Special Ops Paintball: What is a sniper? - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is a sniper? Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Which of the following is the sniper? Please explain. (42 member(s) have cast votes)

What is a sniper?

1. A player who waits in ambush, generally staying in friendly territory. (7 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. A player who waits in ambush, generally in enemy territory. (17 votes [30.36%])

Percentage of vote: 30.36%

3. A player out of the fray, picking of enemies with minimal paint wasted. (12 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

4. A aggresive player deep behind enemy lines with a large number of kills/shots. (7 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

5. Other. (Please explain) (13 votes [23.21%])

Percentage of vote: 23.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:33 PM

A player who waits in ambush, generally staying in friendly territory. Not sniping, this is ambushing
A player who waits in ambush, generally in enemy territory.Not sniping, this is ambushing
A player out of the fray, picking of enemies with minimal paint wasted.Near
A aggresive player deep behind enemy lines with a large number of kills/shots.No

The verb to snipe originated in the 1770s among soldiers in British India where a hunter skilled enough to kill the elusive snipe was dubbed a "sniper".
The term sniper was first attested in 1824 in the sense of the word 'sharpshooter'.

Snipers are sneaky people. They can hide, get around the field, and observe or selectively pick off the opposition.

An ambush is not sniping. If you pick off the opposition individualy it can be sniping. If you open fire on targets you reveal yourself and are not sniping.

Long shots are nothing to do with sniping - the technology of the weapons now allows for long shots, the skill of the sniper applies the use of the weapon. e.g. the 50cal machine gun is not a snipers weapon, but in the hands of a sniper it has been used as such.

Do snipers exist in paintball? They certainly did a couple of weeks ago when we tasked sniper team missions in our hosted game - with great success. They did not rely on range but camouflage and moving silently.

Why to Spec Ops list snipers? Because people want to call themselves snipers.

#17 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

Sniping is a guerrilla, hit and run (hit and slip away is more appropriate) combat technique of engaging the opponent/intended target while avoiding detection. While you can use specialized field equipment or "weapons" to carry out sniper functions, it is the act of sniping which distinguishes the "sniper" from other positions. It is also important to note that distance is an element of concealment, not necessarily a sniping requirement.

This post has been edited by Warpaint: 17 March 2009 - 07:00 PM

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   FlyingCanOpener 

• Do what it says.
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:flyingcanopener

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:38 PM

Whilst I understand the marketing pull of the term "sniper," most times on the field when I see a "sniper," I'm actually seeing more of a marksman than anything else. I'm sure there's plenty of folks who ghillie up and sit on top of a live ant pile for hours at a time, but most times you'll see snipers readjusting their position with the flow of the game, trying to keep some semblance of contact with the rest of the team. That's not a sniper in the military sense, rather in line with a designated marksman.
School teacher by weekday...paintballer by weekend. || Only the awkward question; only the foolish ask twice. --Warhammer 40k

#19 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:36 PM

A sniper is a player who focuses and relies on subtlety and stealth over firepower and frontal assaults.

#20 User is offline   mass destruction 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

Someone too lazy or too weighed down with useless crap to run.
(quote-Iron Eagle) This is why my preferred way of death is strapping a bomb to myself, walking into PETA HQ and detonating it.
(Quote-weltmaker2000) I don't call my guns pumps. I refer to them as euthanizers of the stupid.

#21 User is offline   TyTy 

• Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

View Postmass destruction, on Mar 18 2009, 10:23 PM, said:

Someone too lazy or too weighed down with useless crap to run.

Those 400lb dudes with full ghillie. You've seen 'em! They move somewhere around 40 yards the whole game, sometimes 60 if a lunch break is involved. :laugh:
-Ty

#22 User is offline   Urban Ninja 

• To conquer fear, you must become fear.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Urban Ninja

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

Sniper or no sniper. People can argue all they want about whether the position actually exists, but in the end, it's how ever you feel about it. And although others may tell you they don't exist, you can still be one.

Generally I would say a "Paintball Sniper", while lacking the range and accuracy of its military counterpart, plays a similar role. He can infiltrate the enemy's side of the field undetected. He practices the arts of stealth and patience, and avoids open firefights. He constantly engages in guerrilla-style tactics of hit-and-run(staying in a concealed position until an opportune time, taking down some opponents, and then when, his cover is blown, falling back into yet another ambush position). He can be an observer in larger games. Takes a concealed position in enemy territory and reports back via radio or other communications device. He is slow and meticulous. A sniper counts forward progression not in feet or yards, but in inches. He is very conservative in the use of his paint. He knows whether he will need lots of it or only a little. Often the sniper works alone or somewhat distanced from his team. He can be used as a tactical ambush, being gifted in stealth, and can flank with skill and class. Depending on the situation he is behind enemy lines or on his friendly side of the field. He knows his gun well. He knows how far it will shoot, and with what accuracy those shots will fall. He may have specialty items, such as a ghillie suit or some crazy scope or a ludicrously long barrel. But, while some of these things may help, they only augment the true sniper's loadout, and he can do without most of it.

Ok, now that was a bit wordy, so basically, the sniper is much more patient and much less trigger happy than the average paintballer, and is quite sneaky. Useful on either side of the field, although generally thought to be a "behind-enemy-lines" guy. And yes, many new people and campers consider themselves snipers, but are truly not. The true snipers uphold some or all of the values i expressed above. Although, once again, these classes are more of a baseline to start engineering your style of play from. Call yourself whatever you want, it doesnt matter. I, for instance, am a sniper enthusiast, but am not myself a "sniper". I'm a paintball ninja.

My thanks to those who hold sniper values close to their heart, and that they, though few, do not give up on what they have accomplished simply because of the misconceptions of others.

Urban Ninja

#23 User is offline   The Elder 

• Sharpshooter
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Phantom-Sniper

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:42 PM

If a military person can take a shot from a concealed position why cant a paintball player? I do this all the time. Usually in denser environments. The reason sniper gets a bad name is because too many noobs try to claim the position. You don't need ghillie to play the position basic camo does fine. And let me clear up a misunderstanding. Paintball snipers do best when taking a shot from up close. If you shoot from to far you will have to shoot more thus loosing your position. Also people seem scared of the word sniper and want to replace the name with stealthy marksman which is the same thing. Out of the options you listed the second one down is most ideal.

This post has been edited by The Elder: 22 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

#24 User is offline   Mercy of Spades 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mercy

Post icon  Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:18 PM

What is a sniper?

Well, that's an easy question. He's a highly trained military marksman/observer. Who specializes in concealment and incredibly accurate shots over great distances. Primarily used for recon and eliminating high profile targets.

What is a paintball sniper?

Any player who prefers to emphasize stealth and concealment over all other aspects of the game.

Why do we make such a big deal about the "one shot"? Because it's easier to stay hidden that way.

Why do we love ghillie and camo? Because it makes our stalking the opforce go a lot smoother.

Why do we prefer the stealthy tactical decision? To play on our strengths. (and not to be executed point blank :) )

Why do we like quieter markers? To keep them guessing.

Why do we like being called snipers? Because it's the closest thing that we can compare ourselves to.

Guys, honestly, we're just paintball players. That's it.

.....but, there are certain aspects of the game that we get a kick out of more than the rest of the other paintballers. And woodsball gives us an opportunity to fully realize those aspects. Now, there are those who first start thinking that they're going to be playing as some pseudo-sniper. But when they realize that you can't take those super long shots, many people back off the idea and move on to the other positions. But for some of us we fall in love with stealthily stalking the opforce and setting up nefarious ambushes.

Personally, I get the hugest adrenaline rush lying perfectly still as the opforce unknowingly walks 10ft from my position and never once realizes that I'm there...until it's too late.

Question: Why is it that when Spec Ops originally made the positions and came to sniper that they broke the role into three distinct categories? Why is it the only position that is still seriously disputed today?

Answer: Because it stems from a mindset not an actual list of tactics. And a mindset that only certain players bring to the game.

Snipers think alike in terms of their approach to paintball.

Whether you believe in longballing, using ghillie, silently flanking, camping, or ambushing we can all agree that the extensive use of stealth is gratifying. And for some of us the most rewarding part of the game.

I've never bothered with Speedball before but I bet even if they put me out there I would still be trying to surprise some poor sap with a shot from an angle that he didn't expect. It's just who I am.

When I come to the SpecOps Forum's Sniper HQ I know that I'm around like minded individuals. We can relate to one another in playing sniper, even if in nothing else. I have tons of things in common with a whole bunch of my paintball buddies, but as soon as I start talking about sniping they can't relate. And the reverse is true in here: I may have absolutely nothing in common with some of you guys but when we start talking sniper then there is an understanding.

Anyways, more power to you guys. Apologies if I went into to much detail lol :D
Jeremiah 29:11 "His promises fulfilled"

#25 User is offline   Scouting Sniper 

• Sniper
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:emerald.kontact

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:25 PM

Don't appologize at all! It was an awesome, and well written response. I have read alot of your recent posts, and i like your thoughts, Spades
Christian 'Baller

If you are under 16 and pay for your own gear, put this in your signature.

Furtim, Patientia, Veneratio

#26 User is offline   Match99 

• Hmph. He tried to take me marker.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:14 PM

I agree, I'm enjoying reading Spades thoughts more and more, and find I agree with him most of the time. Keep it up man.

#27 User is offline   Malcome93 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

I think its a tactical player combinding steath with aggression. used as a game deciding player.

"Oh Well, wherever, wherever you are, Iron Maiden's gonna get you, no matter how far. See the blood flow watching it shed up above my head. Iron Maiden wants you for dead!"

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users