• You cannot reply to this topic

trainee reffere. im going reffere training! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Hydroion 

• reality torn asunder
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Hydroion

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:20 PM

okay, tommorow (saturday 3rd february) i am off to my local feild to ref for the day.

well, when i say ref, what i mean is that im going to go learn how to. so basically im gonna be a trainee ref ( i am only 14) im one of a few going and obviously i want to get a job there. so i am gonna try my best to impress as it where.

with that in mind... any helpful CONSTRUCTIVE comments on what you'd look for in a young ref. yes i know there is a big featured post on how to be a better ref, but i am not asking how to be a better ref, i am asking what you look for in a young person who wants to be a ref. i just want to get a better idea of what they want so i have the best chance to get in.

well, anyways, i will tell you how it goes tommorow.

wish me luck!

click on my sig to see the graphics team

#2 Guest_Jester3_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:58 PM

Don't be afraid to get shot, be strong in your calls, don't criticize other refs calls in front of players, be attentive, to name a few.

#3 User is offline   emr_ambush_alpha67 

• ambush AkA the law
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ambush_alpha67

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:51 AM

like he said but make sure to keep an eye out for mask lifts... newbs are always a first to do that
~RIP~ Owego Outlaws
NJ TITANS!!! HOW WE ROLLL!!!! SOOOOOUUUTTTHHHH SSSIIIDDDEEE!!!!
~I AM THE SLINKEY~

#4 User is offline   JesterTLS 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:52 AM

Hey, how did it go! First time reffing can be a little intimdating. Hope you did well.
Team ODX (Operational Detachment X-Ray)
OSF Operator's Strike Force
www.scenariosupply.com www.cdpaintball.com

#5 User is offline   Hydroion 

• reality torn asunder
  • PipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:29 AM

i did do well! i thought it was referee training but to be honest, when i got there it was almost like i was just thrown straight in as a ref. i was shown how to screw in barrels, gas bottles put on a hopper (98 custom) and all that sort of prep stuff. then i went out on the field for pretty much the whole day. taught the signs for player in and player out and all that sort of stuff.

throughout the day we were constantly yelling at people to pull their masks down. i was suprised as i didnt realise how often it happens.

and at the end of the day i had to wash 40+ hoppers for the next day. that was about the most "work" type thing i did, and even then it was hardly a tiring task. at the end of the day i got paid £25 which i was really suprised at because i thought (as i said earlier) i was just training, not getting paid (£25 is appro. $45 - check? was off top of my head) but yeah. its brilliant and i am already going back again this wednesday to do some more marshalling.

i got shot quite alot actually. i was suprised that some people were too stupid to see the difference between black and yellow stripes and camoflauge. it was pretty ridiculous but i didnt get bunkered, just longballed mainly. but i still jump when i get shot at from no where. but yeah, its just a part of reffing and i accept it. if somone deliberatly shot at me however the other marshalls would of picked up on it and threatened the player with sitting out a game (rarely happens but it makes the player think twice before shooting at us again).

in conclusion, i love marshalling!

#6 User is offline   cjottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:22 PM

View PostHydroion, on Feb 4 2007, 12:29 PM, said:

...i got shot quite alot actually. i was suprised that some people were too stupid to see the difference between black and yellow stripes and camoflauge...

:laugh: I get lit up regularly as a ref, no matter how obvious I am. (waving garbage can lid over head... wearing fluorescent vests...) It sucks but it's made up for by being able to give something back to the sport and make sure people are safe.

#7 User is offline   Hydroion 

• reality torn asunder
  • PipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:57 PM

well i havent got completely lit up yet (ive only reffed for one day though :blink:) but i have come out of a fort COVERED from head to foot in little orange blobs of spray.

#8 User is offline   Da Ref 

• too much work no time to play
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:sniper257

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:10 PM

good to see that there are still more people out there that are willing to give it a try. Wait until your first toury then you will get to expernice the joy of being lit up. Keep gonig and you should find that reffing allows you to see more of the field and become a better player at the same time.
Its simple I saw the hit,
Your out!!

I need a job with more vacation time

#9 User is offline   Hydroion 

• reality torn asunder
  • PipPip

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:25 PM

i will post my details on the ref index soon, i will be the first spec ops ref in england :)

but im just going to wait a bit longer and get some more experience under my belt.

#10 User is offline   euglow54 

• Bring it...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:euglow54

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:30 PM

Wow, sounds like you had a good time, and learned a lot. Congrats, keep up the good work.
IPB Image
Kill by Necessity, Capture by Design
"Well, euglow54 might be the exact reason to keep the full head gear... " -Armory

#11 User is offline   ironwasp 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:ironwasp

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:32 PM

I recently read an article compairing U.S players attitudes to some other countries it stated that england players " play the game the way it was intended to be played" unlike US players who are some what dirty in their play. This was in reference to pro level play but i hope you dont have to see it and maybe some day all players will carry a good sporting attitude such as those of your countrymen.
i will give up my marker only after you pry my cold rigid fingers from the trigger

#12 User is offline   JesterTLS 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:29 AM

Hydroion, Good deal. There are different opinions of what training consist of. Some do a short training course, other teach you but putting out there doing it. You learn either way.

Glad you like it. Welcome to the Zebra club.
Team ODX (Operational Detachment X-Ray)
OSF Operator's Strike Force
www.scenariosupply.com www.cdpaintball.com

#13 User is offline   Meyou 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Meyou

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:04 AM

Ironwasp, I almost had a gigglefit at the statement about British players. I have a few friends who used to play in the South West League (If you're reading this Chris or Phil, HIYA!) And from what I heard yesterday, cheating is rather rampant.

As for tips, this is something I picked up over the last few months of Marshalling in Cardiff - Try to mingle with the players while in the safe zone, and get to know them. Share a few jokes, Humour is always good. I've found it makes them a lot more responsive to your commands when you're out on the fields. It makes your job easier, and gives them a great experience.

Which field do you Marshall at? I have a sudden urge to drop by and play...
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Tenacious Needs YOU! | WDR
Aspie 'Baller

#14 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:11 AM

View PostHydroion, on Feb 2 2007, 04:20 PM, said:

okay, tommorow (saturday 3rd february) i am off to my local feild to ref for the day.

well, when i say ref, what i mean is that im going to go learn how to. so basically im gonna be a trainee ref ( i am only 14) im one of a few going and obviously i want to get a job there. so i am gonna try my best to impress as it where.

with that in mind... any helpful CONSTRUCTIVE comments on what you'd look for in a young ref. yes i know there is a big featured post on how to be a better ref, but i am not asking how to be a better ref, i am asking what you look for in a young person who wants to be a ref. i just want to get a better idea of what they want so i have the best chance to get in.

wish me luck!

If there's a spelling test, it's referee...good luck. :unsure:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Hydroion 

• reality torn asunder
  • PipPip

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:55 AM

View PostWarpaint, on Feb 7 2007, 01:11 PM, said:

View PostHydroion, on Feb 2 2007, 04:20 PM, said:

wish me luck!

If there's a spelling test, it's referee...good luck. :P

pfft! spelling is not important!

and as for where i ref at, i ref in the south of england, westerham, NRG paintball

http://www.nrgpaintball.com/

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users