Special Ops Paintball: Ion Body mod and QEV installation - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Body mod and QEV installation

#1 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:58 PM

by jaggy13

First carefully disassemble the marker. Take the shell off of the body and take this opportunity to clean and lube the bolt.
From here there a couple ways to do the mod.
1. cut the shell to allow for the QEV to be installed after the shell is in place.
2. Cut the shell so that it can be installed and removed without the QEV being removed. (this is my favorite, so we will focus on this one.)

Hobbydad came up with this and supplied the photos for me to use. (Total genius!)

hobbydad
As far as the cutting goes, I used a Dremel with a diamond cut off wheel attached. You could probably use almost any type of cut off wheel Dremel makes, but the diamond wheel is very thin, and it removes very little material. I'm positive that you could NOT cut it by hand with any type of knife/blade, without totally hacking it up. The body is thicker and heavier duty than most think.

When cutting, start at the original rectangular opening (where the banjo fitting you just removed would normally sit). Make 2 small angled cuts outward from the front corners of that rectangle, to about a 1/16" of an inch from the body line. Then simply follow the body line to the front of the body in 2 straight lines. Remember to stay about 1/16" in from the body line on these straight cuts as well. That's it, your done. Just remember to take your time, you don't want to hack anything up. If it's done right, it's almost impossible to detect the mod from outside of the gun. Hope that helps a little.

With the shell off cut a section out as shown in this picture.
Posted Image

Next install the QEV using lock-tight or Teflon tape. (Use blue lock-tight not red) If Teflon is used, be very careful to apply so that as you screw the fitting on it is not unraveling the tape. Also be sure not to block any of the port with the tape.
DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE QEV!!!
These are brass fittings and will snap. There is no reason to ever tighten these more than finger tight. The lock-tight or Teflon are recommended so that you can leave the QEV facing the correct way and still be loose. Its not going any where, do not try to force it.

Posted Image

For my install I choose to not use the supplied or standard barb fitting. I have had experience with them in the past, and did not want to deal with replacing the pneumatic line. This fitting is 100% optional. More cutting is required for clearance of the shell.

Posted Image

Now to re-assemble. Connect the pneumatic line the barb or QD (Quick disconnect fitting that I use) (some line may need to be trimmed. Take you time here. Make sure there are no kinks.)
Install the grip frame and insert the back screw and start the screw but leave loose.
Now insert the removed piece of shell in front of reg and under barrel.

Posted Image

Line up holes and insert screws. Try to tighten them all a little at a time to ensure none bind up. (as soon as one starts to get snug, move to the next until they are all tight.)

[Pic removed to conform to rules.]

Finished product from the front.

The other method would be to simply cut holes in the body to allow for the QEV to be installed. The down side is that it will have to be removed to remove the shell. This way you can simply remove the shell and leave the QEV installed.

If lock-tight was used. Let the marker sit for 24 hours to allow it to cure. It may even be a good idea to install the QEV, wait 24 hours, then assemble the marker.
If Teflon was used. It should be ready for action!

This is how to prepare the QEV for the install.

First, take a small pice of teflon tape.

Posted Image

Next install the tape on the QEV and ensure that no tape is blocking the inlet hole.

Posted Image

Install the QEV onto the body ( the brass fitting is a Quick disconect. 100% optional, will not affect performance, but will allow for removing the board many more times with out needing to replace the hose.)

Posted Image

Slide shell on

Install banjo fittings and attach board.

Posted Image

Attach trigger frame
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#2 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:49 PM

Cool! ;)

Sticky?

#3 User is offline   druid 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:35 AM

I'm sure it will be if the mods deem it worthy
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#4 User is offline   Galihad 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Galihad

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:00 AM

what QEV was he using that required modding the body like that? I have a Clippard which I thought was one of the largest, and if fit easily no modding required.

also I personally would recommend against locktite, just doesn't seem nessecary to me teflon tape is easier to find, and about the same price with out that messy Permanent issue that Locktite has
Christian paintballers -beating the hell out of satan with tiny balls-
Sabre #117
My feedback!:click here

#5 User is offline   The Desacrator 

• You called down the thunder. Now reap the whirlwind.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Desacrator

Posted 29 December 2007 - 05:33 PM

Since when do you have to mod the entire body to put a QEV in?

Pura Vida My Feedback +8/-0 My Sale "Pump players for the most part I mean they're kind of disturbed
individuals from what I can tell. These are the kind of people that go hunting with a spear." - Mike Philips

#6 User is offline   druid 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:10 AM

View PostGalihad, on Dec 29 2007, 09:00 AM, said:

what QEV was he using that required modding the body like that? I have a Clippard which I thought was one of the largest, and if fit easily no modding required.

also I personally would recommend against locktite, just doesn't seem nessecary to me teflon tape is easier to find, and about the same price with out that messy Permanent issue that Locktite has

That appears to be an ANS qev. It was made by SmartParts years before the 360 was even designed.

The body mod is to make it that you can slide the body off the back of the marker while the QEV and firing assy is still relatively in place.

Locktite is only recommended if you use the QD attachment on the QEV but you don't need red...you can use blue. Otherwise yes...teflon tape is the way to go.

View PostThe Desacrator, on Dec 29 2007, 07:33 PM, said:

Since when do you have to mod the entire body to put a QEV in?

You don't. It's just to make it easier to remove the body so if you have an 'eye' or detent issue...you don't have to rip the whole marker down...just slide the body off and on again. You can't do that without the body mod...even if just with the banjos.
I got my OWN smiley...

#7 User is offline   Galihad 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Galihad

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:19 PM

very good point Druid that is very interesting, might have to try this now. especially with the disaster of a day I had yesterday...
Christian paintballers -beating the hell out of satan with tiny balls-
Sabre #117
My feedback!:click here

#8 User is offline   deltapaintball 

• Josh Foote
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:deltapaintball

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:35 PM

View PostPhilipp122, on Dec 28 2007, 11:49 PM, said:

Cool! :)

Sticky?

I dont think there is enough need to make this a sticky.
Coming soon.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users