Insect Bites Insects and You
Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:21 AM
This information is a direct copy from various websites. (This information is not complete, everyone should do their own research.)
No matter where you are, there is a chance that you can run into a bee and accidentally get stung. While only 4% of the population is allergic to bee stings, which can be fatal, they can still be painful to the remainder. Please remember also, just because you have never had an allergic reaction before, doesn’t mean that you won’t this time!
Insect bites cause allergic reactions due to the venom released by the bug. Most reactions to insect bites are mild and cause little more than an annoying itching or stinging sensation and mild swelling, both of which disappear within a day or so. A delayed reaction may cause fever, hives, painful joints and swollen glands. Most insect bites can be treated easily at home, but if a person starts experiencing a severe reaction after a bite, call 911.
After a sting
After you are stung, try to move away from the stinging insect. Bees will alert other bees, making them more likely to sting. Remain as calm and quiet as possible. Movement will increase the spread of venom in your bloodstream.
If the stinger is still in your skin, remove it within 30 seconds of the sting. Delay in removing the stinger is likely to increase the amount of venom you receive. You can:
Flick the stinger out with your finger.
Gently scrape it out with something like a butter knife or credit card.
Gently place cellophane tape over the stinger and surrounding skin. Pull the tape off the skin to remove the stinger.
Avoid pinching the stinger out with your fingers or tweezers because this can release more venom into your skin.
If you have been stung on the arm or leg, lower the limb at the time of the sting to slow the spread of venom. Hours later, if swelling is present, you can elevate the limb to help reduce swelling.
Relieving pain, itching, and swelling
Apply an ice pack to a bite or sting for 15 to 20 minutes once an hour for the first 6 hours. Always keep a cloth between your skin and the ice pack, and press firmly against all the curves of the affected area. Do not apply ice for longer than 15 to 20 minutes at a time, and do not fall asleep with the ice on your skin.
When not using ice, keep a cool, wet cloth on the bite or sting for up to 6 hours.
After the first 6 hours, if swelling is not present, try applying warmth to the site for comfort.
Try a nonprescription medicine for the relief of itching, redness, and swelling.
An antihistamine taken by mouth (such as Benadryl or Chlor-Trimeton) may help relieve itching, redness, and swelling.
A toxic reaction to a single sting or bite, by spiders or insects that may cause this include:
Black widow spider.
Brown recluse spider.
Puss caterpillar (woolly slug). (follow this link for a picture, you won’t let this guy stay on you for long!)
A bee leaves it stinger behind and then dies after stinging.
Wasps, including hornets and yellow jackets, can sting over and over. Yellow jackets cause the greatest number of allergic reactions.
A fire ant attaches to a person by biting with its jaws, then, pivoting its head it stings from its abdomen in a circular pattern at multiple sites.
Mosquito bites, while intensely annoying, are rarely serious in their own right. Over-the-counter (OTC) medications are usually enough to treat the itch and any swelling. Yet mosquitoes can transmit harmful pathogens with their bites, causing serious diseases like West Nile virus, malaria and encephalitis. So, the wisest way to protect your self is to prevent bites in the first place.
Infected bites - if the red area around the bite continues to enlarge, becomes more swollen and painful, and starts to drain pus, then it has become infected.
More serious infection – if the redness and drainage continue to worsen, or you a develop fever or red streaks extending out from the bite, then you should see your doctor right away. If it is after hours, you should page your doctor. You will probably need antibiotics to treat the infection.
WHEN TO SEE OR CALL THE DOCTOR
Besides as stated above under infection, there are three other situations that may require the doctor’s attention.
Bites on the ear – the cartilage in the ear is more susceptible to becoming infected from an insect bite. Follow the precautions as above to prevent infection, but also be sure to use warm soaks from the start (instead of only if an infection sets in). If it does become infected, see your doctor. You may need antibiotics sooner than normal bites.
Brown Recluse spider bites – this particular spider bite can form a large purple irregularly shaped blister surrounded by a red ring. Over the next few days, the blister opens and an ulcerated area forms. This looks like an infected crater forming at the bite. If you suspect this bite, see your doctor. This ulcerated area can continue to enlarge if not treated promptly by a physician. This brown spider has a dark-orange violin-shaped mark on it’s head and tends to live in dark, dry places such as vacation homes or abandoned houses. If you can, bring the spider to your doctor or ER.
Black widow – this spider has a red hourglass on the body. Bites from this spider have a 5 % fatality rate. The bite seems normal, but within less than an hour generalized symptoms occur, including muscle cramps, painful muscle spasms, loss of sensation or tingling, headache, dizziness, vomiting, or trouble swallowing. Go to an ER or call 911 if you are bitten by a known black widow spider or you experience theses symptoms. Bring the spider with you.
So, there you go now you know something about bug bites and what to do.
Posted 24 December 2008 - 05:16 PM
I haaate insects..
Got chased down a mountain by yellow jackets once with about 30 bites/stings
and last year in lacrosse i picked up my helmet during halftime and there was an enormous wasp on my finger.
Luckily I wiped it out before i put it on :nododgy:
Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:14 PM
This post has been edited by Iron Eagle: 28 December 2008 - 06:17 PM
Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:19 PM
I would have been screaming at the top of my lungs! Nice thread.
<div align="center"><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF00FF--><span style="color:#FF00FF"><!--/coloro-->Lick<!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro--> My<!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro--> Face!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=167638&hl=" target="_blank">Feedback</a><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:06 PM
On a serious note, a good repellent applied correctly can help prevent some stings and bites, and there are even wristbands (similar to the colored Live Strong, etc. types) that the military uses to keep the critters away. You can find the wrist bands at U.S. Calvary.
In the Southern/Central U.S., fire ants are the most lethal threat out there- so be extra careful and look out for mounds.
Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:27 PM
One bite on my hand, it it becomes a ball.
No, It's not pretty.
Aaron: Alcohol sucks balls. / Fen: No, that's what I do. / Me - Fen sucks balls! / Fen - Only yours Epic.
Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:38 PM
All I can add is this:
Bug Repellent is your friend!
The last few scenarios Ive played involved alot of crawling around in thick brush...and getting eaten alive by chiggers (which seem to really love my feet for some strange reason.) There are few things on this planet more irritating than chigger bites. The compulsion to scratch is maddening...
Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:17 AM
Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:56 PM
Ticks SUCK (no pun intended). I've had them dig in almost all places of my body but just want to put in the information regarding how to remove them. The easiest method I found is:
1) Light match
2) Blow out match
3) Touch burnt end to tick
4) Remove by hand
Don't rip them out, their heads will rip off (yeah, there's a tick head lodged in my neck from years before). Once they're out crush them with a hard object. They're very resilient and will survive a stomp from a shoe.
Myself I do have terrible reactions to bug bites. If stung by a bee I'll be swollen for 7+ days.
My BST Feedback: +3/0