• You cannot reply to this topic

DMW! Dead man's walk. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Bone37 

• The Chicago 37th S.P.S. Heavy Gunner
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Bone37

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:25 PM

This tactic is very controversial, some consider it cheating, others think its just fun.
When done correctly... hands down, finger on the trigger and no barrel bag in place its a very successful move.
This move must be executed with great skill and you must be ready to get lit up!
I have used this several times in my years playing some times it works... sometimes not so much.
It works in both walk on woods ball games and scenarios. I must stress I'm not advocating cheating, just a good time.
Posted Image

37sps.com

#2 User is offline   LoveMyMagMoreThanYou 

• CPPA #1875
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Undying

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:31 PM

It's not cheating, but it is outlawed on some fields. I was playing a game once and a guy tried to pull off a dead man's walk but he obviously didn't know how to do it. He was walking off the field with his hands in the air. Everytime that he came into my view, he put up his hands. So, in the interest of fair play, I didn't shoot him. Then he shoots me in the back when he passes by. As long as you adhere to the rules, it's a good move. But don't cheat.

:usa:

#3 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:31 PM

I don't think it's cheating. I believe it is simply capitalizing on the other team's apathy or lack of observation.

However, if the gun goes over the players head, OR they say "hit" or "out", then it is no longer a valid tactic. On many fields, if the barrel sock is in place over the muzzle of the marker, then the player has effectively called themselves out.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#4 User is offline   Bone37 

• The Chicago 37th S.P.S. Heavy Gunner
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Bone37

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:36 PM

I'm 3 for 5 on the DMW in a 3 year period those two that didn't work I got LIT UP! like 30 or more bb's at close range. When it does work its freaking funny.
Posted Image

37sps.com

#5 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:02 PM

There's been a number of topics on this in the past in the General Paintball Discussions. The overall consensus is, yes, it's legal and not cheating unless stated otherwise, BUT you shouldn't do it except in rare circumstances because it undermines player honor. People don't play as nice or grant as many courtesies to their fellow players when there's the very real likelihood that they will pull something like this.

When it's okay: Major scenarios that have a "total war" mentality. Some scenarios are more "friendly" or set in stone than others. An example of a total war scenario are BlackCat's games: if you come up with a great idea for how to do something that wasn't originally in the script or a possibility they didn't consider, there's a VERY good chance they'll write up rules to make it playable on the spot. It's a situation where player innovation and non-standard tactics are encouraged. There is no honor lost because it's part of the game. You are expected to do anything you can within the rules to win.

When it's not okay: Just about anywhere else. Rec games, or scenarios with a more friendly and fixed atmosphere. It's not a good thing to do, to prey on peoples' trust in a game that so firmly depends on it.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#6 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:32 PM

Very good points, WW. I never did think about it that way. Granted, I've never performed the maneuver myself, so I never really devoted time to the concept.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#7 User is offline   DZ Unit-1 

• Cacophony Pony
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DZ Unit-1

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:05 PM

i never attempted a dead man walk
my dead man stand on the otherhand was a huge success =3
Posted Image
"and DZ, I love that pic so much. If you were a girl, and not just a dude who looked like a girl, I would kiss you." mrwaterbuffalo, 1:17 AM "DZ, what are you?" -SnV- "He are legend." -Veritech Squad-

#8 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:21 AM

I have never liked the DMW, legal in the rules or not. It promotes dishonor among players that use it, as well as makes players shoot players that are truly out and leaving the engagement area. It promotes mistrust on the field and for what? The almighty win? It's a game for God's sake. Nations won't fall if you are eliminated...but there are those who use this tactic because they simply suck and need to try and pull a sly move to get the 'win.'

If I'm ever in doubt on who I think is a DMW'er, I shoot them anyway. This isn't right for those that are being a good sport and leaving the field. If it weren't for the DMW'er, this wouldn't happen at all.
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#9 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:59 AM

If you do a DMW properly you really kick yourself for not confirming if he's dead or not. A proper DMW is that you give no single that you're dead, not gun or hand up, no saying hit, dead or other wise. Now as a ref if I see a player casually walk out of a bunker I'm calling him out just becuase it's reflex, so not only do you have to have then nerve to walk out in the open trying to fool your oppenant you have to hope a ref sees what you're doing or doesn't see so your not bagged.

#10 User is offline   LoveMyMagMoreThanYou 

• CPPA #1875
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Undying

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:01 AM

The reason people started bonus balling was because of the dead man's walk. This is why the tactic has fallen into disrepute. I personally don't like the move. The ONLY reason that it ever worked on me was because the opponent cheated (see above). He got a good talking to from the owner of the field also. Just beware that some fields don't allow the DMW because of bonus balling. They want to provide a newbie friendly atmosphere. I agree with them.

:usa:

#11 User is offline   undeadmouse 

• Look! An undead mouse!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:undeadmouse

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:40 AM

Nope, never done that. Changed teams once though.

Hide in shame from my lack of aim! - Pump Member 112 (It's been over 2 years, okay?) ...blah dropped to 54% shot efficiency.
I'm back from a long long long time of no paintball, drooling over markers older then I am.

#12 User is offline   paintslinger99 

• ITS NOT AN ION!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:paintslinger99

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:47 AM

one suggestion if your going to pull a dead mans walk i noticed a good addition. if your shooting it out and you throw your pods down. pick them up and start walking, saw a guy pull it at a scenario it was pretty funny.

#13 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:39 AM

I'd like to see someone TRY to do a Deadman Walking in a Scenario Game.

And actually, Deadman Walking is not much of a Tactic, its actually more of a Trick to see who is actually paying attention and yes, its True most fields dont allow for it to be used, cus it can start some serious arguments.

This post has been edited by Evil Fingers: 29 October 2007 - 11:43 AM

#14 User is offline   mr. thunderclese 

• killah
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mr. thunderclese

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:42 AM

my philosophy for people just walking around the field is(except the ref/photographer) , if you're on the field and your hand isn't up you're getting shot. If i cant tell one hundred percent that you are not in the game i naturally assume you're still in.

#15 User is offline   overt 

• Old enough to know better, too young to care
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:overt

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:43 AM

i was the victim of a DMW one time. this guy cam onto an xball field with a talon and needless to say everyone was puzzled. but apparently he had done this before because a couple of the guys were saying stuff like don't let the talon fool you he knows what he's doing. anyways i break up to the fifty and i'm covering the left side because the rest of my team went right (the plan works as long as i stay in). all of the sudden i feel a shot in my back, i check for paint and i'm hit so i call out. i turn around to see who got me and it was the guy with the talon. he went on to take out two more players before he got hit. i was mystified how my team let him just waltz up.

i left the field to refill everything and decided to watch him play another game. he did the same exact thing again! the way he worked it was he didn't really try to pretend he was out, he somehow figured out how to treewalk an xball field which i didn't even think you could do the way it was laid out. i found out later that the guy was an ex professional but i never got his name.

Proud EPIC owner #1

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users