• You cannot reply to this topic

Save paintball in California. Cali Ballers need you! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:BIGBOSS_202

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:13 PM

Their is a bill in the California State Cenate and Legislator that may have a serious effect on the paintball community. In my opinion, if this bill is allowed to pass, it can spread like a wild fire to other states.

http://www.facebook....allinCalifornia

Check this link out and voice your thoughts on this bill. It dosen't matter what form of paintball you go for. This bill will affect the sport as a hole, so please help this cause.
JOIN THE WOODSBALL REVOLUTION

#2 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:53 PM

http://forum.special...howtopic=186156

Already been covered.

Reality is, nobody outside of California residents and businesses can do much of anything. Wish them well in their fight.

And in my opinion, you're wrong about it "spreading like wildfire to other states." California has a lot of unique laws compared to other states. While it's true that ideas that start in California find their way to other places, we're a far cry from being anywhere near the same situation as them.

This isn't an attack on paintball as an intended target; paintball in California will just be one who suffers tremendous collateral damage.
Member of Team Akkadian

#3 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:45 PM

View PostThalion, on 10 June 2011 - 06:53 PM, said:

Already been covered.

Reality is, nobody outside of California residents and businesses can do much of anything. Wish them well in their fight.

And in my opinion, you're wrong about it "spreading like wildfire to other states." California has a lot of unique laws compared to other states. While it's true that ideas that start in California find their way to other places, we're a far cry from being anywhere near the same situation as them.

This isn't an attack on paintball as an intended target; paintball in California will just be one who suffers tremendous collateral damage.

I see your point their but, it will hurt the industry and the economy their. Plus in my opinion, those who are opposed to paintball and/or airsoft in general can use California as an example (If bill passes) to enact similar legislation in their states.

#4 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

it shows legal precedence, yes
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#5 User is offline   The Catshack Reports 

• Editor & Chief - The Catshack Reports Paintball News
  • PipPip

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

View PostThalion, on 10 June 2011 - 03:53 PM, said:

Already been covered.

I could not disagree more!.... Looking at the big picture, we as a paintball community must come together on every circumstance such as this. I am from Ontario Canada and from where I stand if the bill had succeeded, it would have had a ripple effect that would have been felt throughout the paintball community on a global scale. Not only would regional fields been put out of business but manufacturers would have suffered a huge setback and possibly forced to close their doors. California IS one if not the biggest hub for paintball in the world, I for one am prepared to email, mail, and personally appear whenever possible should paintball be threatened anywhere!
Editor & Chief, The Catshack Reports Paintball News- http://www.catshackreports.com
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:58 AM

View PostThe Catshack Reports, on 19 June 2011 - 03:01 PM, said:

I could not disagree more!.... Looking at the big picture, we as a paintball community must come together on every circumstance such as this. I am from Ontario Canada and from where I stand if the bill had succeeded, it would have had a ripple effect that would have been felt throughout the paintball community on a global scale. Not only would regional fields been put out of business but manufacturers would have suffered a huge setback and possibly forced to close their doors. California IS one if not the biggest hub for paintball in the world, I for one am prepared to email, mail, and personally appear whenever possible should paintball be threatened anywhere!

The problem isn't whether or not we are impacted. It's whether or not California legislators would listen to those of us who don't reside in their state. We may be impacted collectively, but only Californian companies and individuals could do anything about it.

At the end of the day, politicians only care what the people who vote for them think. They don't care what people in other states, regions, or other countries think. We don't keep them in power. Email away, but the moment they know you're not in California, they won't care.

Just like I'm convinced the Canadian Parliament would ignore anything I write/email to them regarding policy.

My comment on wildfire - While it would impact us because of the companies with infrastructure in California, other states wouldn't copy the law just because California passed it. That's what I was getting at.
Member of Team Akkadian

#7 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• PipPip

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:07 AM

View PostThalion, on 20 June 2011 - 08:58 AM, said:

My comment on wildfire - While it would impact us because of the companies with infrastructure in California, other states wouldn't copy the law just because California passed it. That's what I was getting at.

I wouldn't go feeling all safe now, what this bill does is show legal precedence, therefore making it a LOT easier to pass a similar bill in another state. Now I understand that CA has some weird gun laws (Assault Weapon Law....) but that's not to say that if this bill passes, similar legislation won't start popping out of the woodwork. Maybe it won't, but i'd rather not take that chance if i can help it.

Side note: i just saw that the bill has been amended to exclude paintball. Band-Aid measure IMO, I still think we should fight this bill.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#8 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:04 AM

View PostEagle Eye, on 20 June 2011 - 02:07 PM, said:

View PostThalion, on 20 June 2011 - 08:58 AM, said:

I wouldn't go feeling all safe now, what this bill does is show legal precedence, therefore making it a LOT easier to pass a similar bill in another state. Now I understand that CA has some weird gun laws (Assault Weapon Law....) but that's not to say that if this bill passes, similar legislation won't start popping out of the woodwork. Maybe it won't, but i'd rather not take that chance if i can help it.

Side note: i just saw that the bill has been amended to exclude paintball. Band-Aid measure IMO, I still think we should fight this bill.

I'm in agreement. Our cousins (Airsoft players) are still in the cross hairs. All this because of the actions of a 13 year old. I'm wondering were that child's parents were. Then again, your right about California having very weired laws to begin with. I'm in favor of a video campaign and we should also mention the lack of parental responsibility on this one.

#9 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• PipPip

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:18 PM

I posted this in PBnation, figure y'all can read a copy:

"Like it or hate it, but Airsoft is tied into Paintball, both with legal repercussions and economically. More and more i'm seeing local fields opening "airsoft nights" as a way to bring in extra revenue, even some of the bigger fields like D-Day Adventure park has a big scenario game for airsoft now. The economy has been sucking, and times are hard for the average paintballer/ small field owner. Losing the extra cash flow from airsoft could have a large negative impact on paintball fields, and paintball as a whole.

Legally, if airsoft is banned it sets a legal precedence for anyone down the road who wants to ban paintball. We know how different the sports are, but the judge in the courtroom probably doesn't. Airsoft players have done some stupid stuff in public. Paintball players have done some stupid stuff in public. You can't sit on the high horse and proclaim how much better one is than the other. Though it may not "look" like a real gun, paintball markers still launch a projectile at just under 300 feet per second and are a danger to people not wearing the proper safety gear. It's not hard to link that to this airsoft ban (if it passes), regardless of the "caliber being over 10mm." Just take a look at the "assault weapons" law (California Penal Code section 12276). The way they broadly classify firearms into "assault weapons" only gives us a taste of what they can do to "non-lethal projectile weapons" such as airsoft and paintball.

A kid got shot because a cop thought it was a real gun, which is the "real issue." I own several milsim markers, as well as speedball. I have a friend who scared the cop who pulled him over because he had a "brightly colored" speedball gun in the backseat in plain view. The color, hell even sometimes the shape doesn't always guarantee that a police officer will not err on the side of caution when confronted with a paintball marker, even more so with airsoft guns with the bright orange tip. Carrying, playing with, or just pulling an airsoft gun/ paintball marker out of your car's trunk openly in public is just asking for trouble. Using gear/gun bags, and a little common sense will stop these issues a lot better than this bill will. I'm not going to harp on parenting, the police and their training, store's selling what to who, there are many places one can place blame for these situations. All I'm saying is that this bill highlights an area of our sport that we need to self-correct, or the legislative bodies will "correct" it for us. But we paintballers need to help the airsoft players get this bill denied, because in the long run it benefits us too."

Oh, and early reports are saying 5-2 LOSS for CA SB798, *grin*
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• PipPip

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:14 PM

Correction, it was favored for a 5-2 win based on party lines, but ended being a 4-3 LOSS. A loss, but a close one AND the bill is able to be rewritten and resubmitted. A stay of execution mostly.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:10 PM

It's good that paintball is safe for now. Yet we need to also back the airsofters on this one regardless.

#12 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• PipPip

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:45 AM

It's only a stay of execution, the bill is scheduled to be looked at again in August....
Posted Image
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users