Reaction to Fire How to Steal the Initiative Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   BlackLight Z 

• Fast Mover Tactical Shooter
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:BLC_Zone

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:13 PM

Reaction to Fire
When players are fired upon, often times they will do one of three things; dive into cover and limiting your options which allows your opponent to move on you for an angle, sit like a deer in the headlights and get shot or run blindly in the direction they were already heading hoping to outrun the fire. We have to understand that the person firing at us probably has a decided advantage. We already know he has the element of surprise, but he may also have higher ground, better cover, etc. The purpose of this thread is to help level the playing field and take that advantage away. Here are some rules/techniques that will help make you a harder target when fired upon.

1)When fired upon move laterally to cover, not directly towards or away from the shooter, this means that he can’t just shoot at one point, but he has to track you to his right or left, and won't have a steady point to aim at you. This takes what is essentially a non-moving target that is moving directly at the shooter and makes you a moving target. Keep in mind that most cover does not allow players see their opponent’s movement. With this in mind, when they do take cover once you start returning fire, move up on a 45 degree angle to try and steal the initiative and gain an angle on them for an easier shot.

"A [radical concept that was introduced] to the IMEF Marines was the concept of "moving off the line of force." Repeated studies during "force on force" simunitions training by the staff at American Tactical Shooting Association have discovered that moving three to four feet off the enemy's line of attack was often all it took to steal the initiative and defeat the threat" (Soldier of Fortune, July 05).

2) Return fire while you are moving to cover. This will put some pressure back on your opponent, possibly slow him up, or even make him grab his own cover which would put you in a 1v1 situation where neither has a decided advantage. Then with movement you can take an angle and gain the advantage.

3) Play small and tight with a proper platform to maximize your accuracy.

4) Practice this with reaction to fire drills, as practice will increase your accuracy and the speed with which you can acquire emerging targets who fire upon you, survive, and eliminate them.

5) When fired upon, it is extremely important to “verbalize the threat”. Verbalizing the threat gives teammates the knowledge of where potential threats are so they can adjust their position behind cover as well as rack and stack potential targets based on threat. Most importantly though, teammates may bail you out of trouble.

Act rather than react and dictate the time, place, purpose, scope, intensity, and place of operations. The initiative must be seized, retained, and fully exploited. Dictate the pace of the game and impose your will on your opponent. You need to force him to be reactive to your fire and movement instead of the other way around. This will keep your opponents off balance and guessing. In a perfect world you will either gain a far superior angle on your opponent, or shoot them in the back as they retreat.

This post has been edited by BlackLight Z: 21 November 2010 - 09:18 PM

Z aka Zone
BlackLight Company Member
There's no charge for awesomeness!!!

#2 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

Good write up. I especially like how you mentioned that communication with your team is important. Too often new players bunker in and hope the threat goes away. Likewise, it is not uncommon for the aggressor to feel uncomfortable or want to move when he knows his position is revealed.

#3 User is offline   HOUND1 

• VVVCheese Its!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:AMRAAM11

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:48 PM

View PostBlackLight Z, on 13 November 2010 - 05:13 PM, said:

"A [radical concept that was introduced] to the IMEF Marines was the concept of "moving off the line of force." Repeated studies during "force on force" simunitions training by the staff at American Tactical Shooting Association have discovered that moving three to four feet off the enemy's line of attack was often all it took to steal the initiative and defeat the threat" (Soldier of Fortune, July 05).

I like this one, I think it has potential. I wouldn't do it if there were cover available nearby that I could easily get to, but darting a few feet to one side, keeling, and returning fire sounds like a pretty good thing to try.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:48 PM

View PostHOUND1, on 13 November 2010 - 04:48 PM, said:

View PostBlackLight Z, on 13 November 2010 - 05:13 PM, said:

I like this one, I think it has potential. I wouldn't do it if there were cover available nearby that I could easily get to, but darting a few feet to one side, keeling, and returning fire sounds like a pretty good thing to try.

I think what they meant was more along the lines of if you are moving to cover to get out of the line of fire, you should move laterally (at an angle or sideways), rather than straight away or towards the enemy so they are forced to keep adjusting their aim to the side in order to have a shot.

If you move a couple feet and stop then they don't have to stop adjusting.

True enough about putting their heads down and moving to a spot they don't expect you to be in though - do that all day with my pump (even that one game I had no shots left and mercy-killed three guys from the front with an empty gun by firing blanks at them to make them duck).

#5 User is offline   BadCompany 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:56 AM

pretty nice write up.
I gave the run to better cover lateral from the target but i didn't think to put any pressure on the guy who was shooting at me so he just stood up and had a nice track on me and pegged me right in the ear. i think it would have been a good rabbit run if i had some team mates there with me to take him when he stood up. oh well we live and learn right.

#6 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Private Silver

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:47 AM

Where'd my torch get to.........Posted Image
Posted Image
SO Feedback +2/ E-bay feedback +14

#7 Guest_Cossak11_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

when i'm fired at i usually move diagonally away from the threat never turning my back to the aggressor allowing me to cover my own retreat, once i've gotten behind cover, i move in a circle around the aggressor to gauge who i'm dealing with. if the aggressor shifts to keep his cover between us then i try to get in closer while still moving at angles. If he stays put and doesn't move atall i simply keep moving in a circle until i've got a clean line of sight and then i let em' have it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users