• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Freshly camo'd X7 Please tell me what you think. Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   marksman1941 

• Not bad for a first deer
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:08 PM

Sounds good. I suppose you can't get much worse than the hi-gloss of the barrel before the paint. I'll have to run on down to wally world or somewhere and pick some up. I haven't handled it too much, but I can already see where my thumb sits on the grip. It scratches really easy too. I can't imagine trying to play a round with it without totally killing the paint job. So, as far as the clear coat application goes, should I just spray on a coat (liberally or thinly?), let it dry, repeat the process and get on 2-3 coats? Or what is the best way to apply it?

View PostSilent-7, on Apr 26 2009, 08:59 PM, said:

That aside, it looks really really good! I wasn't sure about the reddish color when you first added it, but all three colors together look really really good. And the pattern that you created is very unique - should be functional too. Well done sir! :D

You should have seen my face when we got done with the second coat (red on tan). My first thought was "wow, cool design", and my second thought was "Oh my gosh what have I done to my gun!" But it's all prettified now and I'm happy with it. I haven't been able to see how it blends with the woods around here, but I'm thinking it might be too bright. May have to try the same thing, but with less tan and olive drab as the base.

edit: double posted it somehow

This post has been edited by marksman1941: 27 April 2009 - 01:10 PM

Feedback +2/-0

#17 User is offline   Silent-7 

• Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Silent-7

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

When it comes to applying ANY kind of spray paint, clear-coat or otherwise, numerous light coats are better than a few heavy or moderate coats. And make sure you allow GOOD drying time. It takes a lot more patience to do it that way, but it's well worth it if you want a nice paint job in the end.
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   marksman1941 

• PipPip

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

So hang it back up, then hit it with a light coating of clear coat, let it dry for 5-6 hours, then repeat? Get on 2-3 coats or so? Or shoud I put on more than that? By the way, thanks for helping me with this.

Finall got some pics of it fully dried and in decent lighting.
Attached File  Dried_full_camo_7.JPG (302.98K)
Number of downloads: 8
Attached File  Dried_full_camo_8.JPG (288.95K)
Number of downloads: 11
Attached File  Dried_full_camo_9.JPG (314.58K)
Number of downloads: 18

This post has been edited by marksman1941: 27 April 2009 - 04:54 PM

Feedback +2/-0

#19 User is offline   MedicOni 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:49 PM

I'm liking that camo pattern. Looks good

#20 User is offline   marksman1941 

• PipPip

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

Thank you. Honestly, if anyone wanted this done, my brother or I would be happy to do it. It's pretty simple, but it's also fairly easy to mess up, especially when you start trying to get the stripes looking right and stuff.
Feedback +2/-0

#21 User is offline   Silent-7 

• Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Silent-7

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:49 PM

With the new pictures it's official: I love it!

And the paint can should have instructions for dry times and/or recoat times. Just go by that, and do as many coats as you want. As long as they're even, it'd be hard to do too many. But three is probably plenty.

Once again, awesome job!
Posted Image

#22 User is offline   marksman1941 

• PipPip

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:57 PM

Thank you. It's nicce to hear that it's appreciated. I wish the left half looked as good as the right half does, but it really doesn't matter. I think I'll put on the clear coat tomorrow after school (I still haven't finished showing it off to everyone who might care :P ). Then, hopefully this weeknd, I'll be able to break my abstinence from paintballing (since last summer! It's been like 7 or 8 months! That's way too long) and see how it does. Oh, I don't know if I already said this, but the barrel on the gun is a 20in Smart Parts Tactical, and the barrel next to it is a 14in Evil barrel kit. I only have one back for it, so I figured "Why not paint it? Might as well make it match". Anyways, I'll get pics up of it in action by next week (I hope)
Feedback +2/-0

#23 User is offline   marksman1941 

• PipPip

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:17 PM

Finally got all three clear coats on and dried, and it really changes the look. It doesn't look nearly as flat, yet it's not shiny enough to give me away if the sun hits it.
Attached File  Dried_clear_coat_1.JPG (154.84K)
Number of downloads: 11
Attached File  Dried_clear_coat_2.JPG (116.33K)
Number of downloads: 13
Attached File  Dried_clear_coat_3.JPG (131.91K)
Number of downloads: 12
Attached File  Dried_clear_coat_4_Back.JPG (147.81K)
Number of downloads: 13
Feedback +2/-0

#24 User is offline   Patrick15 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Raiden205

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:30 AM

That gun is awesome looking! Good job ;)
Wish I had that much talent to paint one of my guns, let alone paint at all lol
Official Sabre #809 If We Cannot Do It, It Does Not Need To Be Done

My God is AWESOME. You should get to know Him.

#25 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:01 AM

that looks really good......if you dont like how shiny it is, you can always add a few more layers of clear coat and give it a buffing with some steel wool.....

#26 User is offline   marksman1941 

• PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:39 AM

Thank you. As far as talent goes, I have none (neither does my brother, who did most of this). Literally, all we did was put on the base layer, then take a handful of thick, heavy grass and hold it about 1/4 inch away from the gun (the farther away you are, the more blurring you will get around the edges), and put a fairly light coat of paint on, enough to leave paint, but not enough to look thick. It dried over night, and the next day we did the same thing with the third layer. You can try to match up the stripes (like he did on the right side of the grip), which looks really cool, or try to make it random (i.e., no pattern), which may help break up the profile better. If you want more detail on it, you can PM me, but it's really not that hard. Go out and get some Krylon camo paint, 3-4 colors, and find a smooth log or stick of something, and practice on that until you feel confident enough to do your gun. The material is definitely different to work with, but at least you'll have some practice with the patterning. Thanks again for the compliments. And I like the idea about buffing out the shine. I have 3 clear coats on it already, but I may put on a few more and try the buffing thing, just to see how it works.
Feedback +2/-0

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users