I will also say that I recieved my fair share of hits that broke at absurd ranges that normal recball paint would simply have bounced...that right there tells me that JT went out of their way to provide great paint for the event.
One of those hits was from the second story of a Colville building while I was walking the southern road between the allied insertion point and Omaha. One of the ACI boys saw me and pointe me out to the rest of the boys in there with him. He hit me in the forearm at what I guess to be 300'+ without the aid of a Flatty or Apex. It broke...took him a full hopper to hit me but the cheer I got from my arm going up put even a smile on my face...stupid 28 minute wait to reinsert though!

As usual I had an awful lot of fun. I have played now once as a Axis and once as Allied player. I have found great pluses to both sides as well as negatives. My big high point was playing a totally different part of the field this time as aposed to last. Felt like a whole different game this time!

Yes there was cheating that I witnessed. But I confirmed that it was just as bad from our side after talking with ACI.
Yes I saw poor sportsmanship...I was accused of breaking the rules when we engauged Germans in Cauhn after respawning right there. They said we could not, yet our ref told us it was fine...I have no idea who was truely right...but I tend to sid witht he guys in the Purple shirts who have been running the game far longer than I have been playing there!

One of my best moments...hooking up witha random baller who was with me in Cauhn when we were accused of cheating. After talking with the refs and confiming once again we could simply go out and start shooting we joined a huge group of 101st and flanked the area as far as we could befor firing.
I was walking point an made it further into the brush when the fighting started. I got low and ran as far as I could befor spotting targets. At that point I hit the dirt and waited.
Sure enough they tried to counter flank right into my line of fire. I timed my shots to their bursts and was able take three from the right before being discovered. They still did not have a true fix on my location and started to sweep the brush looking for me. laying on my belly offered a very little chance of being seen befor they stepped on me...but it also kinda worked against me!
I saw two guys not 20' out walking right at me...I took the shot and drilled em both. Befor I could think about my next move I was pummeled with fire! All right at my head. Waving and screaming finally stopped the hail storm...I stood up dripping paint to see I was actually face thirty or so enemy who just all decided I was not welcome any longer. After some hand shakes and affirmations that I was okay even with all those head shots I went back to the dead zone grinning. I welcomed back most of the force I went out with...we all seemed to enjoy our little romp even though we were systematically destroyed by overwhelming numbers.

Kudos go out to all the staff that work so hard for 12 months on this game. I have been privliged to sit and talk at length with some of them and their job is tremendously larger than most folks could ever imagine.

#7 User is offline   ok~hitman 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:ok~hitman

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:18 PM

Most of my unit is saying the air was great.

The paint was Wal Mart grade.

The lack of water on the field in most the dead zone I was in is inexcusable.

Most of the Ref's did OK, just understaffed.

Over all it was a great week of paintball.
OK~Hitman
Team Ironhorse Co-Captain
CSM 4th ID - OK D-Day

#8 User is offline   hsmaniac 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:HSMANIAC

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:45 PM

Surpriseingly, I did not have one break or jam, even though I pulled numerous egg shaped balls out of brand new bags. I shot about three cases and did'nt think it was worth the money. Other than that, this was the best time I've had at DDay. We defended Omaha for three hours and never let up. Then most of my boys and I took out all the allies in the treeline on the airfield and the causeway and held it till points over. The battle at Colleville was intense and I would'nt have missed it for the world! Shout out to all the Wichita/Edge Army and Bob Long troops, we kicked butt! I also want to give the 1st ID and commonwealth their due, they got pummeled and kept coming back for more!

#9 User is offline   Swaar Flitz 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:48 PM

i thought it was good. me and my friends went 1st id, and we got messed up bad on omaha. it seemed like taking omaha was impossible. i didn't like that very much, we didn't get any help from rangers or airborne. other than that impossible objective i thought it was awesome. it was my first time going and i had a lot of fun.

This post has been edited by Swaar Flitz: 15 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

#10 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:45 PM

View PostKrazy8, on Jun 15 2009, 07:17 PM, said:

Guys...paint is as good as it is stored.

If you kept you paint sealed and out of the direct sun/heat then you would have had wonderful results.

I did, and I had problems all the same.
Member of Team Akkadian

#11 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:04 PM

Maybe you were cursed due to the Greg Hastings pic....

That short little elfling lifted my likt while waiting for the parade...I think the guys behind me need psych treatment now....

#12 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• If we must die, we will die. but we will never yield.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HALOWOLF

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:59 PM

The paint was, in a word, bad. I had a podfull turn from good to a grapevine in about 40mins (or less, i loaded it in deadzone four, went to pull it in colleville, and the paint had clumped together. yes, I had been using that pod over the course of the day, no, that hadn't happened before, yes, that was the only time it happened to me, and at that paint price, yes, once is too many times!)

I personally didn't see much cheating- heard about plenty, but didn't see any, and I won't comment either way, since both sides, I'm sure, were guilty of it.

I would like the refs to be a little bit better informed- at sword we had germans coming down onto the beach to get flanking fire into us, and at Pegasus the FJR apparently swam out into the sea, walked through a minefield, and re-inserted behind us (between us and sword). I'm not saying they purposely did that- I'm saying last I'd heard, a ref actually led them there and inserted them there.

the air was good, the line was quick, ditto that for chrono the night before the main game- and I chronoed two of my guns, and some of our tank's guns.

Personally, I'd like to see some work done to the damn showers- those things are nasty enough to even drive *me* away (hygene...yeah, right. you seen the floors of those BOINKers? ew), and I'd really like it if that DAMN TOUR CHOPPER PAD was moved.

and yeah, the skirmishes around the deadzones were kind of annoying. I saw some people nearly get hit and get really heated- I took one or two when I was already out (Sitting in the shade outside the DZ, they really need to make those things bigger) that were just overspill from a running firefight between some commonwealth guys and some Germans.

Other than that? I had a good time. Though, to be honest, I think i actually had a better time in a lot of the mini games than in the main one.
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.

http://onpaintball.blogspot.com/

#13 User is offline   Tiger 

• Tiger-Team Wetworkz
  • Pip

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:50 AM

View PostSwaar Flitz, on Jun 15 2009, 07:48 PM, said:

i thought it was good. me and my friends went 1st id, and we got messed up bad on omaha. it seemed like taking omaha was impossible. i didn't like that very much, we didn't get any help from rangers or airborne. other than that impossible objective i thought it was awesome. it was my first time going and i had a lot of fun.

I'm gonna just pass most of this whole comment off as it seems to be, you're just confused, or new to DDay, since you've got 3 total posts.

/ end nice PC junk.

Son, I'm not sure what game you were at, or if you stayed on the field all day or not, or whatever. But just FYI: you had ALL 3 Ranger BN's covering you guys. After hitting Utah, we moved to Omaha, after the others helped where they were, they hit Omaha from the other side. Not to mention that YES there were AB units all around you as well. Perhaps you just needed to get up off the beaches finally, and come up to the trenches and guns to join the fighting? Maybe the 101st PF that were down in the valley near you as well, could have helped you find your way up?
Rangers 1st BN
Kickin' and Takin' BOTH, since 2002

"Alone I am Lethal. As a Team I Dominate."
Éire go Brách
----------------
Tiocfaidh ár lá

2006 SPPL Finals 4th Place
2007 SPPL Finals 6th Place

#14 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:02 AM

Airborne and 1st ID - this is a review of the event, not of the units and how they did or did not work well together. Take that up with your respective commanders and plan for next year if required.

Moving on.
Member of Team Akkadian

#15 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:43 AM

View PostKrazy8, on Jun 15 2009, 06:17 PM, said:

Yes I saw poor sportsmanship...I was accused of breaking the rules when we engauged Germans in Cauhn after respawning right there. They said we could not, yet our ref told us it was fine...I have no idea who was truely right...but I tend to sid witht he guys in the Purple shirts who have been running the game far longer than I have been playing there!

This is a ref issue. You guys were NOT supposed to re-insert there, but I also have personally confirmed that you guys WERE told incorrectly by a referee. This is an issue I have already brought up to the game coordinators. So the problem lay not with the 1 CAN PARA (or any other Allied players), but with certain staff members.

This post has been edited by JackRock: 16 June 2009 - 07:44 AM

This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users